Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What class does great damage in a raid, but manages fewer mechanics than others?

Title.

It's easy to imagine a class with tons of abilities, procs, and CDs, complete with obscure caveats that dictate how to best leverage all of these features together, getting the highest numbers in a raid, if you're a world-class kind of player.

What class can still get huge numbers, but DOESN'T rely on heavy management of many mechanics to get them? I realize that even the simplest DPS class in WoW will have a certain depth to them that might make this question difficult to answer. All that said, what is the closest class to the hypothetical of being able to press one or two buttons and just destroying the DPS meter?

Please note that I'm aware that meters aren't "everything," that different fights cater to different roles, that some classes on some fights are relegated to utility instead of max DPS (think rogues on H Garrosh phase 1). I understand all of that. For the purposes of discussion in this thread, I'm focused on damage.

What do you guys think?

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Shamans fill everything you're looking for except great damage, our only useful utility is hero/lust, and 80% of our totems remove debuffs that aren't in current raid content (raid-wide fears & slows), and our water totems only do like 20k healing in their entire durations, we have utility, but it's useless.
    Last edited by Putin-Chan; 2015-05-28 at 02:25 AM.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Omitting "great damage" automatically makes them precisely not what I'm looking for. The balance between great damage and few mechanics is the target. It doesn't look like shaman possesses either.

Markmanship hunters seems to be just that.
    Unless things changed, when I last played it was mostly a 2 buttons rotation with high ranged damage.
    No idea how mobile they are though.

Pretty sure it's Enhance Shaman or Windwalker Monk.. that's also the first one you bench because they don't bring anything except damage.

Hunters are the one always getting every jobs in a raid.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2015-05-28 at 05:31 AM.

Well currently demo locks are quite strong but seeing as we're about to get a giant demon sized sphincter destroying dildo I don't know if I can honestly recommend it. They do require paying attention...but as with all classes, knowing the ins and outs = more satisfaction and dps. Honestly BM hunter is very easy to play atm, as well GREAT ST and AoE dps with the raid utility via variable buffs, fox, silences, dispels, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have to ask what is the point of your question? I find that the more demanding/rewarding classes are infinitely more fun to play than the 1-2, or 3 button smash fests regardless of mechanics type of classes. Are you just looking to be as "pretty" as possible on the meters while avoiding ..ya know...actually playing the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Also arcane mages atm are ridiculously strong when you're talking 690+ 4set etc.., very easy to manage rotation with high DPS, good buffs, lust and excellent survivability.

Combat Rogue. Arcane Mage. Fire Mage. Especially Fire Mage.

Pretty sure his question is how to be a good dps and not have to deal with any raid mechanic, so which class you never ask to do a job.

Rogues and Mages always have tons of jobs to do.

So in short "how can I rape meters while having no personal responsibilities" lol

There is no spec that "destroys meters". Specs are closer than ever in terms of damage, it really is up to the player how well you perform. Simplicity is what should concern you.

My vote goes to spriest. I've raided on pretty much all specs in the game, and spriests have always been the simplest for me personally. Very smooth and straightforward, with just 1 rotational cd, 2 decent duration dots and a filler. Orbs are barely a resource, you just push a button when you see 3. I'm very at ease with dots though, so maybe the spec wouldn't be as simple for everyone. I just have so much more time and mind space to pay attention to my raid and everything else going on while playing my spriest compared to other specs.

For melee I'd vote for assassination. Zero rotational cooldowns to keep track of. Just spend your energy when you have it (you still want to pool energy a bit to be optimal) and keep up 1 dot. That's it really. Imo once you get used to assassination it really is the most effortless spec in the game. It is melee though, and melee can be a bit more hectic than ranged and gives you lower awareness. If simplicity is your top priority I wouldn't go with melee.

Of course for complete min/max all specs in the game can start micromanaging things to great detail, and if big bleeding edge damage is what you are after there is no perfect spec for it. I'd say pick the simplest one or the one you like most, and start mastering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slootd View Post

I do have to ask what is the point of your question?
    I've been a competitive raider since 2006. I've always parsed pretty well and even attained a couple of rank 1 world parses, among other raiding achievements. When WoD launched, it only took a couple of months for me to realize that I just don't have the kind of passion required to be ultra-competitive in WoW anymore. So I took ~4 months off. I'm looking to come back for 6.2, possibly to raid, and I still want to do a very good job at it. However, I'm done with managing 50 things at once. I've done OK with those specs in the past, but for once, I'm totally cool with playing the cheesiest fucking class in the game and doing well with it.

I haven't paid attention to patch notes, etc, in several months so I didn't know what the status of each class was.

I have a 90 rogue and 90 hunter I could level. Rogue is probably more fun for me, but rogue damage seems very low right now. Alsom hunter is ranged so that automatically makes the game easier in some intrinsicly inescapable ways. Kind of torn between those two at the moment. Mage is a possibility but I'd have to level a mage from scratch or pay 60 dollars and I'm not sold on the class enough (yet) to do either.

