Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Content spreadsheet

Bored at the end of my lunch and started this for my own curiosity.
    Did not include world bosses, also some will argue leveling dungeons
    against end game 5 mans / raids. It did take resources to create them. One
    reason I kept them in the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Deleted
    Blackrock Foundry wasn't patch content btw, it was developed and ready for 6.0.

Corrected. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    They also took like what, 5 years almost to create vanilla WoW and about 2-3 years after that to create the other expansions.

I hope they go back to a BC type of gameplay. When blues were actually good and not a generic stepping stone or vendor trash. Talents (even shitty ones) could make or break a PvE/PvP session. Reputation actually meant something beyond just pets and mounts (as much as I LOVE those two things).

I don't mind garrisons/shipyards, but make them less easy (aside from leveling up professions for alts).

EDIT: Also, I thought a lot of the new hires were/are working on the newer games, not just WoW. (Disappointing but it's not my company.)

World bosses should probably count if you're counting one-off raids like Onyxia and Magtheridon. Out of curiosity I decided to look them up:

• Vanilla - Azuregos, Lord Kazzak, Dragons of Nightmare (Lethon, Emeriss, Ysondre, Taerar)
    • BC - Doom Lord Kazzak, Doomwalker
    • WotLK - none
    • Cata - none
    • MoP - Sha of Anger, Galleon, Oondasta, Nalak, August Celestials (Chi-Ji, Niuzao, Xuen, Yu'lon), Ordos
    • WoD - Drov, Tarlna, Rukhmar, Supreme Lord Kazzak (soon)

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are counting rehashed dungeons as content?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    Please don't put vanilla world bosses on the same level as MoP/WoD "bosses". They're categorically different.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    So you are counting rehashed dungeons as content?
    Blizzard sure as hell are

It still amazes me, looking at Wrath, that 37 devs and 50 odd artists built it, and this current dev group, that's probably in the hundreds now, put out so little.

The scope of Wrath, from dungeons, raids, quests (twice as much as WoD), reps, dailies, Wintergrasp, DKs, the DKs starting zone, a wholly new continent with flying enabled, Inscription, and everything else that was packed into that expansion, was done by 37 people, in less time than it took to make WoD.

It just doesn't add up. More time, more people =/= less content. If Garrisons take that much of the dev team's time, then they're an utter waste. It just screams wasted effort and mismanagement.

What if there actually is more content coming, but Blizzard wants to keep it as a surprise so we'll all be amazed? What if near the end of the expansion Draenor blows up? "Time is a Flat Circle"... And then we get a revamped Outland. That would be badass. I think Blizz is holding out on us.

15+ Year Old Account
    That spreadsheet just made me sad to be honest. It's just ridiculous that they have so many more developers than ever before, and yet hardly any content.

Rehashed dungeons were new content for someone, but I do get where you're coming from.

And yes, the initial release had a longer development and planning stage. Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    I hope they go back to a BC type of gameplay. When blues were actually good and not a generic stepping stone or vendor trash.
    I remember a ganarg in the mines under honor hold dropped a blue quality greatsword with that purple crystal model they didnt reuse often if ever and the stat jump was incredible for my ret paladin fresh through the portal, it lasted me most of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Please don't put vanilla world bosses on the same level as MoP/WoD "bosses". They're categorically different.
    Just curious since I didn't join until BC - what was different about the Vanilla world bosses?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    They also took like what, 5 years almost to create vanilla WoW and about 2-3 years after that to create the other expansions.

I hope they go back to a BC type of gameplay. When blues were actually good and not a generic stepping stone or vendor trash. Talents (even shitty ones) could make or break a PvE/PvP session. Reputation actually meant something beyond just pets and mounts (as much as I LOVE those two things).

I don't mind garrisons/shipyards, but make them less easy (aside from leveling up professions for alts).

EDIT: Also, I thought a lot of the new hires were/are working on the newer games, not just WoW. (Disappointing but it's not my company.)
    blues werent good in BC, youve got some massive rose colored glasses on.

blues were what the majority had because raids were inaccessible to 70% of the wow playing populace. until s2-3 came about when almost literally everyone was in pvp gear.

also, rep meant you could run dungeons, and thats it. gear from rep was stupid expensive and if you were repping up odds are you were raiding anyway so you just got raid gear. or as i said, pvp gear. reps meant less than they do now, except they were a gate.

lastly, this content drought is probably a result of blizz working on the next expansion. theyve been working on whatever next exp is since WoD came out, so they effectively have half the staff they actually have.

is that a terrible and money grubby thing to do? yes. you should be calling blizz out for that rather than for imaginary reasons

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madone View Post
    Just curious since I didn't join until BC - what was different about the Vanilla world bosses?
    Difficulty and level of fun, mostly. Vanilla Kazzak was awesome and actually was a threat to the world. The world dragons (Emeriss, Ysondre, etc.) all had unique mechanics and loot tables. And they were still a challenge for a while afterwards. Just generally a really cool optional thing to do. I have good memories of it them - simply because things like the emerald dragonkin in Seradane, in the hinterlands were elites, and they posed a threat if you were levelling or alone. Offshoot things like that that you happened to stumble across definitely gave the world some scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Madone View Post
    World bosses should probably count if you're counting one-off raids like Onyxia and Magtheridon. Out of curiosity I decided to look them up:

• Vanilla - Azuregos, Lord Kazzak, Dragons of Nightmare (Lethon, Emeriss, Ysondre, Taerar)
    • BC - Doom Lord Kazzak, Doomwalker
    • WotLK - none
    • Cata - none
    • MoP - Sha of Anger, Galleon, Oondasta, Nalak, August Celestials (Chi-Ji, Niuzao, Xuen, Yu'lon), Ordos
    • WoD - Drov, Tarlna, Rukhmar, Supreme Lord Kazzak (soon)
    You forgot the Wintergrasp and Tol Barad bosses which I guess count as world bosses.

Even though the spreadsheet does show a decline in content across expansions, the sheet is only covering dungeon and raid type of content and not other types. I think MOP had the most content overall (which makes the WOD utter content drought so baffling). MOP had: the dailies, quests, scenarios, reintroduction of rares in world content, random goodies (relics, scrolls), 5.1 when the fleet landed, 5.2 Ilse of Thunder, 5.3 Pre-Orgrimmar Invasion and 5.4 Timeless Isle.

Since Blizzard loves to rehash content, I would like to see the Dragons of Nightmare and the Old Vanilla World Bosses come back (maybe as an event, like the planned Timewalker events).

Forgot Zul'aman which was originally released in patch 2.4. You have it listed under Cata, though.

But yeah, it's sad to hear "largest team ever" only for the content to be rather lacking. They used the excuse of acclimating team members in MoP. What's their excuse this time? Either Blizzard has a really super amazing jam packed 6.3 planned ... or something is very wrong at Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    You forgot the Wintergrasp and Tol Barad bosses which I guess count as world bosses.
    They're in the spreadsheet already; Vault of Archavon and Baradin Hold.

It is sad to look at but really on reflection it can be justified up to Cata's launch. It was just shy of meeting the same amount of max level content as Wrath at launch, but it's also not considering the huge overhaul they did to talents and all the 1-60 content.

MoP and WoD have no excuse.