First time maining a hunter! :)

Hello I took a break for about 2 months I used to play a unh dk got him up to 686 and had a lot of fun. Then unh got boring. And with 6.2 around the corner with unholy being nerfed a bit I know I'll have to play frost most the time and I'm all set. So I'm parking him and picking up my hunter. I know SV atm seems to be awful in PTR. But which is the preferred spec at the moment and going into 6.2? I've played mainly MM but that's when all I did was pvp with my hunter. So I'm kinda confused I guess? Is BM the spec I should be learning or are they both viable going into 6.2. Thanks guys

MM/BM are going to be very solid again as they are in this tier (you could honestly play any spec right now and still do effective damage). BM's 4 piece is ridiculously strong but MM is the target switching king and since thats a decent amount of fights in HFC they will be in a good spot. SV as of this moment will not be played by Mythic raiders for HFC if it goes live today.

10+ Year Old Account
    i agree with jpthepope. Go MM/BM and you cant go wrong. I would imagine SV will get some tuning after 6.2 drops and will either be the go to or actually become balanced as it is now. As always though, know all three specs inside and out and you never have to worry about not being able to perform! =)

Deleted
    6.1: All 3 specs viable with niche strengths & weaknesses.
    6.2: Currently looking good for BM & MM but not SV. Numbers tuning still yet to happen on PTR so SV may catch up before 6.2 release.

Either way, playstyle of the specs is unlikely to drastically change (at least until 2/4pc & trinkets) so find one you enjoy playing and can play well.

As a general rule;
    MM: Good vs 1-2 targets, poor AoE (burst can be acceptable with Barrage).
    BM: Strong vs all, weak vs widely spread targets.
    SV: Solid all-rounder, can do a passable impression of a multi-dotting spec.