Poll: If more mobs were neutral in Draenor, would you explore more?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is Draenor exploration limited by the total map coverage of aggressive MOBs?

I often find myself wanting to explore Draenor's map, but avoid doing it because I know that if I'm in a higher level zone, I probably won't be able to go anywhere without being attacked by swarms of mobs. If I'm on a mount, I can often outrun them, but a lot of the time they dismount me and overwhelm me. If I'm not on a mount, I'm pretty screwed. Because of the fact that Draenor's entire map is packed with really aggressive mobs, I almost never explore the safe areas, because it's just not worth the hassle. In zones like Talador and Shadowmoon, where the paths are clearly defined and usually safe, I'm more likely to explore the zone, but in areas like Gorgrond, there are no safe routes through the zone that don't involve trying to outrun tens of mobs. For this reason, I either never leave my Garrison, and when I do, I always take a flight path. At least if I could fly in Draenor, I would try to explore, even if the exploration isn't as fulfilling as on the ground.

So my question is: does anyone else feel this way? Would you be more likely to explore if more MOBs were neutral, or is the feeling of risk more important to you?

15+ Year Old Account
    Other than the thick elite packs in the level 100, 1k apexis crystal daily quests areas, what mobs are you talking about?

Deleted
    ...The ones that are all over the entire continent, packed in so tightly that you can barely go anywhere without being attacked.

Kill them?

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Roads are generally safe, always have been. Exploring off them brings you into contact with mobs (as you know). It is supposed to as the 'off the road' journey is supposed to be... idk, hazardous. Or at least stuff you bump into (at level).

Early RIFT had mobs with wide aggro circles. You didn't watch yourself, you'd have 2-3 jump you. And then the fight was on. That was actually quite good, then. And then came Storm Legion (or shortly before) and the world got hum-drum.

So exploring in an MMO is supposed to be fraught with danger for the most part. Roll a rogue if you want to stealth. That is what I use when I don't want to deal with stuff. I have no problem with there being mobs. I just wish they were dangerous instead of tedious. But I do prefer to have to watch my step and not wander around like some fool in the street. It makes the environment more real, in some way.

So I'd be ok with mobs that weren't all packed together but had greater pat ranges, and hit similar to us. They are creampuffs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Speech500 View Post
    ...The ones that are all over the entire continent, packed in so tightly that you can barely go anywhere without being attacked.
    Are you trying to navigate Nagrand at level 90? Because otherwise, i have no clue what you're talking about.

I will say it does become tiresome when the subpar mobs dismount my ilvl690 toon or when I cant ride over the hill that has a 1 degree incline.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thebelltolleth View Post
    So exploring in an MMO is supposed to be fraught with danger for the most part.
    Like what MMO exactly? No I'm curious which one you're refering to and what the rewards for exploring are in them. Usually if something is dangerous, tedious and unfun there'll be some carrot on the stick.

@huth, the Hydras on several shores spring to mind. They're mostly elite 100, with some rare elite 100 mixed in for good measures. They drop nothing, they do nothing, they're just there to annoy people.

I often find myself wanting to explore Draenor's map, but avoid doing it because I know that if I'm in a higher level zone, I probably won't be able to go anywhere without being attacked by swarms of mobs. If I'm on a mount, I can often outrun them, but a lot of the time they dismount me and overwhelm me. If I'm not on a mount, I'm pretty screwed. Because of the fact that Draenor's entire map is packed with really aggressive mobs, I almost never explore the safe areas, because it's just not worth the hassle. In zones like Talador and Shadowmoon, where the paths are clearly defined and usually safe, I'm more likely to explore the zone, but in areas like Gorgrond, there are no safe routes through the zone that don't involve trying to outrun tens of mobs. For this reason, I either never leave my Garrison, and when I do, I always take a flight path. At least if I could fly in Draenor, I would try to explore, even if the exploration isn't as fulfilling as on the ground.

So my question is: does anyone else feel this way? Would you be more likely to explore if more MOBs were neutral, or is the feeling of risk more important to you?
    Yeah exploring sucks ass with out flying, it's soo annoying and unrewarded to get jumped by a dog pile of mobs and dismounted then trapped at a graveyard.

if you are not 100 then dont bother

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    @huth, the Hydras on several shores spring to mind. They're mostly elite 100, with some rare elite 100 mixed in for good measures. They drop nothing, they do nothing, they're just there to annoy people.
    Those don't exactly strike me as being everywhere over everything or particularly hard to avoid. If you run into them, you deserve the beating you get. They aren't packed particularly tightly, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    if you are not 100 then dont bother
    A thousand times this... Get back to leveling or take a break by exploring a same or lower level zone.

The zones should be far more dangerous than they are, for the most part. Probably the best fun I had while leveling was swimming over to the Darktide Roost islands as a level 90 or 91, and trying to check out the whole thing.

Maybe level up? There really aren't any mobs you can't solo on draenor. Outside of the obvious raid boss. Retype your op again with less fiction if you are 100.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2015-05-28 at 02:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently leveling my mage by exploring.

It is actually fun and while I do fight a good bunch of monsters its not tedious. take a long time though.

My mage is done with treasures in shadowmoon, talador and almost done with spires. and she is lvl 96
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I'm a roleplay guild leader. As such, I have to create adventures for my players to engage in that take place in the world, but not always in places swarmed infested with mobs or players.

As such, exploration is my greatest tool. Finding all the great areas I can make roleplay happen.

And yes, WoD is terrible for that. The content is engaging, and we're having tons of fun. But every cave, every hole, every secret place, every area of interest, is stuffed full or dangerous things. Makes it hard to navigate.

It's a double-edged sword. Explorable content without dangerous mobs, or suited for roleplayers, can be hard to find, especially Horde-side. But rares and treasures, and a full outside world aren't inherently bad things at all either.

Unfortunately we can't pick and choose. Unless Blizz puts in a "RP mode" for groups, that removes or neutralizes hostile mobs in a zone, but doesn't allow quest completion, to balance it, I don't see this changing.

It's basically a choice between two good things.

I don't think they're such an annoyance that someone wanting to explore might not.
    Of course, they do hinder if you only want to take a stroll while waiting for the start of the raid.

Otherwise, NE druids are beasts at exploring.
    Miss Hibernate though....

Nowhere in WoD is half as bad as those Mantid islands off the coast of Townlong... *SHUDDER*

Also, the coast north of the Horde base in Twilight Highlands back in Cata. With the never-ending Naga invasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You want a real challenge. Try running from the Valkurm Dunes to Selbina in FFXI, talk about a Goblin train...

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    See it's people like you that make me hope flying is gone forever.

Because the mobs are half the fun of exploring. Otherwise you can just write a bot to do it for you.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)