Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Well a mix of both, I don't mind gimmicks in and of themselves if done well, but a lot of fights focused on the gimmick and didn't have a whole lot of fight.

Deacons was pure gimmick but really anticlimactic as you just threw yourself at the soul mob and won.

High lord wolnir was a huge gimmick trying to get the giant skeleton in there, then there's not much meat to the fight itself it was more just about having a giant skeleton.

Curse rotted greatwood was similar, but more engaging than high lord wolnir. Here's this giant thing, go beat on its lil parts.

soul of cinder had the whole weapon switching thing but the fight itself was easy.

Pontiff was actually the toughest fight for me in the game, until I got to the part where he whipped out his clone gimmick and then the fight fell over.

Wyvern was wyvern.

Sage was more anticlimactic than gimmick I guess? They tried to push all the fancy crystal magic + teleporting but in the end you just bum rush him and spam left click and he falls over. Aldrich was more this kind of fight done right than sage was.
    Did you ever consider that they made Deacons fight anticlimactic on purpose? You went there, expecting to find Aldrich, but instead you find his cult minions gone hollow and insane waiting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    When people refer to gimmick fights in the Souls series they generally refer to bosses that only have one way to beat them or specific ways to beat them. Soul of Cinder, Sage, and Pontiff aren't gimmick fights.
    I'm using the actual definition of the word and not the souls definition so, point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Well, duh...
    Thatsthejoke.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Did you ever consider that they made Deacons fight anticlimactic on purpose? You went there, expecting to find Aldrich, but instead you find his cult minions gone hollow and insane waiting for him.
    Can't say I went in there expecting much of anything besides to fight a boss, and then it was just a bunch of dudes which was still pretty intimidating at first cause you're all *there's so many and they're walking at me all forebodingly* and then the fight design itself only punished you if you were too passive.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Can't say I went in there expecting much of anything besides to fight a boss, and then it was just a bunch of dudes which was still pretty intimidating at first cause you're all *there's so many and they're walking at me all forebodingly* and then the fight design itself only punished you if you were too passive.
    Ya I died on that fight once due to being passive and getting cursed.

2nd try I went ham on that fight and destroyed it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'm using the actual definition of the word and not the souls definition so, point stands.
    So moving the goal posts, rather than sticking to the context everyone else is using?

Point can't really stand if you have to change the criteria for it to work.

It also seems like you're treating anything that's not an attack using a weapon that you have to block or dodge as a gimmick, which doesn't fit either the standard or the Souls definition.
    Last edited by Berethos08; 2016-05-23 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    So moving the goal posts, rather than sticking to the context everyone else is using?

Point can't really stand if you have to change the criteria for it to work.

It also seems like you're treating anything that's not an attack using a weapon that you have to block or dodge as a gimmick, which doesn't fit either the standard or the Souls definition.
    You seem a lot more passionate about this than I am. Goal posts were never moved either.

Random note: I'm so bored, I've just been sunbroing curse rotted greatwood for the last few days cause I don't feel like progressing again right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Demon's Souls really has a lot of unique to only one boss mechanic. Not a bad thing imo, makes em unique. Some lack the usual swing set, gap closer and stuff.
    Storm King, sting ray clusterfuck with Storm Ruler
    Dragon God. Hide behind walls and run to the end with ballistas cause reasons.
    Old Monk. Only boss that can get a player summoned as the boss. Aka you fight a player as the boss if they place a red sign next to it.
    Fool's Idol. Kill a derp at the top otherwise you don't win, kind of odd.
    Old Hero: Blind guy, thief ring or walk / hit and run.
    Phalanx: Blobs and a core. Kill blobs and the core is effectively a useless blob.
    Maiden Astraea: You kill either the Garl Vinland or her.
    and stuff I can't remember about the other ones.

Your more traditional swing sets and gap closers and stuff bosses would more or less be the Maneater, Penetrator, King Allant and Flame Lurker.
    Oh god dont remind me of fools idol, the most annoying fight ever 8'(
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say that I liked the Dragon God gimmick fight most of all. Maybe it was just the scale, but it was the closest thing to a cinematic fight that I can think of in the Souls game, which made it stand out and something fun and unique to me. Running and dodging from the swipes as the pillars crumbled, trying desperately to get to the ballistae and bring the giant beast down...I had a lot of fun with it.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    There's a lot of mobs that went hollow and insane that aren't complete pushovers. No boss should be a pushover.
    Standard lothric knights are harder than that fight.

Having one boss thats a pushover is basically a Dark Souls tradition at this point though. Dark Souls 1 had Ceaseless Discharge, Dark Souls 2 had Prowling Magus and the Congregation, the Covetous Demon AND that fight with the Skeleton Lords that were all complete jokes. There was bound to be an easy one in Dark Souls 3 too somewhere along the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite it being easy, I still liked the Deacons fight since it was different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rather have deacons than pinwheel, fuck pinwheel, an unnecesary fight... however the concept of its existence is quite interesting.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

You seem a lot more passionate about this than I am. Goal posts were never moved either.

Random note: I'm so bored, I've just been sunbroing curse rotted greatwood for the last few days cause I don't feel like progressing again right now.
    Everyone else uses a specific context when talking about gimmick fights in the Souls series, and points out to you what that context is.

You tell everyone you're using a different definition than they are.

That right there is moving the goal posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    The name censor in this game just needs to go, it's not like this is a game little children will play. It's also ridiculous that a lot of legit names you come up with will get censored while I can name my character "ImFuckingWithYou" and not get censored.
    I was playing with a friend whose steam name is Bagdar. Dunno how that should be censored at all but it appeared as ***dar >>
    Then i've seen names like the example you used. It's baffling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just do Knight. K***ht.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    The name censor in this game just needs to go, it's not like this is a game little children will play. It's also ridiculous that a lot of legit names you come up with will get censored while I can name my character "ImFuckingWithYou" and not get censored.
    I honestly thought there wasn't a name censor with the names I've seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Just do Knight. K***ht.
    That just explained so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I totally surprised myself last night, started NG+ and I've already taken out the Dancer alone within half an hour of starting NG+. Took me around 10 or so tries in NG with help, this time around second try with no help at all. I'm proud of myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Just do Knight. K***ht.
    I have no idea why it would be censored...
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    I have no idea why it would be censored...
    I mean, look at what letters are censored.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, look at what letters are censored.
    With the ellipses I think he was being sarcastic with that comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    With the ellipses I think he was being sarcastic with that comment.
    Yes I was. As for Djriff's example he gave however, I have no legit idea for why that would be censored.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Having one boss thats a pushover is basically a Dark Souls tradition at this point though. Dark Souls 1 had Ceaseless Discharge, Dark Souls 2 had Prowling Magus and the Congregation, the Covetous Demon AND that fight with the Skeleton Lords that were all complete jokes. There was bound to be an easy one in Dark Souls 3 too somewhere along the line.
    Prowling Magus and the Congregation? I have absolutely no recollection of this boss, whatsoever. I just spent minutes trying to remember who that was and just had no idea what you're talking about. Then I looked it up on YouTube and still - I could swear I never saw those guys in my life. I feel as if I woke up from a hangover or something.

Was that an optional fight possibly? Well fuck me. I completely missed one of the most mundane Souls boss fights ever - it doesn't get any more anticlimatic than that!