Deleted

Nearly 300 Britons have travelled to Zurich to die with the help of the Swiss suicide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32893689

Essentially they're talking about legalizing assisted suicide for those with 6 months or less left to live due to illness. Personally I am pro assisted suicide but then again I have a terminal condition so naturally would like the option to die peacefully and with dignity if I felt my quality of life was incredibly low. What's your view?

I am against some things. Things like legalizing heroine and such. But I am pro suicide. If anyone over the age of 18 wants to end their lives they should be able to do so. The worst thing to do is try and kill yourself and fail and wind up worse off, or be put in jail for it.

If people don't want to be here then fine. The only times I would opt against this is of they had kids or another dependent that needed them to survive. But that is a another can of worms
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    With enough oversight I don't have a problem with assisted suicide for the terminally ill and Piers Morgan.

I'm not tech savvy enough to link it, but Pratchett did a brilliant video on this.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the Swiss method is very good. It's ridiculous that it's not allowed elsewhere.
    We draw out life in hospitals to disgusting degrees - we're fine with people laying there in pain, high on morphine, shitting themselves, bleeding from pressure ulcers and begging to die. But letting them end it peacefully? Hell no, we have morals to follow.

Fun fact, the majority of doctors who's worked with keeping old people/the dying alive choose to die at home, away from doctors and "life extending" help.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-05-27 at 07:05 PM.

Deleted
    Expected more comments

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why should someone have to live longer in agony and suffer a loss to their dignity when they can leave on their own terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    With enough oversight I don't have a problem with assisted suicide for the terminally ill and Piers Morgan.
    Kalis, as always, hits the nail firmly on the head.
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." ~Kurt Vonnegut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I'm in agreement with you, adam86shadow. Terminally ill people should be allowed to end their own lives peacefully and not have their suffering drawn out, if they so choose. With careful regulation (like they have here in the Netherlands), its viable.
    We currently treat family pets with more dignity - we put them down as painlessly as possible when they become so ill that keeping them alive is the crueler option.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

My wife used to work in a reanimation health service (she's a nurse), she said it happened more than we'd think that doctors would put drugs into people close to die and suffering, shortening their life but giving them a better and more comfortable end.
    It's a society question these days, but often what I get is that families want the doctor to end the person life. One day, my wife told me " You know, even if families are in pain, they count on the doctor to do it, but for some doctors, it's again their ethics, and it's sometimes hard to hear for those families who get angry. If we had the possibility to prepare the syringe with the product inside and give the family the possibility to press the button, not many would do it ". I realized things were more complicated than what I used to think ... In fact, there were many things I didn't think about.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32893689

Essentially they're talking about legalizing assisted suicide for those with 6 months or less left to live due to illness. Personally I am pro assisted suicide but then again I have a terminal condition so naturally would like the option to die peacefully and with dignity if I felt my quality of life was incredibly low. What's your view?
    You should watch Choosing To Die, with the now late sir Terry Pratchett. It's a documentary which he made whilst he himself was investigating assisted suicide, because he was considering it for himself.
    He passed away recently as a result of his Alzheimers, so he never needed to do end it himself.

But be warned, it's a very, very emotional documentary. I somewhat regret watching the last 10 minutes of it, when you get to see a man actually die.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    My wife used to work in a reanimation health service (she's a nurse), she said it happened more than we'd think that doctors would put drugs into people close to die and suffering, shortening their life but giving them a better and more comfortable end.
    It's a society question these days, but often what I get is that families want the doctor to end the person life. One day, my wife told me " You know, even if families are in pain, they count on the doctor to do it, but for some doctors, it's again their ethics, and it's sometimes hard to hear for those families who get angry. If we had the possibility to prepare the syringe with the product inside and give the family the possibility to press the button, not many would do it ". I realized things were more complicated than what I used to think ... In fact, there were many things I didn't think about.
    Near the end for my grandfather, they gave him morphine and stuff way above the normal doze, simply because they knew he was gonna die.

But yes, nobody wants to be the one that pushes the button, so to speak.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You should watch Choosing To Die, with the now late sir Terry Pratchett. It's a documentary which he made whilst he himself was investigating assisted suicide, because he was considering it for himself.
    He passed away recently as a result of his Alzheimers, so he never needed to do end it himself.

But be warned, it's a very, very emotional documentary. I somewhat regret watching the last 10 minutes of it, when you get to see a man actually die.

- - - Updated - - -

Near the end for my grandfather, they gave him morphine and stuff way above the normal doze, simply because they knew he was gonna die.

But yes, nobody wants to be the one that pushes the button, so to speak.
    I watched it

Do we have to worry about the slippery slope? Are old people going to feel guilty about being a burden to their children so it's off to Switzerland?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Just legalize this already. We can have our own Dignitas clinic. British euthanasia carried out by British workers. Can be the next UKIP slogan.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Do we have to worry about the slippery slope? Are old people going to feel guilty about being a burden to their children so it's off to Switzerland?
    Slippery slope is a real concern yes. Especially since you sometimes hear stories about people dying under fishy circumstances in elderly homes. But with proper independent oversight and strict laws i think the benefits are worth the risks. The only real problem cases are people who are eligible for euthanasia but cannot make their own decisions due to their illness (ie alzheimers, coma, etc)