Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arberian View Post
    This is a small study to confirm some of my theories about atheism. The results will show themselves.
    Is atheism anti religious now instead of non religious? I cannot keep up

Also a lot of religion that people follow is probably not so obvious, when people people "religiously" believe in ufo's i bet thinking about ufo's it will activate the same parts of the brain. Which is not to say either is right or wrong obviously

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Everyone dreams. Just because you can't remember a dream doesn't mean that you didn't dream, it just means that you didn't wake up during or right after the dream. Humans dream during REM sleep which occurs every 90 - 100 minutes, 3 to 4 times a night, and lasts longer as the night progresses.
    Yeah, well " If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?"

Seriously, I guess, I am not saying people can't dream remember it, but if you can't remember it, then most likely it's just as good as if it didn't happen.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Agnostic/don't generally care if God exists

I dream vividly on a daily basis and can recall one or two dreams from a given week.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah, well " If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?"

Seriously, I guess, I am not saying people can't dream remember it, but if you can't remember it, then most likely it's just as good as if it didn't happen.
    Yes it makes a sound. Just because I shout something to nobody doesn't mean I didn't shout. Everybody dreams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

10+ Year Old Account
    Christian

Properly have around 1-2 dreams that I can vaguely remember a week and they don't usually involve god or anything of a religious nature so not really sure how theirs supposed to be a correlation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

Except that it did happen, it doesn't matter if you remember it or not. People have been studying sleep and dreams for decades. We know that everyone dreams.
    Last edited by zephid; 2015-05-28 at 05:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Athiest. My dreams are often so intense that they wake me up.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Is it even possible to have REM without dreaming? Remembering it is anither story
    I'd reverse the question. Is it possible to have dreams without REM sleep? Most of mine come right before I wake up, and that's consistent with REM sleep. Sometimes I have drift offs if I stay laying down after waking up, and that's consistent with stage 1 sleep (basically, I'd claim I wasn't sleeping if someone poked me or said my name.)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Athiest. My dreams are often so intense that they wake me up.
    That's also why you remember the dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    That's also why you remember the dream.
    Pretty much, I remember a dream I had when I was 1 year old, because of how vivid/intense it was.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its always hard to forget my dreams when I eat babies, such a delight for me.

But yeah, I dream a hell of a lot, nearly always remember one facet of my dreams a night.

Quote Originally Posted by Meldetia View Post
    Your dream super powers are more interesting them mine - I just fly. And sometimes seems like there is an absurd number of power lines that I have to dodge or sometimes am worried that I will suddenly fall. Not nightmares, just anxious. I also have not had a nightmare in years.

More on topic - I dream at least 3-4 times a week (probably every night but only remember about half). But there will also be stretches lasting up to a few weeks were I can remember dreams vividly for at least a bit after waking.

Also I really doubt that a correlation can be found here. I grew up religious but from about 16 onwards became agnostic/atheist.
    The only time I dream about having a super power is when I have to pee. I fly around a bit then suddenly fall and feel pain in my stomach, and at this point I wake myself up because I realize I need to take a piss.

OT: I dream everyday(agnostic atheist). I also have lucid dreams all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my dreams. I'm always a super hero who flies and saves people and my dreams are super colorful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    What do you even mean by "strong"?

And what about people losing/gaining faith?

- - - Updated - - -

I think a more interesting and probably distressing conclusion for OP would be that there are so damn many of us just in this thread.
    There is a "that" part of the brain which is stronger when religious people talk about religion. This is simply because the "other" part of the brain becomes weaker as it is responsible for challenging your own beliefs. This serves to protect the individual from harm because if you challenged something you've believed for so long you will become sad.

On the other hand if you are constantly changing opinion it could be said you have the reversed effect

I wonder if that is what the OP is talking about.

Atheist, and I dream every night and most days I can usually recall them pretty clearly. Only once or twice a week are the dreams fuzzy/unclear when I wake, or forgotten entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    There is a "that" part of the brain which is stronger when religious people talk about religion. This is simply because the "other" part of the brain becomes weaker as it is responsible for challenging your own beliefs. This serves to protect the individual from harm because if you challenged something you've believed for so long you will become sad.

On the other hand if you are constantly changing opinion it could be said you have the reversed effect

The fact that we, the posters, have to figure out what his hypothesis is, speaks volume about the OP.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    This whole thing is kinda moot since most people forget 90% of the dreams they have anyway.

That said: Atheist here, and I have at least one major dream I can remember each month (Sometimes two)

Quote Originally Posted by Arberian View Post
    No it has to do with a part of the brain and if I am right atheists do not have "that part of the brain" as strong as theists
    The problem here is that you are looking for agnostics. Atheists "believe" in nothing, that there is no god. Just like theists they "believe" in something (nothing) without proof, which is what makes it a belief. They can't prove god doesn't exist and theists can't prove that god does exist, but they both hold beliefs on the subject. Agnostics are the ones that don't know, which is what everyone is really, but agnostics choose to believe nothing and accept they don't know.

This is a very simplified version of this debate.

Hypothesis more than a theory.

Atheist here, or maybe more of an agnostic, I dream every night and extremely vividly. I am often aware that I am dreaming and can control he directions of many of my dreams. I also have a range of them that follow a tight script, some scary, but I am so aware that I am asleep that I will allow those dreams to go on out of fascination. For dreams where I lack control I often have a spirit animal so to speak that will be my protector. For about three years now, that animal has had the shape of Max, my beloved dog that passed away. For about 1 year after his passing, almost every dream I had was about him still being alive yet still sick which made me wake in tears almost every night.

I often fly in my dreams as well, and choose to shape shift which my dream self confirms worked by looking into a mirror.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    OP has no idea what he is talking about. Everyone dreams. It has nothing to do with being religious or not. Dreams are a part of human nature, and several studies suggests that all mammals dream.
    Last edited by zephid; 2015-05-28 at 05:59 AM.