Help me get better?

I'm a bit desperate right now, as I've raided endgame on four different classes in the past but always feel like I'm doing less damage than I should be. I don't have a lot of experience with logs, and have no idea how to read them really, but I've heard that they're the best way to tell what a person is doing wrong.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...9474901/latest

I really want to get good at playing a combat rogue (none of the other two specs really appeal to me), but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong there. I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Edit: Armory link to the character.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Enzek/advanced
    Last edited by Tadkins; 2015-05-29 at 08:11 AM.

Hello,

don't get me wrong, but are you serious? Not everyone with such logs can show brf 10/10 heroic.
    If you are, then you might start by looking at the advised talents by various sites. as you seem to be using shadow reflection. Don't do this as combat rogue.

Another easy thing: switch your main hand and off hand. Especially while cleaving but even on ST the 691 dagger might be better than your 675 mace.

Once this is done your (new) logs can be looked at. Probably not by me as I'm terribly bad as combat rogue, but until then you should start with this basics.

Yeah, you can probably optimize your gear a bit. Load your character into shadowcraft or simcraft to play with your weapons.

I only looked at Gruul in any depth, but your Slice and Dice uptime is a little low at ~80% so try to optimize that. Revealing strike at ~70% is pretty bad as well. I didn't look, but I'm sure you casted several Eviscerates without the buff up.

You appear to not be casting Killing Spree/Adrenaline rush enough, either. And as the previous poster said drop Shadow Reflection. It's never the choice as combat.

So in short, keep your buffs up better and use your cooldowns more. Your dps will improve a lot if/when you can get a hold of your tier, but you can always improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvid View Post
    Hello,

don't get me wrong, but are you serious? Not everyone with such logs can show brf 10/10 heroic.
    I bought a BRF heroic run shortly after I hit 100, knowing I wanted to main a rogue and get a quick boost in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendalaus View Post
    Yeah, you can probably optimize your gear a bit. Load your character into shadowcraft or simcraft to play with your weapons.

I only looked at Gruul in any depth, but your Slice and Dice uptime is a little low at ~80% so try to optimize that. Revealing strike at ~70% is pretty bad as well. I didn't look, but I'm sure you casted several Eviscerates without the buff up.

You appear to not be casting Killing Spree/Adrenaline rush enough, either. And as the previous poster said drop Shadow Reflection. It's never the choice as combat.

So in short, keep your buffs up better and use your cooldowns more. Your dps will improve a lot if/when you can get a hold of your tier, but you can always improve.
    Yep, just need to get the good haste pieces to drop. xD

I'll keep a better eye on those buffs/debuffs, though. Thank you folks for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/y2PJz7K8fv6TmXwH

Took the advice here as well as a thread I made on the official forums. Then I learned about how to log and gave it a shot. Yep this is LFR, but I just wanted to get into a raid quick to test it out.

I think I did a little better, but would love some second opinions.

Main thing is to try and get better MH and OH weapons your best in slot weapons are off of Han n Franz, daggers are Ok for cleave situations but the higher end damage that slower weapons have will net you more dps on SS and Evis. Uptime on your buffs look pretty good, and you want to drop the On use trinket asap. they are horrible for combat because of the way CDs line up. Shoot for Gruul's trinket and Blackhand's Trinket, if not those the trinket off of Imperator is a good alternative to Blackhand's trinket. Once you get your 2pc and 4pc you will be in alot better shape aswell.

I'd also look at your glyphs. Glyph of Disappearance means a lot higher use of Vanish and a lot more Ambushes.

Deleted
    100% uptime on snd, use the right talents, using consumables is big too. Actively read guides and use the information. Makes me sad seeing that dagger in your oh and will never get used for what it should be.

Ok so... change nightstalker to shadow focus, change shadow reflection to venom rush, get either 2 slow weapons or put the dagger in main hand, fast mh slow oh is good for aoe, for single target combat you want two slows. As someone said before get glyph of disappearance, more vanishes = more ambush = more damage. You also want slice and dice up 100% of the time and revealing strike up 100% on your target... getting an addon to track them and your insights will help. use kspree and adrenaline rush whenever you can as soon as you can. hopefully that may help a little.

eh just saw you fixed most of that stuff :P
    if you can try get 4 set... is awesome for combat
    Last edited by Vxi; 2015-05-30 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffar View Post
    Main thing is to try and get better MH and OH weapons your best in slot weapons are off of Han n Franz, daggers are Ok for cleave situations but the higher end damage that slower weapons have will net you more dps on SS and Evis. Uptime on your buffs look pretty good, and you want to drop the On use trinket asap. they are horrible for combat because of the way CDs line up. Shoot for Gruul's trinket and Blackhand's Trinket, if not those the trinket off of Imperator is a good alternative to Blackhand's trinket. Once you get your 2pc and 4pc you will be in alot better shape aswell.
    Yep, now it's just a matter of gear it looks like? Got it, thanks. Kind of fortunate that the best Combat weapons are on somewhat easier bosses. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucistius View Post
    I'd also look at your glyphs. Glyph of Disappearance means a lot higher use of Vanish and a lot more Ambushes.
    For sure! Not sure why I didn't notice that glyph before, but it's definitely proven useful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewlol View Post
    100% uptime on snd, use the right talents, using consumables is big too. Actively read guides and use the information. Makes me sad seeing that dagger in your oh and will never get used for what it should be.
    It is a real shame, but I didn't ask for that dagger to drop, haha. If only it was the H&F hammer instead. I'm only really using it now because it replaced a 630 heroic blue sword. I even tried Sub for a little while as a result, spent loads of money remaking my gear and enchants for it, but I just really couldn't get into the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomarat View Post
    Ok so... change nightstalker to shadow focus, change shadow reflection to venom rush, get either 2 slow weapons or put the dagger in main hand, fast mh slow oh is good for aoe, for single target combat you want two slows. As someone said before get glyph of disappearance, more vanishes = more ambush = more damage. You also want slice and dice up 100% of the time and revealing strike up 100% on your target... getting an addon to track them and your insights will help. use kspree and adrenaline rush whenever you can as soon as you can. hopefully that may help a little.

eh just saw you fixed most of that stuff :P
    if you can try get 4 set... is awesome for combat
    Yep, I took the advice of this thread and the other one, switched my talents up and gave them a try. The log I posted was the result, which I think was an improvement. Also started using SliceAdmiral for the timers.
    Last edited by Tadkins; 2015-05-30 at 09:57 PM.