Low End GPU question

Hey guys. I got this PC that i play wow on when not at home.

It uses an i3-3240 with 4 GB of RAM and is using it's Intel HD 2500 integrated GPu unit.

My question is will i see any benefit of using an old GS 7800.

I will still be runing on low settings 1280x800 windowed mode as i am only using it to do garrison missions and other daily chores when i don't have work at hand.

I'd like to be able to do other activities like maybe ashran but atm with the integrated option if i enter ashran and somtimes the PC will crash with something that apears as not enough memmory and restarts. I've tried to solve it but with no success so far.

So the old GS 7800 or leave the PC as it is.

Edit: Officialy WoD doesn't support either of the 2 but it should work on both. The 7800 was used on another PC in early MoP and am curently using the HD 2500 it is holding 40-50 fps while alone in the garrison atm with the low settings ofc.
    Last edited by Pyrophobia; 2015-06-03 at 01:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

The 7800 is much better than integrated anything. If you have the option to put some more ram in, you may want to do that too, but the 7800 should be fine for anything outside of raiding with dozens of spell effects going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    Yes.

The 7800 is much better than integrated anything. If you have the option to put some more ram in, you may want to do that too, but the 7800 should be fine for anything outside of raiding with dozens of spell effects going off.
    Well not better than anything integrated. I was going to put it in another old PC that the GF is using for browsing but turns out the assus MB there with NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI MCP was running way smoother. Then i was able to find comparison charts for those 2 that put them qute equal so i removed it form there and left it with the integrated. Ofc there are no games being used there and less power consumption and noice are both a plus.
    I can't find any good comparison between the HD 2500 and the GS 7800 that i could use and mounting it just for the tests will waste a few hours atm due to how things are set.

Hence i wanted to bounce the idea before i spend the time x2 + dismounting it if it sux

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    Yes.

That's not necessarily true for old cards. That 7800GS scores a 171 in the passmark G3d test while even the Intel HD3000 scores 310.
    Unfortunately they don't have the 2500 ranked but some other benchmark claims that the 3000 is about 25% faster than the 2500, which in turn would mean the 7800GS will be worse than the 2500.

Edit: The benchmark also shows the HD2500 being comparable to a Radeon HD5450 which scores 231.

Of course those benchmarks are somewhat generic but I definitely wouldn't expect a big improvement with the 7800GS.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5871/i...phics-tested/3
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2015-06-03 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    That's not necessarily true for old cards. That 7800GS scores a 171 in the passmark G3d test while even the Intel HD3000 scores 310.
    Unfortunately they don't have the 2500 ranked but some other benchmark claims that the 3000 is about 25% faster than the 2500, which in turn would mean the 7800GS will be worse than the 2500.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5871/i...phics-tested/3
    I've already vewed the 7800 vs 3000 chart and am aware of the 2500/3000 difference
    But the score difference might be based on the fact that 7800 is only dx 9.0c and the 3000 can support higher dx 11
    And that might be a non matter for WoW - WoD ...

In SC2 on that bench the 3000 is far better than the 2500 and if their score on "passmark" is pumped because of the Dx11 that the 7800 does not support that means the 7800 shouldoutperform the 2500 on dx9.0 stuff by a lot.
    Last edited by Pyrophobia; 2015-06-03 at 01:53 PM.

Deleted
    Well the only way to be sure is to try it out....
    The benchmarks do indicate that performance should be worse with the 7800GS.
    However WoW might be suited better for the 7800 and run somewhat better but definitely not by a large margin.

It might resolve your crash issue but no guarantees there either.
    Personally I'd try to investigate those crashes a little bit further but then I don't know how much effort you already put into that. At some point I'd probably say, screw this let's try a different graphic card

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Well the only way to be sure is to try it out....
    The benchmarks do indicate that performance should be worse with the 7800GS.
    However WoW might be suited better for the 7800 and run somewhat better but definitely not by a large margin.

It might resolve your crash issue but no guarantees there either.
    Personally I'd try to investigate those crashes a little bit further but then I don't know how much effort you already put into that. At some point I'd probably say, screw this let's try a different graphic card
    Yep seems like it. With low settings where i don't need all the eye candy that the DX11 and the 2500 can do since i am not using them anyway.
    I did put some effort in trying to resolve it but now that i am on W10 tehical i haven't even tried ashran to see if it's been resolved in this setup.
    It was crashing after being in ashran for a while like not being able to flush the RAM.
    Now that i think about it W10 might not like the 7800 much

- - - Updated - - -

On this benchmark: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/pt7_gpu_list.php

is the Intel HD 2500 named only Intel HD the one just above Intel HD 3000 and Intel HD 4000
    with score 305 and rank 487
    where the 7800 GS is score 487 and rank 317 making it better
    even the Intel HD 3000 seems worse than the 7800 with 409 score 369 rank

Seems like an older list (possibly from 2012) with older tests and different results based on
    PerformanceTest V7 Videocard G3D Mark unlike the ones at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
    Possibly the WoW engine downgraded to low quality on everything is more comparable with the 2012 results...
    I am not sure how i got to that benchmark so no idea if i am reading it properly.

So on Dx9 the 7800 is better than the 2500 and on DX 11 it's reversed .... pfffff have to test it after all.
    Last edited by Pyrophobia; 2015-06-03 at 02:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophobia View Post

even the Intel HD 3000 seems worse than the 7800 with 409 score 369 rank I am not sure how i got to that benchmark so no idea if i am reading it properly.
    Hmm the number on that page do not match the ones in their graphical overview...
    Code:
                  GF7800 GS  HD 3000 Radeon HD 5450
    G2D Rating	206	   464	     431
    G3D Mark	184	   310	     231
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php

Only proves that one should be careful with benchmarks.

In any case they appear to be in the same category performance wise.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2015-06-03 at 02:43 PM.

It's because it's the older version of the benchmark V7 as i edited my test to add that info.

not sure what V7 consists of but it's from 2012 so it can have Dx11 in it and should tbh.

Different benchmarks as with different games = different results.

Conclusion: will have to test myself