Note 4 vs Iphone 6/+

I just got a new note 4 after having a iphone 4 for ever. I went to the note 4 for more freedom with android (emulators and plenty more) but quite frankly im kind of regretting it. Lucky i have 14 more days to return it for something different now before you say it's a personal choice or some nonsense like that just pause that thought. Im writing this thread for opinions from those who have owned both or from those who went from one to the other. Im really disliking the battery life on the note 4. For example i charged it fully left it alone for an hour played with it for 15 mins (downloaded apps tested netflix) and noticed the battery life drop from 100% to 85% in that time... I have already looked into conserve battery threads for the note 4 and applied all the stuff i read prior to experiencing this. Also im noticing lag that i did not experience on the iphone 4. i know this is a new experience for me so i dont want to trade it in just yet. I enjoy the stylus and editing features but not really aware of what the N4 can do better than an iphone. Any helpful facts opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

if your battey drains this fast, try turning off the wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, and turn down the brightness to around 50%. with these things turned off i can use my note 4 for 2 days, only when i need internet at home or on the run i turn on either mobile data or wifi depending on the location i'm at.

- - - Updated - - -

there are alot of guides on the internet which tell you how to get the most out of your battery. at the moment the note 4 is a phone with one of the best batteries out there

Quote Originally Posted by Jartim00 View Post
    if your battey drains this fast, try turning off the wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, and turn down the brightness to around 50%. with these things turned off i can use my note 4 for 2 days, only when i need internet at home or on the run i turn on either mobile data or wifi depending on the location i'm at.

- - - Updated - - -

there are alot of guides on the internet which tell you how to get the most out of your battery. at the moment the note 4 is a phone with one of the best batteries out there
    Samsung Note 4 learn from the usage of the owner, IF you turn everything off the phone will learn that you don't use them often and it will move resources somewhere else.
    Android phones in general are acting that way, the phones learn about the owner and manage resources based on the usage. It takes about 2 months for a full cycle.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Battery life issues don't come from shit like WiFi, it's all those extra background services that Samsung loads onto your phone that really does it. You have to modify the OS and kernel in order to improve the battery life, as has been the case with most Samsung and Android phones in general. If you know someone who has the software to do it, get them to optimize your Android Lollipop OS and the kernel to something more efficient. I had issues with my battery life when I got a Tab S and putting a modified stock Lollipop OS on it made a world of a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, look at your battery usage graph and tell us if your phone is staying awake with screen off too often, if it is, something is wrong.

Second, tell us what you did:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardjenkins View Post
    I have already looked into conserve battery threads for the note 4 and applied all the stuff i read prior to experiencing this.
    Third, what Note 4 model are you using? Exynos 5433 or Snapdragon 805?

Well, I own a 910C which is the Exynos international version and sincerely, this thing is ridiculous. You can literally keep every app at the backgroud because of the ridiculously 3GB of ram and simply launch them instantly when you need. Also, at raw CPU power, 5433 is almost the same as the 7420 (which is the same SoC at a smaller manufacturing process and a bigger GPU), I can't see how you may be suffering from lag, this phone is absurd enough to make Touchwiz feel lightweight.

And about what it can do better than an iPhone? Well let's not go technical here since you don't seem like someone who'd want me to point technical difference, let's make things easier and tell you what Android itself can do better than iOS from a average user perspective. Android runs at Linux kernel, it is a fully functional system that can adapt itself as the user needs it to be, there isn't something you can't do at Android unless you have a hardware limitation.

For example, if I type faster than average at my phone, and I feel that having the normal 1s long press at the keyboard is slowing me down, I can easily change it to another value. I for example use it with 150ms, which is a lot faster than normal, but works for me.

Android has multitasking, yes iOS runs one thing at a time, the rest is cached and since most devices lack RAM, you'll be seeing a lot of reloads if you go back and forth between apps.

I'm sure newer devices are better than that, but my iPad 2 (great tablet, at it's time...) can't keep 2 safari tabs opened and switch between safari and any other app, if I minimize Safari, open any other thing, minimize this thing and go back to Safari, both tabs will need reloading.

Android is the system that has changed the most at the past few years, but there is something that has never changed and it's always been a huge advantage of it, all your apps as soon as you install them, are completely integrated to the system. iOs works as an App launcher that runs something, this something has it's files, and does it's things. At iOS app A can't interact with app B, it's like a huge ship with containers, you can go there and open a container, but you can't use something of another container when you're inside another one. Android is different, it's not simply an "App launcher", it is much more of a system than that, once you've something installed, this thing is associated with everything it can do by the system, a photo editor for example can be easily launched when you print screen with the share button at the notification bat. Any app can access any file, they can work together.

You can go to your gallery, look at your photos and simply open any of them with any of the apps that can open photos to do something with them directly from the gallery.
    That's the main difference, Android is a system that manage apps, iOS is a system that separate apps. You wouldn't be able to do the same at a iOS device, you'd need to go there, open the app you want and then choose the photo inside of it.

And sincerely, Android has a ever growing mod community that is always trying to enhance the user experience, I have a Galaxy S3 here running Android 5.1, considering it's a fairly old device, that's awesome. You don't have to rely on the manufacturer, when they drop support, you can easily find a great dev supporting your device at XDA, and use the newer Android version that wasn't officially ported by the phone's company. Using your iPhone 4 as an example, you went from iOS 4 to iOS 8, and they're all the same thing because Apple don't want old devices to have the same software features as the newer ones. Same story with my iPad 2.
    If they were Android devices, there would be people to port proper versions of the system.

And come on, even a Moto G is better than a iPhone 4, comparing a Note 4 with it is not even remotely fair... This phone adds an entirely new set of useful things you can do because of the stylus and some Samsung perfumery. It's like having a mouse at your phone, watch some videos if you're not sure how to use it.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-05-30 at 02:40 PM.

I have an Iphone 6+ and the battery is amazing. I get 2 days on it easy with heavy usage. No having to "turn this off" or "disable that".. Why should you have to gimp your phone to get usable life out of the battery? Seems kind of stupid that you can't use all the features that the phone has because battery life sucks.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I have an Iphone 6+ and the battery is amazing. I get 2 days on it easy with heavy usage. No having to "turn this off" or "disable that".. Why should you have to gimp your phone to get usable life out of the battery? Seems kind of stupid that you can't use all the features that the phone has because battery life sucks.
    Removing bloat ware isn't gimp in your device, it is making it run better. Samsung and pretty much every other phone maker puts extra useless apps on the default OS which makes the battery life suck. I can run my Galaxy Tab S for a couple of days browsing the Internet, but it didn't do that on the stock OS.

Also im noticing lag that i did not experience on the iphone 4. i know this is a new experience for me so i dont want to trade it in just yet.
    Welcome to Android. It's going to get worse the longer you have the device.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Samsung and pretty much every other phone maker puts extra useless apps on the default OS which makes the battery life suck.
    Nexus devices don't have bloatware. My HTC One M8 (developers edition) didn't have any bloatware. Phones like the Moto X or G generally don't have much if any bloatware. Samsung is notorious for slogging down their phones with the most redundant apps they can fit in the ROM. Apple isn't innocent from bloatware either, my iphone has a nice apple watch app on it that adds 0 functionality to the actual phone itself, requires an apple watch for its use, and cannot be removed. The only upside is it doesn't effect performance at all.

I can run my Galaxy Tab S for a couple of days browsing the Internet, but it didn't do that on the stock OS.
    Thats exactly the point im having to make. Why should people have to basically format a phone, install a custom rom, then disable things just for barely par performance? All Iphone users have to do is take the phone out of the box, turn it on, .... and thats it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sincerely, the Note 4 is really durable.

I'm not familiar with Snapdragon versions, but they should be good too.

The phone is going to last you 24hours and I bet you'll have a chance to charge in 24 hours. Also, fast charging is ridiculous, just plug it when you can and you'll never ever get close to being out of battery.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-05-30 at 10:58 PM.

Not to mention that spare batteries aren't that expensive. I've sounded pretty pro-Apple in this thread so far, but if I was a road warrior or traveled more than I do, a phone with a removable battery would be my first choice, hands down.

**another side note, you will get used to Android and you will probably end up loving it. It took me a while but once you get used to it and see the value in the different environment, it's not as simple as iphone vs android. The biggest reason I went with my 6+ was that I wanted a phablet, don't like touchwiz, and wanted more battery life than the Nexus 6 could offer. If The nexus 6 had about another 1-2 hours of on screen time (I see 3-4 hours of screen on time on average), I would be using that right now. About the only unforgivable sin I can see with android right now is update inconsistency. When IOS is released, everyone gets it. When a new version of android is released, some people get it now, some people get it later, some people don't get it. Carriers get their filthy fingers in the mix and delay things WAY too much.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nexus devices don't have bloatware. My HTC One M8 (developers edition) didn't have any bloatware. Phones like the Moto X or G generally don't have much if any bloatware. Samsung is notorious for slogging down their phones with the most redundant apps they can fit in the ROM. Apple isn't innocent from bloatware either, my iphone has a nice apple watch app on it that adds 0 functionality to the actual phone itself, requires an apple watch for its use, and cannot be removed. The only upside is it doesn't effect performance at all.

