• Yes.

142 81.61%
  • No.

32 18.39%
Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are you a gamer? (VIDEO GAMER)

I have over the last few years, kind of evaluated this question, I am probably going to date myself here, but, I have been playing video games, since banging it out on Atari 2600, 2800, NES, Sega Master System, Super NES, Sega Genesis, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, to PC Console and real recently PS4, yeah I skipped between 1 and 4.

So my question really started back probably about 4 maybe 5 years ago, as gaming kind of seemed to emerge as more online realities became a thing. But, Honestly, I never liked the culture and kind of hate what it's become, I always hated Anime, and for the most part, when it comes to games, I play them heavily WHEN their are games I like, but have zero interest in things like Indie Games, which until recently, I never really observed as a thing.

So the question is AM I a gamer, and I honestly after careful reflection have to say a firm "NO!"

Based on all I said above, and my understanding, I would honestly say I enjoy some games, and gaming from time to time, maybe more casually now than I did, but what about you would you describe yourself as "A GAMER"!
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-06-03 at 01:59 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Played NES/SNES, Nintendo 64, PS1 etc, but now a days its just PC gaming for me. Sometimes Nintendo Wii when drinking and hanging out with friends.

And have played a lot of games in all kind of genres. So yea, I'd say I am a gamer.

Deleted
    Nice blog.

Superficial label described by your own standards. If everyone described things by their own definitions then no one will answer the same question.

Am I a gamer (someone who plays games)? Yes. In fact, the vast majority of this forum are "gamers" despite any excuses or stories they want to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Superficial label described by your own standards. If everyone described things by their own definitions then no one will answer the same question.

Am I a gamer (someone who plays games)? Yes. In fact, the vast majority of this forum are "gamers" despite any excuses or stories they want to say.
    Well, I don't agree, I think there is a pretty specific definition, or at least some I have run across, that really do more than not have a criteria for what in their mind makes up gamers and gaming.

I don't think picking up a paddle, or enjoying a game in the way I described for myself, would make one generally a gamer.

Ask on a gaming forum if people around here are gamers.

Seems legit
    "Men, Women and Children. None were spared the masters wrath. Your Death will be no different" - Falric

10+ Year Old Account
    11 gaming devices make you come to the conclusion not to be a gamer?
    color me puzzled now...

Am I a gamer? Definitely...... Always was. And that has actually nothing to do with video games. The term isn't exclusive to those games.
    Someone playing tabletop games frequently is just as much a gamer.
    I'd even include pen and paper games, and card games.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Funny question asking on a gaming web site

Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Funny question asking on a gaming web site
    Just because you get in the pool doesn't mean you are a swimmer, especially if you stay at shallow end.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but I am talking about Gaming or being Gamer as it relates to Culture.

Deleted
    That's like saying a person who reads is a cultured man. He could be reading comic books, for all you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Just because you get in the pool doesn't mean you are a swimmer, especially if you stay at shallow end.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but I am talking about Gaming or being Gamer as it relates to Culture.
    Still... these's a gaming website, so yes... people here are all gamers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    11 gaming devices make you come to the conclusion not to be a gamer?
    color me puzzled now...

Am I a gamer? Definitely...... Always was. And that has actually nothing to do with video games. The term isn't exclusive to those games.
    Someone playing tabletop games frequently is just as much a gamer.
    I'd even include pen and paper games, and card games.
    This really isn't a thread or question about whether you play a mean game of solitaire Wildtree!

I would say if gaming is your main hobby then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Still... these's a gaming website, so yes... people here are all gamers.
    Well this is a Curse Website, people coming here could come her for lots of reasons, and the definition of playing a game thus being a gamer seems like a disingenuous sentiment at best.

Asking "are you a gamer" on a gamer website. Ok...

Since i was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No Bravo View Post
    That's like saying a person who reads is a cultured man. He could be reading comic books, for all you know.
    Uh- is their a type of game you can play that makes you a gamer? Or a type that doesn't? Your analogy doesn't apply to this whatsoever. If you play video games then you are a gamer, period. /thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a car and drive every day to and from work.
    But I am not driver because I can't drive buses, trucks, trains, excavators or tanks

Even playing snake on dumbphone can make someone a "gamer".
    English is not my mainspec!

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

I have over the last few years, kind of evaluated this question, I am probably going to date myself here, but, I have been playing video games, since banging it out on Atari 2600, 2800, NES, Sega Master System, Super NES, Sega Genesis, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, to PC Console and real recently PS4, yeah I skipped between 1 and 4.

So my question really started back probably about 4 maybe 5 years ago, as gaming kind of seemed to emerge as more online realities became a thing. But, Honestly, I never liked the culture and kind of hate what it's become, I always hated Anime, and for the most part, when it comes to games, I play them heavily WHEN their are games I like, but have zero interest in things like Indie Games, which until recently, I never really observed as a thing.

So the question is AM I a gamer, and I honestly after careful reflection have to say a firm "NO!"

Based on all I said above, and my understanding, I would honestly say I enjoy some games, and gaming from time to time, maybe more casually now than I did, but what about you would you describe yourself as "A GAMER"!
    So you've played games all your life and continue to do so today and yet you are not a gamer? Whatever you say, buddy. /rolls eyes

Sounds more like you're just in denial. Here let me help...YOU ARE A GAMER.