Thread: Hdd/ ssd

Hdd/ ssd

hello

so my gpu should arrive later today and i was thinking of doing a full format of ssd/ hhd and do a fresh reinstall. my concern right now is ofc i will install OS on SSD but what else should i have on SSD and rest on HDD? i have a 120gb SSD which cant / wont fit all my games i normally have on pc (WOW ,LoL ,HOTS ,HS, Diablo ,GW2) so what should i do?

is it ok to install programs like Steam on HDD ? or games that take too much place like skyrim /Witcher etc on HDD instead? would having steam on SSD and games located on HDD affect anything?

thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats a tough choice. You -might- be able to squeeze most of those on there.

I know there is a trick to offloading most of WoW onto the HDD. If you do that, you might be able to fit them all on there (WoW, LOL, Hots, HS, Diablo, GW2 = 80gb. I have them all installed too. Windows is ~35gb.. So thats the limit right there without Skyrim, Witcher, and other Steam games..

If it were ME... I'd sell the 120gb SSD for like 50, and pick up a Crucial BX100 250gb for $90. I know spending money is probably not on your agenda, but it's still a thought (got a birthday coming up? =D)

I'm not sure how big Skyrim and Witcher 3 are, and if offloading part of WoW will help with that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

i can probably made do with HS, HOTS on HDD but steam and games like that i prefer on SSD , maybe lol also on HDD as i am always waiting on other people loading instead me having slow load in that game , so i was thinkin of of leaving most my SSD empty to play games such as Tomb rider / crysis / skyrim / WoW and witcher etc on SSD.

tbh i dont know what would be best , how much of a difference steam + the games from it on HDD make? and games like witcher. skyirum on SSD or HDD ? what would be the ups and downs

Obviously the games that you play often and/or have a longer loading time should be on the SSD.
    You can install all games that are too large or you don't play that often on the HDD. For blizzard games it is easy, you can just move the directory and everything is fine - so if you stop playing wow or diablo, you can simply move the directory from the SDD to the HDD, or vice versa. The blizzard launcher will find the game.

Also most steam games work just fine, you can find many guides or tools that do that move them automatically. If the steam game just starts another launcher (for example Rockstar Social Club for GTA) this probably won't work.

Very likely it would be faster if you install your launchers (Steam, battle.net, Origin...) also on the SSD, they are updated quite frequently and usually start with windows.

The advantage if you have them on your non-system drive is that if you re-install windows (because it was broken, there is a new version, or you bought a new PC...) you can directly start the launcher on your new PC and if you assign the old HDD the same drive letter as it had before the launchers will just update and verify some files and then start, with all games available (well, except those that were on the system drive before you reinstalled, and unless you did not manually restore them there).

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not sure how big Skyrim and Witcher 3 are
    Skyrim is 8690 MB (with dlc)
    Witcher 3 is ~27GB according to my GOG download(got a free GOG copy from new graphics card) but some sites are saying it's 30-35GB. *Shrug*

I would put older games on HDD and newer games on SSD. I have skyrim on my HDD and loading times are still very close to instant. It isn't necessary to put it on the SSD IMO.

Single player on SSD, Multiplayer on HDD, you could categorise WoW as either, depending on how often you find yourself staring at a load screen.

yeah was thinking of doing that Justin, but having steam on SSD and skyrium on HDD gave me some issues with modes /: not sure if its related to that but some were unable to load etc.

which on topic , i am gonna avoid making a new thread and ask , i am gonna open my pc and clean it as i have this buzzing noise coming from either psu /mobo (is it even possible?) or HDD, + gonna redo the cable management etc.

so is it sane to use vacuum /hair drying if i ran out of canned air? and use a brust to get dust off from tricky places on mobo etc?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I know there is a trick to offloading most of WoW onto the HDD.
    You can't do that anymore with the new file system they switched to with WoD.

But yeah I'd recommend getting a bigger SSD, they are a lot cheaper nowadays, especially if you catch a sale.

As far as dusting inside your case... be very careful, especially with getting dust off motherboard, etc. If your vacuum has a way to blow air rather than suck, you'd be wise to use that.