Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Help chose our world name for the game we're developing.

Hey guys,

So my brother and I are currently working on a game, we've done some brainstorming and out of 18 world names came up with 6 we liked.
    Now obviously we're more leaning towards our own ones that we created.
    So if you guys could help us out and tells us which ones are your favorites?
    *Edit, for some reason I cannot add the polls, could a moderator please add the poll?

I'll give you the world names here, please rate from 1-6:

Volgarth
    Progoroth
    Devos
    Dargon
    Targaros
    Aësos

All your help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Mars_Trueskills; 2015-05-27 at 11:54 AM.

Well what's the game about.

You should have it be 1 syllable imo. The ones you have there sound really generic.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Try taking your first names and turning them around backwards, see what you get. Same with your family name. Mix and match pieces, see what you can create.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aesos sounds alright but to me the names kind of feel generic like there's not much thought put into them other than what sounds cool. No offense. Think of something more creative like if the world is going to be some lava world make up a name that relates to how hot it is or how most of the world is lava like for a quick example The Furnace or Vulcan. Same goes for worlds that are of different elements like poisonous worlds, water worlds, anti-gravity worlds, Earthly worlds or whatever. That's just me, that's how I would do it. I don't like coming up with random generic names I like to get creative with stuff, again I mean no offense. I mean if you feel 100% on those names don't let my feedback deter you but I would just recommend being a little more creative and put a little more thought into them.

Thing is too I don't know the kind of design you're going for so my name ideas might not work with your game and the names you have might be better suited for the game's design. Also it would help to know if these are whole planets or just individual areas within a big world you're talking about.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-05-27 at 04:05 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll agree with everyone else, I'm sorry. They all sound bad/generic like rejected ASoIaF cities. Don't be discouraged though, just use some different brainstorming techniques and inspiration.

Edit: I agree with Gemini....use what your world is going to be like to find inspiration and linguistic sources. Find the word origins of things that describe your planet and see what language they came from. Use the original language blocks to create new words which give an echo of what it will mean to us, but not feel stale.

Here is a breakdown of real world names from Gaelic: http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/ScotLit/AS...13/Craobh.html

That shows the type of logic that we employ for real world versions, just so you can see the detail that we've used to name things. I don't recommend Gaelic as a root language though since it's so different than romance languages and has very weird pronunciations.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2015-05-27 at 04:15 PM.
    BAD WOLF

I personally like the sound of Volgarth the most from the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

I'd say keep the world/planet name itself one syllable, while getting more creative with continent/region names. A little more context on what kind of world it is would help too. Is it just some random fantasy world? Is it a sci-fi setting, and your world is or was a space colony? If it's fantasy, your names you listed sound fine, if not a bit generic (most fantasy names do, anyways). If it's sci-fi, maybe go with an acronym (i.e. the Pern series; P.E.R.N. = Parallel Earth, Resources Negligible) or something Greek or Roman (like we name new stars and planets).

Either way, best approach is to keep it simple yet meaningful.

10+ Year Old Account
    May be worth taking the time to create some lore around the people who would have named the world in the first place, did it garner it's name in the same way Earth did or was it bestowed by outside conquerors etc. May at least give you an idea as to how simple it should be and possibly which in-game/lore language.

Aësos would be my preference out of your 6, the others sound more like cities than worlds/realms/planets.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2015-05-27 at 05:02 PM.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot for all of your feedback, we will be doing some further brainstorming on the world name. It is indeed a subject that requires more thought put into it, so far you've all been incredibly helpful.
    Things we'll take into consideration when coming up with the new name:
    *Origin of the world.
    *Who named it?
    *Terrain
    *1 syllable

As others have said creative linguistics that have hidden (or even overt) descriptions or meanings to your world/inhabitants/etc are often popular. I dont agree with 1 syllable as most famous fantasy worlds that come to my mind first off are actually two, but that's opinion. Some arrangement of letters or symbol-letters that stands out are sometimes used (like Faerûn, similar to your Aësos) or change your Dargon to Dagaan or something. In the end its your creation be sure you're happy with the name above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    I dont agree with 1 syllable as most famous fantasy worlds that come to my mind first off are actually two
    That's the point, don't make something generic.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_Trueskills View Post
    Volgarth
    Progoroth
    Devos
    Dargon
    Targaros
    Aësos
    Names I like:
    Aesos
    Dargon
    Targaros

The others sound like character names, not world names.

1. Aesos is a brand of computers phonetically, and is dangerously close to Aesop (which creates an odd allusion if you ask me).
    2. Dargon is just an anagram of Dragon, so is way too generic. But I like the way it sounds, could do with some tinkering.
    3. Targaros sounds like Tartarus, which is probably why I like it. I don't think this name is all the way there either, but could be ok with some poking around.

I'd disregard anyone saying your name has to be a certain number of syllables, that's ridiculous. Pick a name based on how it sounds and what it means (hint: using half-words that share parts with words that are relevant, relevant being the keyword, is usually a good call - like Aesos and Aesop for example) not based on how many beats it has.

More information on the game would probably help too.

For instance: Let's say its about a fantasy world heavily involved with dreams.

I look up the latin word for dream - its Sominiatis.

So your world could be called Somnus.

That just took me 30 seconds, I'm sure you could do similar (obviously with more work than that) for your own subject material.

EDIT: Noticed this was very similar to what Razasmith posted above, obviously we think along the same lines.
    Last edited by Kanadei; 2015-05-28 at 01:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buttslapiron

These names make me think of a person rather than a place, but if i had to choose my favourites i'd pick Volgarth and Targaros -- maybe if you could make something else of Devos it'd be cool

10+ Year Old Account
    Aesos and Targaros are alright I guess. The others either sound like they would be fantasy cities i.e. Devos or are just kinda bad.