Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Buying carries? Never understood why would anyone do that.
    I bought cm boost in MOP because I cba finding 4 competent people who are actually interested in cms and aren't elitist assholes asking full gold achi beforehand. And I like the phoenixes. The yeti is ugly though, so I possibly won't bother nowadays.

People buy arena carries all the time because you need conquest gear to not be steamrolled in pvp, so they pay someone geared to carry them to the cap especially when it's undergeared alt with huge cap to fill.

Now raid loot runs I have no clue why people buy, the gear with lose value, and if you buy carries it means you don't raid, so you get zero benefit form that gear. Unless they're buying stuff like Blackhand mount, which will stay with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    stockpile it and save.

who knows when you need it next.
    Hi

I have enough alts to sustain raiding (enchanting toon, alchemy toon, fishing toon, ect) that I just use my gold on the BMAH. I think I've prob spent like 700k on BMAH this xpac.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    When you buy token from the shop and sell it on AH to get gold - what do you use that gold for?

I mean there is finite number of things you can buy with gold, what else can you need more gold for? Will token prices constantly go up, with less and less people have a need for gold?

I have about 60k gold and dont really know how to spend it.

So, what do you need gold for?
    I do not buy tokens since the first day they were released and became so devalued that you can get gold other ways for considerably less.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I don't think it's worth it to spend money on a token to sell it for gold. You would still get a better price from the gold farmers if you're into that sort of thing. Not that I'm condoning that or anything.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

If demand is high but supply is low = gold prices per token goes up.
    If demand is low but supply is high = gold prices per token goes down.

If no one's buying tokens with gold, the price will drop because there's no demand for them. If no one's buying tokens for real money, the gold price will go up because there will likely be demand for the tokens. The gold prices have largely stagnated suggesting there's roughly equal supply and demand at the moment despite the tokens taking 2-12 hours to sell apparently. How long that will last is anyone's guess.

I bought two tokens personally with gold and haven't activated them yet since I'd debating if the game's worth it after my sub ends. I'm leaning heavily toward no. So I'll sit on the token until something worthwhile is added. I'm hoarding gold instead.

As for what people are spending it on, chances are probably big ticket items they couldn't afford otherwise.

The token system is brilliant when you think about it. The server millionaires hoard gold claiming they have nothing to buy. As soon as Blizzard puts in a gold sink, they buy it and recoup that money very quickly. The BMAH did little to make a dent in their wallets because items they wanted rarely appeared for sale. Who's fault is that but Blizzard? Of course they can't just make rare items a regular thing. They should be rare after all. But then many rich players have no reason to buy anything from the BMAH because what they want so rarely appears. So the BMAH didn't really do what it was intended to do very well. It worked, just not as well as it could have. It should have been set up to always have 1 piece of current armor, 1 pet or toy, 1 mount, 1 recipe or legacy armor, 1 unclaimed cache, and 1 random item. Then it's not so much of a question of what's for sale at all that day but what's for sale in the category I want. People would have been far more interested in the BMAH because it would be more predictable and more gold removed from the economy. But that's a problem for the rich.

So meanwhile, poor players complain they can't afford the big ticket items. Thus Blizzard brings in the token that takes money from the rich and gives to the poor. The rich get 30 days of game time and the poor get a fair chunk of gold. Now they can afford those big ticket items the rich bought as soon as they were released, and you can get your own personal BMAH in your garrison in 6.2. So more money gets removed from the game economy.

Issue is, the rich just recoup that gold rather quickly so it doesn't do anything. The rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. And what's going to happen when the rich have free time for years and no longer want tokens? Only ones left to buy the tokens will be the poorer players who won't be able to afford the tokens until their price drops substantially. Blizzard should really retune their store so you can sell the mounts and pets on it for gold, too. As new ones hit the store, there's new demand and more gold shuffled about. The value of tokens as game time only lasts for so long before they're just not worth the real money value. If poorer players weren't making much gold before, how's that going to change now that they can buy tokens?

Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    If demand is high but supply is low = gold prices per token goes up.
    If demand is low but supply is high = gold prices per token goes down.
    riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

apperantly the demand is so low or the supply is so high that it is not worth $20 dollars to speculate on tokens. They never go much above 25k, which is a pitiful return for a real $25 cash.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    You say that, but that's exactly how the system works.

They stay around 22k because the market dictates such. If the gold price goes higher, more tokens are bought to supply. If the price goes lower, people stop providing them.

I don't think demand has a huge impact. Nobody is going to buy or not buy if its 20k or 25k. The deciding factor is largely supply.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venarik View Post
    This is something I've been really curious about as well, especially given how little gold you get per token.
    You should differ between US (where its lol amount you get) and every where else...

You are joking right?

Pet/mount/heirloom cost 5k to 100k.
    You can easily spend 200k gold every month.

As for 20k gold is not a lot, this is norm in all MMORPG.
    $2 buys you 1 hour of farm.
    It is below minimum wage.

You cannot expect $20 (20k gold) buy 10 mounts/pets or a full set of gear.
    You are more likely get 1 to 2.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2015-05-31 at 10:30 PM.

When you buy token from the shop and sell it on AH to get gold - what do you use that gold for?

I mean there is finite number of things you can buy with gold, what else can you need more gold for? Will token prices constantly go up, with less and less people have a need for gold?

I have about 60k gold and dont really know how to spend it.

So, what do you need gold for?
    Well now that they removed currency systems they made gold much more important like it was in Vanilla, I'd expect to see some demand for gold in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You are joking right?

You can. There's generally little reason to do so, though. I spend that kind of money maybe once per expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I do not buy tokens since the first day they were released and became so devalued that you can get gold other ways for considerably less.
    I wish I could say the same... In EU they go for double the US price, which is ridiculous, but happened because Russia doesn't have separate region so they drain the tokens out of the market...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    I wish I could say the same... In EU they go for double the US price, which is ridiculous, but happened because Russia doesn't have separate region so they drain the tokens out of the market...
    That's a blatant lie, Taiwan is one of the wealthiest countrys in the world but has token prices above 250k, and Korea 150k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You are joking right?

As for 20k gold is not a lot, this is norm in all MMORPG.
    $2 buys you 1 hour of farm.
    It is below minimum wage.

You cannot expect $20 (20k gold) buy 10 mounts/pets or a full set of gear.
    You are more likely get 1 to 2.
    And when you buy pet/mount/heirloom you want, you dont need gold anymore. Then who will keep buying tokens off shop?
    Imo, supply of tokens will decrease, demand will stay the same, resulting in slow,but steady increase in token price on AH, at least in EU. US market is kinda odd.

Anything you can think of, really. Consumables, BoE stuff, but mounts and bigger purchases as well. Some people have very little WoW time, maybe only really logging in to raid. If they have spare cash in real life, this is a way to enable that even with small amounts of time. So... All the stuff people already buy with gold, people buy with their token gold.

And when you buy pet/mount/heirloom you want, you dont need gold anymore. Then who will keep buying tokens off shop?
    Imo, supply of tokens will decrease, demand will stay the same, resulting in slow,but steady increase in token price on AH, at least in EU. US market is kinda odd.
    You're working under the factually wrong assumption that the playerbase and the game is static. Sure, you might not need it anymore, but there are others that just started the game, or people that want the new stuff introduced in the latest patch.

Not to mention that some gold drains are recurring, like repair costs or consumables.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    That's a blatant lie, Taiwan is one of the wealthiest countrys in the world but has token prices above 250k, and Korea 150k.
    What's a lie? That Russians had cheaper sub so for them buying token for RL money was so expensive in comparison to sub they wouldn't bother? So obviously they'll have buyers for the gold token but won't have buyers for the $ token.

And I'm not gonna discuss Taiwan prices because many people said it's because botting is abundant there which I cannot verify so it could look like unfounded claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used it to buy Transmog, my favorite thing to do in WoW.

After that, I usually just save it and wait until something awesome I can afford on the Auction House, or BMAH.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?