View Poll Results: Have you ever lied to get out of serious trouble?

Voters
74. This poll is closed
  • Yes

60 81.08%
  • No

14 18.92%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I was raised not to lie because the punishment would have been far worse growing up if you lied about it. Its would be like adding a hate crime charge to being disciplined.
    I was raised that way too...... All it accomplished was getting damn fucking good at lying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Oh hush now, it said serious. There ain't much a kid can lie about that's really serious
    yes there is..... Read Hooked's reason why he didn't lie.... When you're raised with the danger of getting physically punished, you might just lie out of fear to avoid the punishment.
    Do you have homework?
    Why are your pants dirty?
    Where have you been?
    Did you hang out with your friend, even though I told you not to?
    All kinds of things you can lie about as kid.. And they're pretty big to you while you're still a kid.
    When your choices are telling the truth and you get some form of punishment anyway, might as well just try to dodge it with a lie.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Yes, and yes I got away with it...and to the person who said lies will catch up to you eventually...it's been more than 10 years and still hasn't, so...I think I'm in the clear. And that's just for the biggest lie I've told.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    yes there is..... Read Hooked's reason why he didn't lie.... When you're raised with the danger of getting physically punished, you might just lie out of fear to avoid the punishment.
    Do you have homework?
    Why are your pants dirty?
    Where have you been?
    Did you hang out with your friend, even though I told you not to?
    All kinds of things you can lie about as kid.. And they're pretty big to you while you're still a kid.
    When your choices are telling the truth and you get some form of punishment anyway, might as well just try to dodge it with a lie.
    Unless it was to the point of abusive, I still don't think getting a discipline hit is "serious trouble", nor are you getting out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless it was to the point of abusive, I still don't think getting a discipline hit is "serious trouble", nor are you getting out of it.
    If you know you are grounded anyway, doesn't even need to be physical punishment. Can be as simple as not be allowed to watch tv, or today to not use your computer whatever.. Simply having to sit in your room. Or having to help with cleaning the house as punishment.
    Parents are inventive without use of force... If you wanna dodge it, you lie.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lied in my childhood about taking something from someone else, think there were suspicions but had the same thing happen back to me. Also tried to take some change from a Family Member to buy a toy, didn't work and I got in trouble.

Most serious thing was a fine from a Train due to no conductors on board and me rushing for the train. Got fined by an operator whose train I didn't even catch at all. Got home and was told by my Parents I should have lied about my details. Shocked at how stupid the cost ended up being.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    If you know you are grounded anyway, doesn't even need to be physical punishment. Can be as simple as not be allowed to watch tv, or today to not use your computer whatever.. Simply having to sit in your room. Or having to help with cleaning the house as punishment.
    Parents are inventive without use of force... If you wanna dodge it, you lie.
    But my point was still none of that is really serious.
    I mean, heck, just look at what OP put as a picture for related, isn't that show about lying about someone who died? I'm pretty sure it's safe to say he's not talking about having to do the dishes in terms of seriousness.

10+ Year Old Account
    But my point was still none of that is really serious.
    I mean, heck, just look at what OP put as a picture for related, isn't that show about lying about someone who died? I'm pretty sure it's safe to say he's not talking about having to do the dishes in terms of seriousness.
    I totally understand what you mean. And I don't think you're wrong.
    I just also think that what "serious" means varies greatly by a person and the situation they're in.

I wish I was able to lie, but I can't. I immediately begin to smile when lying. Even when telling the truth some times, I once had to pay adult ticket price at the movies, even thought I was still considered I child for another year. So I always tell the truth(unless on the phone), and try not to smile.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... I dont think I've ever lied about anything REALLY SERIOUS. I dont think I've ever gotten into really serious trouble where lying was actually an option.
    But I've lied plenty of times to get off the hook on minor things... or to just avoid making a scene. I'm quite good at it, even if I say so myself. Thank you, middle and high school drama-classes!

I think the most "serious" thing I ever lied about was making a dent on my bosses car while driving it (a small one). He came asking me if I knew where the dent had come from a day later and I just told him that I had no idea and that someone just probably bumped into him while parking their own car.
    Then a few years later his wife crashed the car (she didnt get hurt) and he got a new one so my conscience for denting the old car was finally cleared :P

So I guess everything went better than expected!

Voted no because I dont think I've ever been in actually SERIOUS trouble. Like really SERIOUS.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2015-05-28 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I've directly lied to get out of trouble, but I definitely left some essential things compromising myself out. Since the result is pretty much the same (people got the wrong impression and it saved me a lot of trouble), I voted "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and yes.

Maybe as a kid, to get out of trouble I'd consider "serious" as a kid...but no, not as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    "like a man" is usually a drab social phrase used to mask boring, uncreative and predictable courses of action, though.
    "Like a man" is usually a slur used by meat-heads who think morality is somehow inherently tied to their gender identity. They are the same people who base their lifestyle, hobbies, diet, dialect etc, on achieving a primary objective of trying to maximise 'masculinity'. They also tend to be hostile towards those who don't have such a shallow life goal.

They are like reverse transsexuals. At least transsexuals don't go around trying to get everyone else to be a transsexual.

Yeah, as a kid, and especially during teenagehood I lied all the time. And most of the time it worked, I got pretty good at it.
    Haven't had to for the past few years, though. Feel really good about that.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

As a kid, yeah. Mostly trivial stuff though, the kind of lie a kid would say when questioned if he broke his brother's game boy. Teenage years were no different, never got into trouble with the police or other matters. Think the worst case i had during those years was if i accidentally knocked over and broke my mother's china doll thing, of course you'd blame it on the dog to avoid mother's wrath. Nowadays, I'll throw the odd lie somewhere during work every couple of months, when asked "If i did this or That" but since i live in my own flat i mainly lie to myself now, mostly with the "I'll do it tomorrow" scenario.

I wouldn't be posting here if it didn't work.