Quote Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
    We have a winnnnnnnarrrr. She's so good. I have to go back to her arms every so often.
    tfw I thought it was that but felt it was too obvious

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    The 2016 version of Re:Re: is up on ねこサイト

haha my phone autocorrected "neko saito" to kana
    *heavy breathing*
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Me.

The only person with good taste in this thread. Except Neichus.
    pls, you forgot about me.

Duuuuude this version is perfection. It's so much more polished and atmospheric. AOTY, OP of the year, maybe ED of the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Duuuuude this version is perfection. It's so much more polished and atmospheric. AOTY, OP of the year, maybe ED of the year.
    I personally like the ED more
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    [IMG]http://data.whicdn.com/images/157550901/large.gif[IMG]

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Shit taste discussion again >.>
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

nsfw language

10+ Year Old Account
    >a gazillion pages

Skim-read the fuck out of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    >a gazillion pages

Skim-read the fuck out of that.
    You should read it, there is a good story on the how donald trump made anime real in there somewhere. It's a great read. explosion/10

Princess Tutu - 8/10

Princess Tutu is a traditional friendly fantasy with modern finesse. What is most charming about Princess Tutu is its earnest simplicity. The setting is that of a fairy tale: princes are noble, princesses are beautiful, love is eternal, and dreams come true. In a word, it sounds cheesy. And yet, I found myself sucked into it as it executed its premise expertly. While watching it I liked it to coming on a child playing make-believe. At first you find yourself only patronizing them. Clearly you know better; you just don't want to hurt any feelings. But strangely, against your will, you find that the enjoyment is genuine and that perhaps you're not so superior after all.

I think the other key to appreciating Princess Tutu is just knowing that it isn't trying to be subtle or deconstructionist. There are some twists and turns in the story that keep things interesting (more on that below), but these are merely the evolution of the genre. They are not a grim negation of what has come before such as what Evangelion or Madoka aimed to do for mecha and magical girl respectively.

Finally, where I watched the series only had the English dub. At first I considered this a bad thing but it grew on me rapidly. The anime has such a Western tone that hearing it in English seems natural after a short time. In addition, Luci Christian knocks it out of the park with her performance as Ahiru/Duck; after just a couple of episodes I had a hard time imagining this character with any other voice.

The Good:
    First, let's get the obvious out of the way: the music. The entire series is based on various ballets, and many of the episodes feature orchestral music to match. I am far from being an expert on the pieces, but I did enjoy them as they added some variety to each episode.

Next, I'd like to tip my hat to the child characters. I normally criticize young characters in anime, saying time and time again how the choice of adolescents is to the detriment of the plot. This is one of the few series where I would say the age choice is entirely appropriate. The simpler emotional structure of the series would be drivel if coming from adults, but from 12-14-year-olds it is more believable. Fakir's development in particular fits the mold perfectly, although the arc they took him on was unexpected.

And finally, I would like to give some praise to Princess Tutu's plot. The most surprising thing about it, to me, was that it had no major twists. They told us from the earliest episodes what would happen: Tutu returns the shards, Prince fights Crow, the story ends happily. Drosselmeyer isn't reinterpreted as the good guy, the Crow isn't secretly a tragic figure. But what makes the plot different are the small wrinkles thrown in along the way:

-Tutu doesn't end up with Myuuto and actually ends up a duck with no special powers. I was absolutely certain that there would be some sort of revelation at the end that would allow her to overcome her "curse" of confession, and that somehow she would remain as she was and end up with Myuuto. But she really was just that great that she fulfilled her mission and, although she was afraid, didn't end the series with any regrets. Reading some people's comments they thought it was sad or disappointing, but I thought it was a very sincere end to the anime. I was similarly surprised by how Fakir turned out. He finds out he really is a mediocre knight, and that his ability lies elsewhere. Again like many of these modifications, it was simple but unexpected versus what you would normally anticipate happening.

-The fact that it was a story played a part in the story. It wasn't an overwhelming aspect of the plot, it but did help ease some of the coincidences by explaining them quite neatly. But where I thought it was particularly interesting was in how it made both the townspeople and the audience overlook the oddity of random animal-people wandering around. I know I simply disregarded them after a while, although it remained a niggling thought in the back of my mind. Suddenly invoking this reality at the end, making us realize that our extension of disbelief was overextended.

-Tutu doesn't use violence in any way. I'm not sure if this was a personal surprise, but when some of the interactions turned ugly I expected her to break out some sort of special magic or something. But no, her only power is emotional comfort. This might seem strange to note in the "good" section, but it was an aspect of her personality that made so much sense but it was so easy to expect something otherwise.

There are several other things I wish I had room to comment on, but I'm going to wrap up the list here. But this gives a taste of how the practical execution of these small modifications on a traditional framework kept Princess Tutu recognizable but fresh at the same time.

