Deleted

Need advice or tips with tanking.

Hello everyone.

I need some advice with tanking or tips for wich addons to use or UI to tank in, Or just some overall tips and advice because i feel like i am lacking in some fights while our deathknight tank exceeds in in every fight.

Because of the lack of posts on this forum i can't post a link to my character.

EU
    Server: Magtheridon
    Name: Roderc

Any Tips or Advice Would be very helpful and thank you in advance for giving me the tips and advice.

In what way do you feel you're lacking? Do you take a lot of damage, have problems with ability usage, movement/tacts issues, etc? In what way does the DK exceed compared to you? In my opinion the best UI is the one you fully customize yourself. Fx Bartender and TellMeWhen provide great freedom.

Deleted
    Well i probably have the most problems with the damage i take sometimes, so its a mixture of problems with my ability usage and just the overall damage i take.

I don't have any problems with the Tacts/Movements.

The Dk exceeds in not getting any damage in every fight.

Spam Sheild Barrier when you have Rage... And use Shield Block when you are expecting a big physical hit like gruuls inferno slice or Blackhands smash.

Warriors just seem to take more damage then other tanks because they are mainly physical based and don't generate much self healing. Even I sometimes feel squishy compared to our bear tank and have contemplated swapping to my Dk

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Warriors just seem to take more damage then other tanks because they are mainly physical based and don't generate much self healing. Even I sometimes feel squishy compared to our bear tank and have contemplated swapping to my Dk
    Let's try not to make every single thread about how bad warrior tanks are. He asked for tips and/or advice on how to play a warrior. Not your thoughts on why other classes are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddwow View Post
    Server: Magtheridon
    Name: Roderc
    Armory Link

Problems:

No ring enchant
    Critical Strike Enchants (2 of which are breath instead of gift)
    Stamina Gems

Fixes:

Gem/Enchant Mastery (Buy the good enchants if you're serious about progression into Mythic)

Warcraft Logs Link

Problems:

Shield Block uptime is horrible (sub 25% on almost every boss)
    Shield Barrier Usage is low (Usually only cast 10ish times per boss)
    Shield Slam Usage is low (20-30 fewer Shield Slams than you should get per boss)
    Revenge Usage is low (see above)
    Cooldown Usage is low/non-existent (75% of bosses you never use Shield Wall, don't think you ever used Last Stand)

There's just too many issues to realistically analyze your play. My suggestion would be to read some basic guides on how to play a protection warrior and then come back asking something more specific.

Emancptr has given you a lot to work on. In addition, as a tank, don't be afraid to give the healers commands. It's their job to keep you alive, and what better way to do that than give you big cooldowns when you know you will be taking a lot of damage.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go for either crit or mastery. Stick with that stat thereafter, do not mix. Always be 100% enchanted and gemmed. Don´t miss out on gems/enchants "because it is only 50 crit more".
    get some muscle memory when it comes to your core abilities. Read through the stickies what mitigation means and when to use either Shieldblock or Shieldbarrier. Do never waste rage and as long as you feel squishy, care more about your survivability then your damage.
    Communicate frequently with your co tank and your healers. Announce taunts until you feel sure, that the other tank does it on his own behalf. Announce if you think, that the other tank has missed out on a taunt. Better you annoy your co-tank with an unnecessairy announcement then to annoy the raid with an unnecessairy wipe because you got a third stack of ability x. Be very vocal about external cooldowns, Warriors currently are somewhat dependant on them. See recommended addons below for further advice regarding this.
    learn the fight by heart. Have at least a basic idea of other player´s jobs, since they might interfere with your duties. Example: Imperator Margok. You will have to carry the tank debuff outside the melee range, but ranges have to carry out their debuff as well. Don´t interfere with each other, cause it may kill the ones bringing out their debuff.
    Use your cooldowns proactively. A 40% damage reduction does not help you if your health already dipped below 10%. Intertwines with the point above: Knowing when shit hits the fan is your bread and butter.

Addons:
    Weak Auras: Highly costumable. Can show you everything, from debuffs applied on you to proccs.
    Any Boss mod: Mandatory
    Skada: I prefer it over recount, because I believe it offers more insight
    Blood Legion Cooldowns: An easy to handle addon, that displays other classes cooldowns. I personally only display single target cooldowns like Pain surpression. If you know that you´ll need a cooldown, announce your name, announce the name of the cooldown, and announce the player you want it from. ("XxubertankxX needs Painsup from XxUberhealerxX")

Shieldmaiden or similar: If you are not satisfied with weakauras or need something especially tailored for warrior tanks
    Comergy or similar: Costumizeable ressource bar. Offers colorization of your ressource to give an visual indication of how much you have. Easier then reading the actual number.
    Some Ui mods: I just use bartender and costumize my interface myself.

Talents:
    -Double time is mandatory.
    -Enraged regeneration is mandatory. You might be able to argue for Impedning Victory. Second wind is shit.
    -Heavy Repurcussion yields the highest survivability cause it neither wastes rage nor uses up a gcd. Sudden death yields slightly more damage, takes up a gcd and yields better results when not actively tanking (since heavy repurcussion needs shieldblock, which you mostly wont use while not actively tanking). unyielding strikes theoretically deals the most damage but uses up quite some rage and requires good micro management.
    -Shockwave if you need to cc adds. Dragon´s Roar for everything else.
    -Vigilance usually is the best pick. You can find situations for Safeguard. Massspellreflect is currently useless.
    -Avatar/Bloodbath for singletarget. Avatar if you need the burst. Bladestorm for best AoE damage if you can afford to not generate rage for 6 seconds. Macro Bloodbath with Dragon´s Roar.
    -Ravager if there are waves of adds that need handling (Mythic imperator, Thogar, Darmac). Also deals the best damage. Gladiator´s Resolve yields the best dtps ratio of the three talents. AM only if you have a good reason (Oregorger heroic)

Glyphs:
    -Unending Rage is mandatory
    -heroic leap if you need to get (away from) somewhere fast (oregorger)
    -death from above if you frequently need to get away from something (hans&franz, Kromog)
    -Blood and thunder to pick up adds
    -Cleave for.. well, cleaving

protips:
    - Wasting rage via heroic strike is a common mistake. Only ever touch heroic strike if it proccs due to ultimatum
    - Bleed excess rage into Shieldbarrier even if you are facing mainly physical damage. Smoothens out your intake
    - Demo shout needs a target to be debuffed. it thus does not help against dots, ground effects or damage coming from untargetable sources (like meteors summoned by the boss)
    - If you can manage it, the glyph of rude interruption can increase your output on some encounters. Current examples are oregorger, Furnace p1&p2, Thogar if you manage to target one of the menders, Blackhand for a short period during p2 if you get smashed up on the ranks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Emancptr View Post
    Stuff
    Also, read this guy.
    Last edited by Valech; 2015-05-29 at 11:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    Thank you all so much for the advice.

I used Stamina gems because i used AskMrRobot and it said that Stamina gems would be better.

But i will look into it and Thank you very much for the advice.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddwow View Post
    Thank you all so much for the advice.

I used Stamina gems because i used AskMrRobot and it said that Stamina gems would be better.

But i will look into it and Thank you very much for the advice.
    If you use AMR always pick the low/no stamina option in the stat weight section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.