Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    That's nothing, lots of people do 12 hour shifts. Even people with good jobs do 12 hour shifts.
    Yeah, and they're:

a) Paid very well for that (including overtime pay for working more than 8 hours in a day, where applicable)

b) Typically still only working 40 hour workweeks, if that. (For instance, a doctor could do a 12 hour shift, but then only do a few 6 hour shifts after, for a 30 hour workweek.)

c) Not 'hard physical labour', generally speaking. (Exceptions to this rule are typically great examples of a and b.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senka View Post
    This is pretty funny, but I think this also says something about the work itself. It seems inhumane. From 7 AM to sundown? So if sundown is even 6 PM (being generous), then that's 11 hours of hard physical labor. To me, even if that includes breaks, that's not right either even though the law was probably crazy too. The solution to the economy can't just be to continue to allow illegal/poor immigrants to be abused even if they're technically willing to tolerate it.

Regardless, this does show it was necessary to employ them in the current economy. This is an example of a problem fixing itself in the worst possible way and because the proposed solution was so goddamned stupid.
    Apparently they're paid by how many crates of produce they manage to collect and load into trucks each day, kind of like commission work.

But either way, it would seem mexicans are much harder workers than a lot of natively born american citizens. If hard work to make your money is prized, then a certain political party should be wanting them to come in in droves. Xenophobic nativism however is a powerful force.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Yeah, and they're:

a) Paid very well for that (including overtime pay for working more than 8 hours in a day, where applicable)

b) Typically still only working 40 hour workweeks, if that. (For instance, a doctor could do a 12 hour shift, but then only do a few 6 hour shifts after, for a 30 hour workweek.)

c) Not 'hard physical labour', generally speaking. (Exceptions to this rule are typically great examples of a and b.)
    What difference does it make to your body how much you are paid?. You want to get paid more do like I did and work full time loading trailers at ups and go to school at night full time. If you cant do that then you aren't really trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    'Top dollar' in the case of shitty and/or dangerous work is disproportionate to the actual amount of work.

If there weren't migrant workers, they would mechanise. That's how machine harvestable tomatoes were developed, after all.
    There is a lot of farm work that can not be mechanise such as picking apples oranges other fruits and vegetables they bruise or it would just tear the food up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream101 View Post
    There is a lot of farm work that can not be mechanise such as picking apples oranges other fruits and vegetables they bruise or it would just tear the food up.
    This was once that case of tomatoes as well.

Any manual labor can be mechanized. The issue is its cost effectiveness versus human labor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senka View Post
    This is pretty funny, but I think this also says something about the work itself. It seems inhumane. From 7 AM to sundown? So if sundown is even 6 PM (being generous), then that's 11 hours of hard physical labor. To me, even if that includes breaks, that's not right either even though the law was probably crazy too. The solution to the economy can't just be to continue to allow illegal/poor immigrants to be abused even if they're technically willing to tolerate it.

Regardless, this does show it was necessary to employ them in the current economy. This is an example of a problem fixing itself in the worst possible way and because the proposed solution was so goddamned stupid.
    Farm work is not the same as your working at home depot or wal-mart or office jobs the farm does not stop needing watering spraying and worked on with live stock and plants. That is why there are no work hour restrictions on it. Because I might have to turn on the wind machines or we need to get this food picked before the freeze or need these plants to get the water they need. Farm work can be a 24 hour day job.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.

Any manual labor can be mechanized. The issue is its cost effectiveness versus human labor.
    To be fair though they had to breed a new type of tomato for it. Not saying it is impossible for other crops, but it isn't as simple as if they don't have labor to make a machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account

let me know how they would get all the fruit from inside the tree or even know where its at. Tomato plants you can destroy getting them you cant do the same with trees or grapes or some other foods if they could they all ready would have. Some things machines cant do maybe in another 50 years someone might come up with robots that can climb ladders and not damage the tress and food but that is a very long way off. Its like Apples when you pick a Apple and you put it in your bag say you lean on the ladder with the bag you will bruise the apple and then no one wants it there is alot of things than picking some off a tree and dumping it some things need care and machines cant do that right now maybe ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    What difference does it make to your body how much you are paid?. You want to get paid more do like I did and work full time loading trailers at ups and go to school at night full time. If you cant do that then you aren't really trying.
    What an ignorant thing to say. Not everyone is equally physical capable; to suggest that someone who is not able to do such a job is simply not "really trying" is asinine, and such statements speak poorly of your character and judgement.

I'm glad you were able to have a support system in place that allowed you to accomplish what you did; don't act like a) everyone has that, and b) everyone should do what you did. Actions aren't correct based solely on the virtue that you conducted them, you know.

Finally, there comes a point where one can say "$X isn't worth the hard labour." The value of X may vary from person to person, but to suggest that X should never be anything above zero is, simply put, crass.

Disagree? Come and wash my car for fifty cents.

If you can't do that, then you really aren't trying.