Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    There's no way you can get all the achievements introduced in 6.2 in two days.
    Pointless "grind to grind" achieves are not content.

The quest line is the only real content(which wont take an afternoon) then its more lame "fill a bar" apex dailies.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Mission table that requires a new currency to use. Warlords of followers!
    Is this just a garrison follower reset then? Do your ship start as dog shit and you build them up sending them on missions and then get better missions/gear/loot the better your ships get? All with a new currency just so it takes months again of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's very strange to me that they've created another set of assets (although they are reusing old ship models from the game) for the garrison docks that will mostly be used in a passive way: as an elaborate frame for a mission table portrait.

Just really baffling to me given their stated problems with asset creation. I can't say that I have seen any of it but if their primary content constraint really is art assets, this seems to be an awful lot of flavor for what amounts to very passive play.
    I actually think the shipyard was really "cheap" for them to deliver from an art asset perspective. They are:

- Re-using quite a bit of existing art in the general shipyard area
    - Re-using the Mission Table code, you just pick ship(s) to send instead of humanoid followers
    - Re-using the follower system itself, using ships as "npcs", with the only addition being that you can name your ships (visible only to you and only in your Mission Table / Follower screens anyway). This simply entailed using a renamed resource (oil), renaming the traits, etc. I mean really they probably just copied and pasted the code (unless they're really good and wrote it so that it's calling the same methods no matter whether you are in garrison or shipyard missions), and likely just added lines to a lookup table for trait names, etc.
    - New "icon" art and such to display within the mission table / ship tab UI. As WoW art assets go, icons are a lot less work than most other things.

Much less expensive than writing the code for the original garrison follower/mission feature. Reuse, recycle, repurpose. On top of that, a lot of the uncorrupted "jungle" themed art for the 6.2 version of Tanaan was already created for the Tanaan intro area and so probably only needed some tweaking to be placed within the full zone geography, leaving them time to do the fel tainting in parts.

I mean if you compare building shipyards (via repurposing an existing production system), and going back to finish Tanaan to say, adding a whole new zone such as Farahlon, the latter would be MUCH MUCH more art intensive. New geography, new structures, new organic and inorganic zone features, new creatures, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Is this just a garrison follower reset then? Do your ship start as dog shit and you build them up sending them on missions and then get better missions/gear/loot the better your ships get? All with a new currency just so it takes months again of course.
    pretty much. on top of that there are also missions that can destroy your ships if you fail, causing you to permanently lose that ship so you would have to build a new one and re-outfit it.
    and in case you are wondering: yes, if you want your hellfire loot chest you have to use the shipyard to get it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's very strange to me that they've created another set of assets (although they are reusing old ship models from the game) for the garrison docks that will mostly be used in a passive way: as an elaborate frame for a mission table portrait.

Just really baffling to me given their stated problems with asset creation. I can't say that I have seen any of it but if their primary content constraint really is art assets, this seems to be an awful lot of flavor for what amounts to very passive play.
    You act like this is a new thing. Their priorities have been out of whack for a while now.

After all the criticism about people just sitting in their garrisons sending followers out on missions, they actually have the gall to add a 2nd set of followers (re-skinned as ships) who get sent out on a completely separate set of missions? Really?

Do we get new things for the existing followers to do? Or do they just go idle and all our attention is supposed to turn to the new ship-followers?

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    After all the criticism about people just sitting in their garrisons sending followers out on missions, they actually have the gall to add a 2nd set of followers (re-skinned as ships) who get sent out on a completely separate set of missions? Really?

Do we get new things for the existing followers to do? Or do they just go idle and all our attention is supposed to turn to the new ship-followers?
    Not only that, but the shipyard is required for both gaining entrance to Tanaan and completing the legendary quest.

It's like they didn't hear the feedback at all. Or did and went the complete opposite direction just to fuck with people.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    There's no way you can get all the achievements introduced in 6.2 in two days.
    Especially when you consider they're still being actively worked on, and not complete yet - you still can't build a sub, the quests for the upgrades aren't implemented yet (you can buy upgrades from the Tauren in SW though), and it's looking around 75% finished.

Shipyards will be heavily gated like Garrisons. Count on it. It's more of the new "dailies" that WoD introduced. You won't max it out for quite a while - when you're not at the shipyard mission table, you'll be in tanaan grinding oil for ships and missions.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some missions for followers to get oil, but one of the CMs said they would be rare, and that most of your oil will come from Tanaan.

And yes, you have to at least build the shipyard to open up Tanaan and get the mission to build the Garrison hub there, after building the ship to "invade" Tanaan.

Other than that, old followers will just be for income and caches. It's hard to say what's going on there, right now none of my PTR characters can access the garrison table, after building a shipyard. It's been all over the place, one thing is fixed, another breaks - typical PTR.

The part that I'm curious if it will be in the release, is there's a NPC next to the garrison mission table that sells 3 mounts, and 645 boosts for your followers, 500 gold to upgrade armor or weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.

You start out with 'training missions" with green level ships, and level them to epic. If they don't sink. You build to do larger group missions, or "blockades", to open up new sections of the map. Ship upgrades are earned, and it's not implemented in the PTR yet, a lot of them refer to blueprints and quests that aren't around yet.

