Black log-in screen on free trial

so i downloaded the trial and installed it
    then i made my account and followed the email link and all that jazz
    when i try to open the game all i get is a black screen with the FF logo and words at the top and only the option to close or min the window
    so, i know these things probably only happen to me lol
    but seriously, what did i do wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    You got a screenshot? I think you mean the launcher window but I am not sure.

yes the launcher window... ugh
    sorry about that

- - - Updated - - -

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/the...4lutw.png.html

it just looks like this on my desktop

10+ Year Old Account
    The launcher is really screwy, if you're still having no luck I'd advise just reinstalling.

did that and still no go
    guess this game is just not playable for me
    sure as hell not going to spend money on a game that won't launch in trial for me
    really sad about it
    i love FF games

Make sure you have DirectX9.0 installed on your desktop (don't think the game asks for it or installs it but it needs it)

probably giving more details would help to resolve this like computer specs and hardware, windows versions etc...

Try the following (basically reset IE to default):

Close all Internet Explorer windows that are currently open.

Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer for the desktop.
    Tap or click the Tools button Tools, and then tap or click Internet options.

Tap or Click the Advanced tab, and then tap or click Reset.

In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.

When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK. You'll need to restart your PC for these changes to take effect.

Are you running W8?

if so and even if not, do this
    Quote Originally Posted by stormgust View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stormgust View Post
    Is the launcher IE based? Why would adjusting IE help the launcher?

O.O
    OMG boys
    i'm just a girl and am so not sure of what u guys are talking about lol
    don't know what DirectX9.0 is... assuming i can Google it?
    computer specs? uh... i kinda know what ur asking for... just don't know how to figure that out
    okay... so reset IE... those instructions were pretty good so now i just have to find IE on my computer cuz i took that link off my desktop completely
    i didn't know anything still used IE lol
    since i have my default set to Chrome do i still need to set IE to default or do i do that with Chrome instead?
    and W8? is that Windows 8 that ur talking about?
    if so then the answer would be a huge, resounding no... my only male friend told me that it sucks butt and i'm not allowed to use it tee hee
    i think i have Windows 7... i know w/e it is that it is the Professional version
    can't seem to get an answer from FF's customer support yet or i wouldn't be posting here lol
    and that techie guy friend of mine? he's in Texas for work right now and is ignoring his Skype, so hopefully i can get something figured out or i will have to wait two weeks and i assume that by then my trial will have run out w/o me ever using it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Is the launcher IE based? Why would adjusting IE help the launcher?
    It might be actually, I sometimes get script and HTML errors like I would on a webpage.

Something else you can try:
    Open the config file found under documents/my games/FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn (It's labeled FFXIV.cfg.) Open up in notepad and change the value of CutsceneMovieOpening to 1, rather than 0. Save, restart the game and you should be good.

okay finally got a hold of my techie friend
    i have DX11 so that's not it
    but resetting IE worked like a charm so far
    thank u everyone!!
    meow meow

7+ Year Old Account
    The current version of the game needs DX9. DX11 wont be supported until the expansion next month.

EDIT: They took down the old benchmark but try the new one. na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/index.html *Sorry, too new to post links ><;;

EDIT #2: You aren't "just a girl" you just don't know much about this stuff yet! I'm female and just built a new PC from scratch 2 weeks ago. I troubleshoot problems for friends and family all the time.
    Last edited by Yelta; 2015-05-29 at 10:27 PM.

lol, well, what they were saying was all like scary techie sounding at first
    if my friend hadn't told me where to find my DX version i still wouldn't know
    i'm a hair, makeup, and nails kinda girl that just happens to play games all the time
    this was an opportunity to learn something new tho
    "just a girl" wasn't meant to insult myself lol it was just meant to compare my tech knowledge
    it's not quite akin to a bunny's but pretty close when it comes to the actual OS and stuff like that
    i'm a wiz with addons for WoW tho and when i first started that i really thot i was in over my head

okay so let me get this straight tho: i can't run the game after download because it doesn't support DX11?
    how do i make it DX9 then? or can i even do that?

If you have dx11 your fine its a later version then dx9
    Its just the minimum requirement

okay... phew

I also had a similar problem (but with has stopped working message) I reseted my IE, now it doesnt show that, but it just exits after 2 seconds (black screen only).

Have you got it to work? If so how are you enjoying the game?