Internet Gaming Disorder Research and Survey

I really appreciate your help on this.
    Last edited by MSioni; 2015-06-05 at 10:38 PM. Reason: ca

Deleted
    Greetings, how did you find this forum? You playing WoW or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like every other day some doctoral candidate is on here asking people to do a survey so they can prove gaming is a mental illness or something or other.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MSioni View Post
    Hey everyone. I am a long time ex-hardcore vanilla WoW player turned researcher.

My name is Sasha and I am currently a doctoral student. I am conducting a research study to examine if any present relationships exist between internet usage, motivations to play between internet and online gaming usage, and personality characteristics. My doctoral project is entitled, "Characteristics of Internet Gaming Disorder." This study has been approved by my Institutional Review Board.

You are eligible to participate in this study if you are 18 years of age or older, currently reside in the United States of America, and are able to read and write in English. If you agree to participate in the study, you will be asked to answer a series of questions regarding the abovementioned topics. This questionnaire is expected to take approximately forty minutes to complete. If you would like to participate in the study please click this link to begin the survey:

https://alliant.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo...Bkzoj8GRwgy9gh

Holy leading questions, Batman! Anyone want to start a betting pool on this student's chances of passing their defense?

Sorry for checking "no" to everything and filling in the blanks with the lyrics to 99 Luftballoons. There was no way to preview the poorly phrased, leading questions that you spewed redundantly for 8-10 pages otherwise.

Wait, no, I'm not sorry.

Warmest regards,
    A real scientist.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Seems like every other day some doctoral candidate is on here asking people to do a survey so they can prove gaming is a mental illness or something or other.
    Shame we never, ever get to see the data gathered.

I think it's interesting. Just look at the demographics on this forum, there's an incredibly disproportionate amount of people who are either mentally ill and/or LGBT. Would be neat to know how it looks on a larger scale for online gaming.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-06-05 at 09:56 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Shame we never, ever get to see the data gathered.
    It has been a year since the last "doctoral candidate" blew through with a questionnaire full of gamer stereotypes, hasn't it? Right on schedule. It's almost like the data never sees the light of day, though ... as if the surveys are so biased that they're completely unpublishable ... gee, I wonder ...
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Okay I got just passed halfway through. First complaint Graduate Degree as your highest level of degree is putting a doctorate and Masters on the same level. Yeah, that is offensive and not even an equal comparison. Especially comparing say a Juris Doctorate to a Philosophy Masters Or MD to a Masters in Theater. Beyond that it was nice that you took every war on drugs pamphlet you could find and changed Drugs/Alcohol with Gaming. Now if you were researching for a biased media site or in promotion of your business this might be good, but since you are attempting to do real research you should try a shit load harder because that is some high school level questioning and has no place in a real research environment especially coming from someone who is attempting a doctorate. You should be ashamed and your professor or adviser who is over seeing your project should be furious at this glorious waste of time.

Deleted
    I'd encourage people not to respond. This "study" will end up being used as the basis of scaremongering media articles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MSioni View Post
    Hey everyone. I am a long time ex-hardcore vanilla WoW player turned researcher.

My name is Sasha and I am currently a doctoral student. I am conducting a research study to examine if any present relationships exist between internet usage, motivations to play between internet and online gaming usage, and personality characteristics. My doctoral project is entitled, "Characteristics of Internet Gaming Disorder." This study has been approved by my Institutional Review Board.

You are eligible to participate in this study if you are 18 years of age or older, currently reside in the United States of America, and are able to read and write in English. If you agree to participate in the study, you will be asked to answer a series of questions regarding the abovementioned topics. This questionnaire is expected to take approximately forty minutes to complete. If you would like to participate in the study please click this link to begin the survey:

Characteristics of internet gaming disorder....

Kind of a biased and leading title, does not really seam to indicate you are open to looking at evidence and forming conclusions, but rather have a point you want to "prove". What Micky mouse institution are approving this?

wow, just looked at the survey questions.....that got approved?
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2015-06-05 at 10:35 PM.

Too much criticism on the forum? He removed the link before I could take it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Okay I got just passed halfway through. First complaint Graduate Degree as your highest level of degree is putting a doctorate and Masters on the same level. Yeah, that is offensive and not even an equal comparison. Especially comparing say a Juris Doctorate to a Philosophy Masters Or MD to a Masters in Theater. Beyond that it was nice that you took every war on drugs pamphlet you could find and changed Drugs/Alcohol with Gaming. Now if you were researching for a biased media site or in promotion of your business this might be good, but since you are attempting to do real research you should try a shit load harder because that is some high school level questioning and has no place in a real research environment especially coming from someone who is attempting a doctorate. You should be ashamed and your professor or adviser who is over seeing your project should be furious at this glorious waste of time.
    Maybe they don't know, should email California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant International University and find out.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Deleted
    Apparantly you cant fill in the survey when your not from America.
    This survey is racist. Also you take away the chance of compairing Europeans with Americans and the effect gaming has on each population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Half ass lazy science for you. Get an agenda, write your conclusion, then get some internet surveys to prove it. But dont worry no one will look at your data as long as your agenda is good enough.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.