The Bad:
    If I had to level a criticism at Princess Tutu, it is that there were some aspects that felt stretched/overused. Through the entire series, all 26 episodes, they skip Tutu's transformation scene once (it is in the second to last episode; trust me, I was watching). This obviously isn't a major sin, but it reflects the fact that at times Tutu's scenes are remarkably repetitive.

Initially the repeated approach of Tutu showing up, asking them to dance, and solving their problems was simply to be expected. It lays the foundations so when things don't always follow that formula later it has more impact. However, during the second half of the series they return to this theme as corrupted Myuuto tries to steal the hearts of various girls. It is almost the same scene every time. This really led to a sense of packing of some of the episodes. Did we really need a whole episode dedicated to flower girl or love letter-carrying girl, only to have Myuuto predictably show up, try to steal the heart, and fail?

There are also some times where I would have to criticize the use of stills, again as part of the repetition issue. However, I don't judge the series to harshly for this. It is merely something I noticed.

In closing, Princess Tutu is a series that I feel doesn't get nearly enough recognition. It might not sound or look like much at first, but it dances circles around many flashier series while still keeping to its own basic rhythm.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2016-03-16 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    In closing, Princess Tutu is a series that I feel doesn't get nearly enough recognition. It might not sound or look like much at first, but it dances circles around many flashier series while still keeping to its own basic rhythm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    Guess I shouldn't mention that I dropped ZnT way back when S3 finished airing right near the end and only restarted when the last season was going to start....forgot hwere I dropped it and put myself through S2+3 again
    Reading this made me realize there's multiple shows this could stand for. Zero no Tsukaima (the one referenced), Zankyou no Terror, and Zetsuen no Tempest. Among others most likely. Made me laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    Guess I shouldn't mention that I dropped ZnT way back when S3 finished airing right near the end and only restarted when the last season was going to start....forgot hwere I dropped it and put myself through S2+3 again
    Zero no Tsukaima S1 was great. I really liked it and I it was the first show I binge watched and finished in a single day. Then S2 happened, and instead of a fun fantasy setting we drifted hard into the ecchi/harem trope. S2 had like, what, 4 or maybe 5 story relevant episodes, the rest was more or less filler. I dropped S3 after 1 episode. God, why?

I also just finished volume 3 of the Ninja Slayer manga. Good, so good. I loved the anime, but the manga is ten times better. The story makes more sense and because the artstyle is serious the whole time, yet the dialogues are still as stupid as before, it's even funnier than the anime.

And finally, next season will kill me. 4 Shows in our weekly stream, not completely sure which those will be. Additionally, I want to watch these, whether we watch them in the stream or not:

- Big Order
    - Boku no Hero Academia
    - Bungou Stray Dogs
    - Concrete Revolution S2
    - flying witch
    - Gyakuten Saiban
    - JoJo Part 4
    - Joker Game
    - Kiznaiver
    - Not Attack on Titan/Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
    - Kuma Miko
    - Mayoiga
    - Sakamoto desu ga?
    (- Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou)

13 fucking shows. Maybe 14. I am so dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Zero no Tsukaima S1 was great. I really liked it and I it was the first show I binge watched and finished in a single day. Then S2 happened, and instead of a fun fantasy setting we drifted hard into the ecchi/harem trope. S2 had like, what, 4 or maybe 5 story relevant episodes, the rest was more or less filler. I dropped S3 after 1 episode. God, why?

I also just finished volume 3 of the Ninja Slayer manga. Good, so good. I loved the anime, but the manga is ten times better. The story makes more sense and because the artstyle is serious the whole time, yet the dialogues are still as stupid as before, it's even funnier than the anime.

And finally, next season will kill me. 4 Shows in our weekly stream, not completely sure which those will be. Additionally, I want to watch these, whether we watch them in the stream or not:

- Big Order
    - Boku no Hero Academia
    - Bungou Stray Dogs
    - Concrete Revolution S2
    - flying witch
    - Gyakuten Saiban
    - JoJo Part 4
    - Joker Game
    - Kiznaiver
    - Kuma Miko
    - Mayoiga
    - Sakamoto desu ga?
    (- Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou)

Don't worry, I know a guy who will start with watching every show and might not even drop them if he doesn't like them just to hate on the meh ones.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Reading this made me realize there's multiple shows this could stand for. Zero no Tsukaima (the one referenced), Zankyou no Terror, and Zetsuen no Tempest. Among others most likely. Made me laugh.
    Yet in context of what was being talked about and the fact there are multiple seasons...
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post

- Big Order
    - Boku no Hero Academia
    - Bungou Stray Dogs
    - Concrete Revolution S2
    - flying witch
    - Gyakuten Saiban
    - JoJo Part 4
    - Joker Game
    - Kiznaiver
    - Kuma Miko
    - Mayoiga
    - Sakamoto desu ga?
    (- Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou)

You can drop half of them already.
    Don't sweat the details!!!