10+ Year Old Account

Should I buy a Laptop?

Hey all,
    As the title suggests, I'm interesting in getting a laptop.
    Never owned one before; however with my new work, I'll be away from home fairly often.
    Here are some points I should share:
    -Living in Australia
    -Self Employed (thinking a certain amount of this can be claimed back with tax, though unsure)
    -For Gaming / Music recording / Movies and use away from my Desk at home.
    -Spreadsheets etc / general use also...

Through browsing, I've been able to come up with a budget around 1500-2000~ Though I don't mind spending a little more if need be.
    As for specs, I'm looking for something around...
    8gb ram (16 preferable)
    i7 would be nice.
    gtx 860 / 970m

2 of the laptops I've been interesting in are:
    https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/asus-17...g751jm-t7061h/
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...c6167a8f37d645

TLDR;
    Looking at a laptop to buy, not sure though. work and gaming. 1500-2000 budget. GO!
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

Of those 2 laptops:
    the msi has: better gpu(gtx 970m vs gtx 860m), better cpu(i7 4720 vs i7 4710), 2 more usb ports, lighter weight;
    the asus has: 1 ssd, more ram (16gb vs 8gb);
    Both have a 1tb hdd, same screen size,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8605/m...rmance-preview Here's a review of the msi (some specs are somewhat different, namely cpu and gpu[cpu is weaker, gpu is stronger])

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-RO....138710.0.html Here's a review of the asus

Although I like having an ssd, I would go with the msi over those 2. better cpu/gpu at the cost of ram and a ssd.
    But probably someone with a higher knowledge can help you find something better and cheaper.

Deleted
    I'd stay away from gaming looking laptops. It is likely that potential business partners won't take you seriously if you show up with gaming looking laptop(one in weird shape with lights all over place). I know I wouldn't. Then again it depends on your business branch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Of those 2 laptops:
    the msi has: better gpu(gtx 970m vs gtx 860m), better cpu(i7 4720 vs i7 4710), 2 more usb ports, lighter weight;
    the asus has: 1 ssd, more ram (16gb vs 8gb);
    Both have a 1tb hdd, same screen size,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8605/m...rmance-preview Here's a review of the msi (some specs are somewhat different, namely cpu and gpu[cpu is weaker, gpu is stronger])

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-RO....138710.0.html Here's a review of the asus

Although I like having an ssd, I would go with the msi over those 2. better cpu/gpu at the cost of ram and a ssd.
    But probably someone with a higher knowledge can help you find something better and cheaper.
    Yeah i was leaning towards the MSI, I mean the extra 8gb isn't probably going to be needed. Mate of mine has an MSI one too.

I think you've given me the confirmation I needed as far as the choices go! cheers mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    I'd stay away from gaming looking laptops. It is likely that potential business partners won't take you seriously if you show up with gaming looking laptop(one in weird shape with lights all over place). I know I wouldn't. Then again it depends on your business branch.
    Yeah nah, It's basically for staying back at hotels and doing work from there, I'm not presenting anything to anyone.. just organising schedules, incentives for my own team and things like that. nothing too major scale yet! But yeah I do see your point and if that were to happen in the future I'll have to keep this in mind. cheers mate

Deleted
    either buy a msi or dont buy a laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
    Hey all,
    As the title suggests, I'm interesting in getting a laptop.
    Never owned one before; however with my new work, I'll be away from home fairly often.
    Here are some points I should share:
    -Living in Australia
    -Self Employed (thinking a certain amount of this can be claimed back with tax, though unsure)
    -For Gaming / Music recording / Movies and use away from my Desk at home.
    -Spreadsheets etc / general use also...

Through browsing, I've been able to come up with a budget around 1500-2000~ Though I don't mind spending a little more if need be.
    As for specs, I'm looking for something around...
    8gb ram (16 preferable)
    i7 would be nice.
    gtx 860 / 970m

2 of the laptops I've been interesting in are:
    https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/asus-17...g751jm-t7061h/
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...c6167a8f37d645

TLDR;
    Looking at a laptop to buy, not sure though. work and gaming. 1500-2000 budget. GO!
    I'm not going to debate merits between the Asus and the MSI. I will toss in the fact that I have owned an Asus ROG 750JS for about 5 months and it is my desktop replacement.
    Average use involves running WoW or SW:TOR on one screen, while running a VM using resource intensive apps like MS Visual Studio 2013/Release Management. The laptop runs like a champ. Everything is quick. The cooling on the ROG is the best I've seen on a laptop. Keys stay cool to the touch, CPU temp stays nice and reasonable. The downside to this is the size.. even for a 17 inch laptop, it is far larger than most. You need a big, big bag to carry it around. Noise.. when those fans kick on they're a bit noisy. Nothing crazy, and the laptop has pretty good sound, surprisingly, so that covers it without issue. I spent 1300 on mine (was an outgoing model, normally 15-1600,) and have zero regrets. I absolutely love it. Toss in the 1 year of drop protection that is standard from Asus.. sold.

