How do you choose server?

New player here. I'm really confused how you pick a server. it seems the only choice is US, EU or JAP no time zones or anything so I had questions...

Are there any community consensus on which servers for east coast to adopt?

It sounds like it would make finding a raiding free company very hard, does it?

It seems like (from what I found online) that all servers are from montreal Canada (not bitching since I'd be getting optimal ms)

what I think I'll do to pick a server, is notice which servers get character creation locked around 7pm-11pm in my time zone and then join said server so most people are around the same timezone?!? makes sense?

If you want to see which have server locks in real time - http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...06d0909189e479

I heard that 9:30 AM (east coast time) was a good time to get on the servers that are locked. Just checked a few minutes ago, and they are all open (even Gilgamesh and Balmung).

As for Free Company, there are recruit forums on the official forum, but another way to approach it is to look at which FCs are active here (for your server). Then google them or find them in game and ask to join. You can also right click a player in game who is in the FC you want to join, and you will have an option to apply to their FC.
    Last edited by warlockiii; 2015-05-28 at 12:39 PM.

Deleted
    I thought Cerberus is a cool name, end of story

Just pick a server and roll with it. It doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Just because you are East Coast, why can't you raid with people West Coast? Maybe you like to raid at 6-8 but there are people west coast who raid 2-4, so it works out.

Slightly-related, are there any servers that are suffering in terms of population, or does Squ-Enix somehow have that pretty well managed? Is being on a full server helpful or harmful?

I'm resubbing on Sunday and I'm on the Excalibur server, which I know still locks out new characters. I have a friend who is playing on Faerie, and I'm not sure if I should transfer off to join him, or if he should transfer over to mine since I see it's open right now...?

I'm worried if I go off that the server will be empty, but at the same time someone on the megathread mentioned there's a cap on the housing available per server that I didn't realize, so maybe being on a full one is bad...?
    Last edited by Forumchibi; 2015-05-28 at 05:14 PM.

I think I'll just go with option Nemro82 pick the name I prefer LOL