The ongoing discussion is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I've been a competitive raider since 2006. I've always parsed pretty well and even attained a couple of rank 1 world parses, among other raiding achievements. When WoD launched, it only took a couple of months for me to realize that I just don't have the kind of passion required to be ultra-competitive in WoW anymore. So I took ~4 months off. I'm looking to come back for 6.2, possibly to raid, and I still want to do a very good job at it. However, I'm done with managing 50 things at once. I've done OK with those specs in the past, but for once, I'm totally cool with playing the cheesiest fucking class in the game and doing well with it.

I haven't paid attention to patch notes, etc, in several months so I didn't know what the status of each class was.

I have a 90 rogue and 90 hunter I could level. Rogue is probably more fun for me, but rogue damage seems very low right now. Alsom hunter is ranged so that automatically makes the game easier in some intrinsicly inescapable ways. Kind of torn between those two at the moment. Mage is a possibility but I'd have to level a mage from scratch or pay 60 dollars and I'm not sold on the class enough (yet) to do either.

The ongoing discussion is appreciated.
    You will get a ton of the "shitty" jobs if you're a hunter. You will get ALL of the shitty melee jobs if you're a rogue. If you're looking for no responsibility, I'd stay away from those two.

If our ranged (casters and healers) are to be believed, melee is all about face-rolling across your keyboard and having no mechanics to avoid.

As a melee I think any mobile ranged (Fire Mage / Hunter) that is parsing high on warcraftlogs (Fire Mage / Hunter) would be a good choice, less affected by boss positioning and able to avoid standing in things while keeping up DPS instead of just being locked out of range like a melee can be.

Assassination as a Rogue is certainly easy to manage, but you're not going to be parsing top DPS on much of anything (unless they allow the current broken trinket + 2pc T17 / T18 interactions to go live), and you'll still be subject to the whims of where the tank feels like moving things and random horrible encounters that are aids for melee that the designers seem to enjoy including.

Combat rogue for melee ( my main ) since you can scumbag some fights, a whole host of defensive's for when you are being stupid and assassination for ok single target for being extremely lazy xD

Your title and your post are confusing people is how different they're automatically perceived.

For anyone responding after this, the OP isn't asking "Which class doesn't have to deal with raid mechanics."

With the right talent set-up, Elemental Shaman, Combat/Assassination Rogue, Marksmanship Hunter and Destruction Warlock are as close as you're likely to get to "doing well while not having tons of buttons."

Thing is, with a few talent swaps they all can become rather hectic and confusing.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by maddnesskhaz View Post
    (unless they allow the current broken trinket + 2pc T17 / T18 interactions to go live)
    This is interesting. What are you referring to?

Melee generally has fewer mechanics to worry about than ranged do.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hunter/Mage both is probably what you are looking for. Very good damage, very few mechanics to do said damage. Keep in mind that you are expected to be one of the top dps'ers while playing Mage/Hunter, and there are still a LOT of bad Hunters/Mages who ends up in the middle somewhere.

Hunters also get all the "shit" jobs, like Boat on Maidens, Marks on Imperator etc. So if you don't want responsibility, don't play Hunter.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Your title and your post are confusing people is how different they're automatically perceived.

For anyone responding after this, the OP isn't asking "Which class doesn't have to deal with raid mechanics."

With the right talent set-up, Elemental Shaman, Combat/Assassination Rogue, Marksmanship Hunter and Destruction Warlock are as close as you're likely to get to "doing well while not having tons of buttons."

Thing is, with a few talent swaps they all can become rather hectic and confusing.
    Ah. In this case I'd say Combat Rogue is simplest, followed by Destro Lock, MM Hunter, and Frost DK. They're pretty much all specs where boredom kills brain cells. For Destro Lock one can manage the entire rotation with a 10 button Nostromo gamepad and some intelligent macros.

BM Hunter isn't much more complex than MM, really, so that's another good option.

I disagree about Ele Shaman and I raided seriously with one for many years. They take 6-8 buttons to play decently, but you need at least twice that to play one well.

I think I can say objectively that you're wrong about Assassination Rogue. Assassination takes work to maintain uptime on bleeds. If you want to play a simplistic spec, that isn't it.

Edit and important note: I don't know Mages at all.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Deleted
    I agree on Destro Lock (and I'm playing one). You don't really have to do a lot but you simply won't be rocking the meters with it. It's possible to be decent, even good, but that comes with effort and utilizing boss mechanics. If you want to do decent DPS with a simple play style and rarely any raid jobs to do, this one is for you!
    I heard destro gets buffed with 6.2, too.

Arcane mage doesn't have a lot of buttons, but you will have to pay close attention to mana, more so than other classes. It's not hard, but annoying.