Cheers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by einaschern View Post
    I'm not going to debate merits between the Asus and the MSI. I will toss in the fact that I have owned an Asus ROG 750JS for about 5 months and it is my desktop replacement.
    Average use involves running WoW or SW:TOR on one screen, while running a VM using resource intensive apps like MS Visual Studio 2013/Release Management. The laptop runs like a champ. Everything is quick. The cooling on the ROG is the best I've seen on a laptop. Keys stay cool to the touch, CPU temp stays nice and reasonable. The downside to this is the size.. even for a 17 inch laptop, it is far larger than most. You need a big, big bag to carry it around. Noise.. when those fans kick on they're a bit noisy. Nothing crazy, and the laptop has pretty good sound, surprisingly, so that covers it without issue. I spent 1300 on mine (was an outgoing model, normally 15-1600,) and have zero regrets. I absolutely love it. Toss in the 1 year of drop protection that is standard from Asus.. sold.

Cheers.
    One of my friends have an msi, the other a rog. They both seem to be really good. Between the two up there, which is the better bang for your buck? It seems like thats really the last option as they both seem really good from reviews/your comments.

Have been a big fan of asus, and have yet to try msi anything so far. But ive only heard good things from them so far. It's probably what I'm leaning towards. Thoughts guys?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a laptop completely lose it's proposal when it is ridiculously tick and heavy. The Razer Blade is a perfect example of what a "gaming" laptop should look like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    I think a laptop completely lose it's proposal when it is ridiculously tick and heavy. The Razer Blade is a perfect example of what a "gaming" laptop should look like.
    I understand that the thickness can be a problem, or its weight. Even if it were 10kg it wouldn't bother me. I'm a fairly strong guy lol. A"gaming" laptop should really be defined as a laptop with a dedicated vga for gaming, really. Never have been the biggest razer fan, and to spend 1k over the budget listed, I have no reason to spend all that more on it. Thanks anyway!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
    Never have been the biggest razer fan, and to spend 1k over the budget listed, I have no reason to spend all that more on it. Thanks anyway!
    I wasn't recommending it, just showing my opinion about the form factor =p. I'd stay away from Razer products myself, they tend to be overpriced. Deathadders are great purchases though.

I have an MSI GT72 2pe dominator pro and I love it, boots faster then my desktop, runs all games on it like a champ and even got an illuminated keyboard (which matters to me as I have very bad eyesight)

Yes, you can buy one. laptop is pretty convenient to carry. I have a Toshiba M350 and have used for 5 years. And now it still works well.

Have you looked outside of MSI and Asus? Theres some pretty nice Blade alternatives without the Apple price tag, not sure on their Aussie Dollar price. I know Venom are an Aussie company, theres also Lenovo, and Gigabyte have been doing alright recently.

Gigabyte has the closest to your specs, but they're impossible for me to quickly Google for prices for some reason, so sorry I can't be sure they're in your price range.
    Last edited by Xs; 2015-06-08 at 10:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I have an MSI GT72 2pe dominator pro and I love it, boots faster then my desktop, runs all games on it like a champ and even got an illuminated keyboard (which matters to me as I have very bad eyesight)
    nice nice, yeah i've been looking at the ge72, $200 cheaper and only slight differences that wouldn't mean all too much for me.. the lighting is nice, as ive got bad eyesight as well; however im a touch typer so it isn't that much of a problem :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    Have you looked outside of MSI and Asus? Theres some pretty nice Blade alternatives without the Apple price tag, not sure on their Aussie Dollar price. I know Venom are an Aussie company, theres also Lenovo, and Gigabyte have been doing alright recently.

Gigabyte has the closest to your specs, but they're impossible for me to quickly Google for prices for some reason, so sorry I can't be sure they're in your price range.
    Yeah TBH i've been looking at gigabyte ones this morning, there's one going for 2k the same price as the ge72 i was looking at, with better specs. what's your experience with gigabyte laptops?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.msy.com.au/notebooks/15034-gigabyte-p35k-965-4702s-i7-4720hq-16g-128g2tb-156fhd-ips-dvdrw-w81-64bit-4gb-gtx965m.html

Here is the Gigabyte one i've found,

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1538_1539&products_id=31206&zenid=7af8f48e26b81bb29 dc4f573815a4438

Here is the MSI one i've found.

gigabyte lappy beats it through ram (8gb more), and vga(965m as opposed to 960x); whereas the msi has slightly bigger screen +backlit keys...

Think im leaning towards the Gigabyte, as i'd have to pay for shipping for the msi one; which would end up being the same cost

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys I bought the gigabyte one!!! Cheers all