Thats exactly the point im having to make. Why should people have to basically format a phone, install a custom rom, then disable things just for barely par performance? All Iphone users have to do is take the phone out of the box, turn it on, .... and thats it.

Yell at Samsung for being stupid in that department then. It isn't hard to do a mod unless you are completely computer illiterate. And if you can't install something like a custom or modified OS, maybe those users would be better off as iSheep to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Note 4, and that battery issue, but the fun part is that it is a result of the Lollipop update! I used to go to bed with the phone full charged and wake up with it losing only like 3% power, now its that 15%, 20%, 25%. The fun part is that the update took 6 months for me to get, 6 months of testing and this shit wasn't noticed, and then they deliver the patch and made the device worse in almost every aspect. Be it the battery, the shitty new notifications, the home button failing randomly... but hey it has a flat icon design!

Yeah go get an iPhone.

I'm on T-Mobile's jump plan and will get a new phone in 5 months, probably the Windows 10 launch flagship, but if I bought one now it'd be iPhone as I am done with Android and its horseshit update setup.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2015-05-31 at 01:08 AM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Korgoth, I had to use a Korean modified version of Lollipop because there wasn't a fixed custom ROM in English for my Tab S, all I had to do was change the language and the homepage though and it was fine. Battery was dying in 30 minutes playing Hearthstone when I installed those shitty Lollipop updates.

iSheep
    I love the insane amount of bullshit that Android fans put up with using their phones, but still call Iphone users "iSheep".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Korgoth, I had to use a Korean modified version of Lollipop because there wasn't a fixed custom ROM in English for my Tab S, all I had to do was change the language and the homepage though and it was fine. Battery was dying in 30 minutes playing Hearthstone when I installed those shitty Lollipop updates.
    I might try a custom ROM, already bought into the "factory reset will fix it" myth, so I don't have much to lose on it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Well firstly thanks to all the positive and helpful feedback from both sides, this was the information i was looking for as opposed to some dreadful fanboy debate. Im going to ride it out for a few more days look into how hard modding can be and it's benefits. For those who asked in regards what I did for better battery life based off threads i read was reduce the brightness to lower than most peoples phone. I have power Saving on, im constantly clearing recent apps through the button and thats about all i can remember doing lol. Also DrArtorius i was never comparing the i4 to the note 4 that would be silly, i was merely making the reference from apple to android based off what device i traded up for. Anyways thanks again for all the helpful information it was truly appreciated.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love the insane amount of bullshit that Android fans put up with using their phones, but still call Iphone users "iSheep".
    Bullshit? Huh, what only took me 30 minutes to change sure made my devices better. And at least I can customize my interface, Apple are such Nazis when it comes to customization all across the board, at least Google doesn't give a shit about modding while Apple constantly swings their iron cock at people for doing it with updates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well firstly thanks to all the positive and helpful feedback from both sides, this was the information i was looking for as opposed to some dreadful fanboy debate. Im going to ride it out for a few more days look into how hard modding can be and it's benefits. For those who asked in regards what I did for better battery life based off threads i read was reduce the brightness to lower than most peoples phone. I have power Saving on, im constantly clearing recent apps through the button and thats about all i can remember doing lol. Also DrArtorius i was never comparing the i4 to the note 4 that would be silly, i was merely making the reference from apple to android based off what device i traded up for. Anyways thanks again for all the helpful information it was truly appreciated.
    Well, look at your battery graph and see if the phone is awake with the screen off. Sure, using black background for text readers, low brightness, power saving mode and such will help, but we're not talking about the discrepancy between your results and the average 20hrs/charge with more or less 4h screen on time. Snapdragon users (which I suppose your device is Snapdragon) were posting SS of 8hrs SOT at XDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I have a Note 4, and that battery issue, but the fun part is that it is a result of the Lollipop update! I used to go to bed with the phone full charged and wake up with it losing only like 3% power, now its that 15%, 20%, 25%. The fun part is that the update took 6 months for me to get, 6 months of testing and this shit wasn't noticed, and then they deliver the patch and made the device worse in almost every aspect. Be it the battery, the shitty new notifications, the home button failing randomly... but hey it has a flat icon design!
    I left my phone last night without charging and I lost 1% over 8 hours. Yours is not deep sleeping, something is maintaining it awake.
    New notifications are tricky indeed, you can disable the ones you don't want to see popping at your screen, the new notification drawer however, is better.
    And no home button failures here.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-05-31 at 03:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different strokes from different folks.

There are clear trade offs between the phone manufactures. Apple has dug them self a huge hole for the past years, hence why they also receive huge amount of hate.

As an Android owner, It can get rather frustrating with custom ROMs, but if you want to get more out of your money with extra modifications and options in general, Android is the only way to go.

I wouldn't call it "insane amount" either, it's just as much as OSX.
    -K