Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    I've been looking for comparisons between 7 (Ultimate) and 10, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't basically sensationalist media or personal opinions with no numerical data to back it up. My rig is about four years old now, I think, and I've no idea if I should go 10 or not. :|
    Win 8/10 is faster and uses less RAM than 7 and is the way foward with stuff like DX12.

Basically everybody whose lives/jobs are not depending on something that wont work in the new version should be upgrading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Not sure why you would want to do that though - it's not like they'll be running out of licenses or "reservations".

Indeed. But I'm not sure Microsoft will allow this for Windows 10, i.e. transfer your W10 license to another machine.
    Wouldn't make much sense considering they dropped the hardware binding limitations with windows 8 entirely afaik, but then again its Microsoft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    I've been looking for comparisons between 7 (Ultimate) and 10, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't basically sensationalist media or personal opinions with no numerical data to back it up. My rig is about four years old now, I think, and I've no idea if I should go 10 or not. :|
    Well you get the whole "cloud-onedrive-microsoft-account" integration when upgrading from W7 (most of it is already in w8).
    Whether that's a pro or a con depends on your personal view of these things.

You can also run the new universal w10 apps which might become "a thing" in the future.

For your gaming needs you'll get DirectX12 which appears to provide some solid benefits. Definitely a plus.

There's Cortana - not sure if that's really helpful on the desktop. Some Privacy concerns there too.

Compared to W7 you'll get a kernel overhaul with improved security features.

Microsoft promises that with W10 it will keep you device always on the latest version of windows - downside is that you most likely need a new license when upgrading your PC. (So better upgrade your device first, migrate W7 and then upgrade to w10).

Overall I'm torn: the UI still doesn't convince me and has some rough edges in the preview and I don't want cloud and assistant integration.
    OTOH dx12 and the new universal apps (if the permit easy side-loading on all versions) are strong arguments in favor of an upgrade.

Deleted
    Question: I currently have a desktop with Windows 7 OEM. I will upgrade my HDD to a 1 TB SSD in about a month and upgrade to Windows 10 after that. Next year, I'm planning on upgrading my CPU, Mobo and RAM to Skylake and compatible hardware. Will I have to buy another Windows 10 license at that time? Or can I just keep using the Windows 10 license on my existing SSD?

- - - Updated - - -

Well you get the whole "cloud-onedrive-microsoft-account" integration when upgrading from W7 (most of it is already in w8).
    Whether that's a pro or a con depends on your personal view of these things.

You can also run the new universal w10 apps which might become "a thing" in the future.

For your gaming needs you'll get DirectX12 which appears to provide some solid benefits. Definitely a plus.

There's Cortana - not sure if that's really helpful on the desktop. Some Privacy concerns there too.

Compared to W7 you'll get a kernel overhaul with improved security features.

Microsoft promises that with W10 it will keep you device always on the latest version of windows - downside is that you most likely need a new license when upgrading your PC. (So better upgrade your device first, migrate W7 and then upgrade to w10).

Overall I'm torn: the UI still doesn't convince me and has some rough edges in the preview and I don't want cloud and assistant integration.
    OTOH dx12 and the new universal apps (if the permit easy side-loading on all versions) are strong arguments in favor of an upgrade.
    AFAIK, you can keep using a local account that's not integrated with your Microsoft account. If you want Cloud/Onedrive/Cortana, you can then link a separate Microsoft account.

They can be disabled anyway

Hmm I have windows 7 and it's not there...

this is the reason you don't turn on automatic updates (for anything)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    They can be disabled anyway
    How well that works on release and further down the road remains to be seen. Removal is already not possible afaik.
    Search already seems to ignore the policy setting to not search the web for me (might be a preview issue though).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Even now with Windows 8, you could move your current HDD to any PC that can work with Windows and it will automatically adjust to it (hardware wise). Plug'n'play style thing. But, I can't say 100% it will be same for win10 but I'd find it rather dumb that you can't all of sudden.
    That's because Windows 8 itself has a limited lifetime whereas Windows 10 has not (hence binding it to the hardwares lifetime)- well unless they change the policy later

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Question: I currently have a desktop with Windows 7 OEM. I will upgrade my HDD to a 1 TB SSD in about a month and upgrade to Windows 10 after that. Next year, I'm planning on upgrading my CPU, Mobo and RAM to Skylake and compatible hardware. Will I have to buy another Windows 10 license at that time? Or can I just keep using the Windows 10 license on my existing SSD?
    Well, those who know, don't talk and those who talk, don't know - maybe even nobody knows yet ("Details on our device’ supported lifetime policy will be shared at a later time.").
    However given the unlimited lifetime of W10 itself the assumption of some sort of hardware binding (main board?) doesn't sound unreasonable.
    But to be sure you'd have to wait until release and possibly some time after.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2015-06-01 at 02:44 PM.