The only good thing is there's an "unsinkable" upgrade, that lowers the chance of losing your ship. Haven't been able to use it yet, so I don't know what the guarantee is.

The problem is that they plan content and patches months in advance. I'm sure when they started the shipyard they thought garrisons were a great idea and the shipyard would be a great addition to garrisons. Of course, we know (and hopefully) they know that both the garrison and shipyard are terrible content. However, they can't change quickly so we're stuck. What worries me more is that they've been working on the new expansion for months (or years?) based on the idea that WoD is a great expansion. That's really why I unsubscribed. I don't foresee any improvement in WoD and the new expansion will be equally terrible. It's a depressing thought and certainly not worth me throwing more money at the game.
    Last edited by Stellan; 2015-06-01 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Not only that, but the shipyard is required for both gaining entrance to Tanaan and completing the legendary quest.

It's like they didn't hear the feedback at all. Or did and went the complete opposite direction just to fuck with people.
    More likely they were already too invested in building the framework of the 6.2 crap by the time they got the "garrison menu game = crap" that 6.2 would either need to be delayed another couple months or continue working and ship it early summer, making whatever minor changes they could.

What's that about grinding oil? Do I have to use the shipyard at all after I built it and gained access to the new area?
    What do I gain from the naval missions, just gold and item caches and... just the same as with the old missions, only for ships this time?

I don't feel like grinding for anything, I rather get free gold from my existing mission table and forget about oil and the grind for it.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    Well ffs... That feature sounded interesting too.
    What would you do in a boat?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paradyne View Post
    I have it on good authority that the next expansion will consist of the most beautifully conceived biggest world ever for a world of warcraft expansion...unfortunately only your followers will be experiencing it. You'll be paying $70 to sit in a tiny room with a command table sending your followers out to experience it and hearing about their amazing adventures.
    I predict that next expansion everyone will be saying "BRING GARRISONS BACK", the way everyone's bitching about how much better the game was with MoP dailies. That were the harbingers of the apocalypse according to the forums at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Aren't we the commander? Don't we have goons to handle this kind of shit?
    No, Thorne is the commander she got the big desk, we are just the figurehead who gets to run around and do errands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I predict that next expansion everyone will be saying "BRING GARRISONS BACK", the way everyone's bitching about how much better the game was with MoP dailies. That were the harbingers of the apocalypse according to the forums at the time.
    I like my Garrison. I like the way all my pets flit around and the followers talk to each other and go to the inn and sit around. I just want more customization and more that makes it feel like home.

When the next expansion comes along and Bliz tells me that my garrison will not carry over in any way they are going to have a seriously hard time convincing me that's a good thing. They better have some damn compelling features to replace it.

If it doesn't tide us over to the next expansion we will get an airfield next =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Yep.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it literally impossible? Like because you need to "do all daily quests in tanaan jungle" so you won't be able to because of that restriction. Or do you think it's impossible because of time investment. I assume the former unless you don't know the power of nolifers :] I know I'll have every achievement available on day 1.
    OMG! If that's not an image problem...........................

Blizzard FIRE your PR team!!
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one complained about dailies themselves. People complained about the amount of dailies they felt they "need" to do and the over the top gating of the cool stuff behind dailies behind dailies behind dailies.

What blizzard did? Removed dailies entirely.

It's the Blizzard thing.

Remember how they said that Firelands dailies were a success in Cata? In MoP they went to the extreme and overdid the dailies.
    Remember how they said that Isle of Storm and Timeless Isle were a success in MoP? In WoD they went to another extreme and - well - the entire expansion is a Timeless Island. Only worse.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

for pretty much anyone with so much as a casual raiding guild, the shipyard will be pretty close to mandatory since you can't get the hellfire cache from followers so you will fall behind if you don't use it.
    thought there was something else you had to use them for....hm. I lost interest and stopped keeping track of them prey early on so i can't recall much. oh well.
    i do believe that some missions are locked behind others. i recall seeing a vid where some areas were locked behind blockades you had to break before you could get certain missions.

7+ Year Old Account
    What would you do in a boat?

I thought it would be like the quests in thousand needles where you got the boat, you'd drive it to quest hub A and do that set of quests. Then you'd select a mini faction like the firelands quest hubs and unlock a new set of dailies. Choose to upgrade your boat into a submarine and do some more quests.
    Testing the waters (hur hur punny!) for the next expansion that people have been speculating at with Azshara or whatnot.
    Last edited by dixincide; 2015-06-01 at 01:45 PM.

SNIP....

I predict that next expansion everyone will be saying "BRING GARRISONS BACK",

SNIP....
    I only see that happening if they make gold much harder to get in the next expansion. Screw up gamers ability to get easy tokens.

Gold and mats are so easy now, if blizzard screws that up, thats when gamers will want them back. Not because garrisons are interesting at all.

But like other things in wow like dailies from MoP, blizzard is sure to swing the pendulum way to far the other way and screw things up.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-06-01 at 01:58 PM.