Need Urgent Help Very Important

I work at Express, the clothing store. It's my first job and I HATE IT! Customers treat me horribly and I'm terrible at the cash register. I went to the training and despite the managers and other employees trying to help me, I STILL can't learn it. The policy is too complicated, the computer has a massive amount of functions and I forget how to do things and I get yelled at by my managers and other employees don't want to work with me because I ask too many questions and I feel terrible.

A lot of them hate being in other registers next to me and thus refuse to even speak to me because they know I'll ask questions. They push us to ask questions, but my managers are so tired of me asking, that they get mad if I do and tell me to figure it out.

I'm stuck. Either the customer yells at me and tells the manager how bad I am or the manager does it him/herself. I can't learn the whole process while others learn it in a day and they always force me to spend my entire shift in the register and I'm out of options. I feel completely miserable, HOW DO I LEARN THIS STUPID MACHINE?????

Can anyone please help? All my managers are annoyed by me since I'm known as the stupid employee with half a brain who can't learn simple commands on a computer. I NEED HELP

I'd suggest finding a new job and probably something other than retail to avoid what you said you disliked in your third sentence. If you want to stay there for whatever reason, then I'd suggest trying to get the help you need from your managers once more and take notes. Study your notes and practice. Otherwise, I suggest my first suggestion again.

Video record them using the registers and study it at home.

Or find another job.

Find another job if you don't like it. Nobody forcing you to stay. Just find a new job before you quit.

Write down the steps if you cant remember them. Notepads are awesome.

Biggest thing of note, is just do your best to relax while at work. Try not to stress yourself out, learning and memory is hindered severely when you are stressed. Hence test taking problems for students. Maybe try asking a manager if you can come in when the store is not open and get some practice on the register.

The calmer you are at work, the better you'll be treated as well. It's likely your anxiety that is causing the issues, and not your lack of learning.

Find some time that you can spend just hitting all the buttons and learning all you can about the register and what not. I work at a pizza place and we have computers with a specific system as well, with different buttons and special instructions and various other things. One of the best ways to learn is to get shown the important things and the weird things, and then to sorta just explore it on your own when you don't have any customers.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Take notes and make a quick reference sheet you can use if you forget.

10+ Year Old Account
    In two weeks the entire register system will be second nature to you. Just keep at it, and if they get pissed that you ask questions, that is there problem. You aren't going to be fired for asking training questions.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just googled, you have cancer, it's probably malignant as well.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-05-30 at 05:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Many of us get in that situation when starting new jobs we know nothing about. I was clueless at my current job and employees hated working with me etc. But I didn't quit and give up. I eventually got good at it and now one of the best at my job, everyone wants to work with me!

Don't give up on it! you'll get no where in life being a quitter. Keep at it, you will eventually get it. It might not feel like it at the moment but you will get there if you keep at it.

So what if people get mad at you? just expect it and try to not let it bother you. It's only short term, in a couple months you'll be good as gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    In two weeks the entire register system will be second nature to you. Just keep at it, and if they get pissed that you ask questions, that is there problem. You aren't going to be fired for asking training questions.
    I'm new at jobs, so I don't know what are my rights/ what will or won't get me fired. I just try and stay out of trouble as possible and I think the managers notice and so they abuse me. I get told the most out of everybody and always pressured more than anyone else. I guess they can see that since I don't know much outside of high school, they think that they can squeeze me for all I am to get more money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosk View Post
    Many of us get in that situation when starting new jobs we know nothing about. I was clueless at my current job and employees hated working with me etc. But I didn't quit and give up. I eventually got good at it and now one of the best at my job, everyone wants to work with me!

Don't give up on it! you'll get no where in life being a quitter. Keep at it, you will eventually get it. It might not feel like it at the moment but you will get there if you keep at it.

So what if people get mad at you? just expect it and try to not let it bother you. It's only short term, in a couple months you'll be good as gold.
    Thanks, this really helped. Some employees/customers are really supportive and this one lady would just chuckle and say it was okay and she was really nice. I always thank customers for their patience when I take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by neffero View Post
    I'm new at jobs, so I don't know what are my rights/ what will or won't get me fired.
    You're working entry level retail. They can fire you if you breathe in a way that annoys a manager, or you can quit if they don't let you breathe in your preferred way.

But really, learn the computer system. Fast. As a manager myself, I expect to show someone a thing once, and only once.

Edit: I also work in perhaps the most cutthroat industry. If you're slow, you get cut, and Jamie over there gets more hours.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2015-05-30 at 06:27 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I used to work for FedEx a few years back before I got pregnant. During my pregnancy, I was put up front to work the counter - as I couldn't deliver / pickup anymore due to weight restrictions with my pregnancy. Anyway, at the FedEx office I worked at, there were 2 older women that worked in there as full time employees who knew EVERY FUCKING THING in the WHOLE FUCKING OFFICE (yeah right). They hated training people, so I requested to get officially trained. My managers thought this was a good idea, so I got sent for training to run the register / computers to ship stuff. (FedEx pays for everything when they send you away for training, to include airfare, its nice!)

When I got back, I noticed something the 2 ladies would constantly do; If a customer showed up, needed to ship a package, then said, oh shit, wait, I gotta go out to the car to get xxxxx, they would get frustrated, move to the other computer and help another customer because they didn't want to start the whole process again by deleting the current customer's crap (zip code, address, service type, etc). Anyway, the class taught me something they didn't know. The computers had a "Suspend" button at the top of the screen - meaning, if you needed to attend to someone else, you could suspend the current transaction taking place and start another.

Both of the older ladies were shocked by this, thanked me for showing them. A month later, one of them was teaching a new part timer some stuff and she claimed she "stumbled" onto the suspend button. - sigh. No credit.

So.. in the end, learn something they don't know, then shove it in their faces!

Or, get a job at FedEx, they do like CSRs (Customer service reps) to work front counters. Pays well and offers full benefits + paid training.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie423 View Post
    Biggest thing of note, is just do your best to relax while at work. Try not to stress yourself out, learning and memory is hindered severely when you are stressed. Hence test taking problems for students. Maybe try asking a manager if you can come in when the store is not open and get some practice on the register.

The calmer you are at work, the better you'll be treated as well. It's likely your anxiety that is causing the issues, and not your lack of learning.
    This is the best advice in this whole thread. Train yourself to be able to calm yourself quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

What Point of Sale (POS) software do they use? Find out and look up some videos on Youtube like this one:

How long have you been there? Every job seems daunting at first. The job I had prior to this one they was a call centre. They didn't train me at all and we had multiple systems to learn. Like 7 of them and I was a nervous wreck and desperately wanted to quit as I hated it. I couldn't handle it and like you was asking a million questions of everyone around me . I was confused as hell and stressed out as hell. After a while I got used to it and it became easy.

All I can say is it will be overwhelming at first. Don't quit otherwise you'll quit every job when the going gets hard. The more you do it the easier it will get and in a month or so you'll wonder what you were even worrying about