Deleted
    It's a smart move.

The more penetration Windows 10 will have, the less legacy software around, which means more upgrades.

Early adopters aren't certainly businesses which means the bulk of their income will stay where it is now.

Well done overall, it's a solid business decision imho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    this is the reason you don't turn on automatic updates (for anything)
    Which might not be possible once on W10:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/piecing...or-windows-10/

Those running Windows 10 Home will have just one choice -- the Current Branch. (...) Windows 10 Home users won't have the option of delaying or deferring anything [updates].

Those running Windows 10 Pro are going to have two options: Current Branch or Current Branch for Business. But the CBB option will give Pro users more flexibility about when they apply the new features, fixes and security updates from Microsoft.

I've heard from one of my contacts that Microsoft is planning to allow those with access to the CBB to defer new feature updates for Windows 10 only for a set period of time. But they cannot defer them indefinitely.
    At this point this has not been confirmed by Microsoft ("no comment").

Will the window 10 upgrade be essentially a fresh OS install, meaning it removes all programs ect... I've been meaning to do a fresh reinstall of windows 8.1 for a while now. Should I do it before, or just wait till windows 10 is released?

Quote Originally Posted by Valstorm Warsong View Post
    Will the window 10 upgrade be essentially a fresh OS install, meaning it removes all programs ect... I've been meaning to do a fresh reinstall of windows 8.1 for a while now. Should I do it before, or just wait till windows 10 is released?
    I read somewhere that you can choose between a clean install or an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Valstorm Warsong View Post
    Default is upgrade which leaves all programs and settings as they were. You can do clean install too, but need to make bootable DVD or USB stick first.

Deleted
    So, I did read it will be free and the offer runs for 1 year, and I saw the replies saying it will be free indeed... but I still don't believe it. I mean, why would Microsoft offer me Windows 10 for free for life? There must be a catch... I mean, even if I do get a new computer, I could just take my HDD and plug it into my new one and still have the windows, right? What if I want to format my PC, where would I re-download the Windows 10? This must be the catch... somehow... maybe I'm just paranoid because I've been cheated by companies before... but I don't know...

Also, please explain to someone who has never upgraded their operating system on the same computer (basically, when I went from XP to Windows 7 I also bought a new computer, and that was the only time I upgraded) how does this work? Does it work like a formating, as in, erasing all that exists in C: ?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    So, I did read it will be free and the offer runs for 1 year, and I saw the replies saying it will be free indeed... but I still don't believe it. I mean, why would Microsoft offer me Windows 10 for free for life? There must be a catch...
    It's really simple and there are two main reasons:

1) Microsoft wants all Win7 and Win8 users convered to 10 because then they can cut back on all support (that costs shitloads of money) for the old versions and focus on 10 alone.

2) Microsoft wants to sell apps to Win10, and to do that they must hand out Win10 fo as many people as possible. Taking the standard 30% cut all other app stores get is shitloads money.

It's pure profit for Microsoft when everybody converts, so they can give the OS to converts for free (and still keep asking full price for new computer builders and buyers).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I mean, even if I do get a new computer, I could just take my HDD and plug it into my new one and still have the windows, right?
    Maybe, maybe not. If Microsoft decides to bind the license to a specific hardware (most likely the main board) you'd have to get a new license if you change that hardware.
    The details have not been announced just that they "will keep it up to date for the supported life of the device, for no additional charge". How they define "supported life" or "device" has not been specified yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 dual boot user here and I'm wondering how they're going to do it in time... Sincerely.

Build 10074 was almost stable, but the newly 10122 and 10130 are still way too buggy. Drivers failing all the time, start menu not rendering, windows search breaking from time to time being unable to find any program. Main window glow appearing at full screen mode for some programs, wireless that sometimes just chose not to work and a ridiculously bad update experience so far from build x to x+1.
    I mean, I don't expect a beta system to be stable, but they've got only 2 months to fix a huge amount of issues. That's not good.

Well, it does feel snappier and it's much more elegant than 8.1 though.

I'm amazed on how modern apps are finally usable after a simple change from being full-screen only to win32 style windows, seriously, a lot of things are modern apps (spartan included), their interfaces aren't thaaaaaaat bad and they all run ridiculously fast because they're made to work even at damn phones.

Can't seem to get it to run :\ Have the updates, but GWX just keeps looping with an error log about CEIP modules not registered. Bleh.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 (genuine)

tried opting in to CEIP, but no dice.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Can't seem to get it to run :\ Have the updates, but GWX just keeps looping with an error log about CEIP modules not registered. Bleh.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 (genuine)

tried opting in to CEIP, but no dice.
    work PC or personal PC?

Would be fun if they told us how many pre-orders
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO