Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The thing I can't get past in SWTOR is that you have to sub in order to have basic functionality but then everything interesting and cool added to the game is in the cash shop. There is an intense cash shop focus in SWTOR so that all the cool new pets, mounts, armors, emotes, character skins and pretty much everything else appears in the cash shop and never in the actual world.

Imagine a WoW where EVERY battle pet, mount, transmog armor and toy was ONLY available through gamble boxes that you buy in the cash shop and you'll have an idea of how SWTOR feels.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thing is, a lot of that cartel market stuff can be purchased on the GTN for in game credits. I have a bunch of cool armor and the like, and it's all from using credits to purchase it. Only cartel coins I've used have been the free ones from subscribing and from referrals.

The end game isn't as good, but who says you have to stay subbed for a full year? Play what you want, then unsub and play something else. Only thing WoW has for it at max level is raiding, and that's not for everyone. At least the trip to max level in SWTOR is far superior.

...when I played it was mostly PvP and PT Pyro which I hear has been nurfed to the ground! I also enjoyed Sorcerer Madness but not sure how that plays now?

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    The thing I can't get past in SWTOR is that you have to sub in order to have basic functionality but then everything interesting and cool added to the game is in the cash shop. There is an intense cash shop focus in SWTOR so that all the cool new pets, mounts, armors, emotes, character skins and pretty much everything else appears in the cash shop and never in the actual world.

Imagine a WoW where EVERY battle pet, mount, transmog armor and toy was ONLY available through gamble boxes that you buy in the cash shop and you'll have an idea of how SWTOR feels.
    I would agree with you except every single thing you mentioned can be bought off the GTN (auction house).

Sure, someone had to put it there but there are "whales" I. Every game has those rich people and you cannot stop from buying everything, have the means to purchase anything and having the best computers.

I'm just happy that in SWTOR, I can benefit a bit from that and still get what I want with in game credits. That makes all the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking about giving SWTOR another shot. The thing is I can't stand the one thing a lot players really love. Companions. I hate them. I just want to run around as a lone Jedi or Sith. I don't want to manage the gear, follow their story, or do content that can only be accomplished with a pocket tank/healer. Is there any chance of the emphasis on companions being lessened? I know I can dismiss them, so no need to explain this to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phood View Post
    I'm thinking about giving SWTOR another shot. The thing is I can't stand the one thing a lot players really love. Companions. I hate them. I just want to run around as a lone Jedi or Sith. I don't want to manage the gear, follow their story, or do content that can only be accomplished with a pocket tank/healer. Is there any chance of the emphasis on companions being lessened? I know I can dismiss them, so no need to explain this to me.
    Honestly, I don't see it happening. Companions are just ingrained into the game and given how the future looks with the new information we just got on the next expansion, companions seem to be very similar to what we have now. That might be adjusted but I doubt to the extent you want.

Good thing is you can do most story content without them but there will be times you will need one at major story points. For SWTOR, I just don't see them downplayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vheissu View Post
    Is Swtor worth coming back to?
    It's fun, the Dev team responds to the player base, it's more social and friendly, and the End Game is good. However the real focus of the game is the story content, which is why you should play each class to max level. 100% worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely recommend for you to come back. I always find myself busy doing something. I think swtor has done something right and made old content some what relevant unlike wow. In WoW as soon as a new patch(with a new raid) hit, most people stop doing the old content.
    I prefer the pvp in swtor than wow(does help they have less classes to balance). I think they need new warzones, real ID and cross server pvp/fps but other than that, I think the game is in a good place atm.
    WoW does raiding better than swtor by a long shot. Some of the star wars operations are fun but just different to wow. If you like seeing what your heals/dps are you can download starparse. It pretty much works like recount but you everyone in the group has to be synced with it.
    Good luck and may the force be with you...

Haha are flying mounts that important? I'm more concerned about the game mechanics, end game, and pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by ztreb185 View Post
    Haha are flying mounts that important? I'm more concerned about the game mechanics, end game, and pvp.
    I played SWToR for about 3 years, the guild I was in was the Method/Midwinter equivalent of the game, and I was top 3 in my class for 2 PvP seaons straight (lol pvp in this game). But still take this with a grain of salt:

Combat: I like it over WoW.

End-game: All the top 5 guilds left the game awhile back (a month ago) because there was no announcements about raids and privately stated that they're not working on any Nightmare (Mythic) or new raids. The new expansion basically stated that they're going to rehash all the old raids to be 60+ and there would be new raids after the story chapters are done (which will be July next year [2016]).

PvP: Ranked PvP has been in a full decline since the 1st season ( torcommunity.com/database/arena-stats ). Some PvP servers are dead in terms of both ranked and regs. While they're trying to increase player participation, their implementations in the next patch are 5 seasons too late. Most top PvP players left.

However, it's focus on the RPG element is great. If you want to play solo with little to no MMO element, then this is the game. Story is great and I look forward to just play the story content since I left.

~Te'fia

Quote Originally Posted by Tefia View Post
    If you want to play solo with little to no MMO element, then this is the game.
    That would kinda be incorrect.

There are a plenty of MMO elements. Pretty much just like most MMO's. Be it social interaction, flash points during leveling at end game as well as ops for gamers to run. Even old ones that offer comms for end game rewards. Keeping that old content worth doing even after you out level it. (even old flash points offer that) So, I cannot agree with you on that.

Now, if you're a hardcore progression gamer, you're right. WOW currently has 2 ops (raids) but that wont be enough for you but I can tell you most gamers cannot complete those ops. Hell, even SM is getting some people. HM is beyond their reach for the larger group of gamers.

Not sure what to say about pvp. Ranked players are down but ranked matches have more than tripled. Makes me wonder of there are still a decent number of pvp players but there not good enough to be ranked. I don't know. PVP is pretty good but its not amazing.

this game doesn't have it all but its got mmo elements.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-06-16 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post

I have literally never bought any yoloswag in the cash shop. You can buy all of it from the Auction House for reasonable prices. Save my coins for global unlocks.

On a side note, you have to sub in wow to get any functionality. Or at least you did when I quit. I understand you can buy gametime with gold now. Whatever. The thing with ToR is that you can totally do the entire story without paying a dime, then go back to your console games. Or you can sub, get 500 cash shop coins, and tons of other bonuses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phood View Post
    At the point I am at in gear on most of my toons I don't ever bring them for dailies, solo etc. I usually just bring a healing companion on my leveling toons. It just makes leveling a bit quicker. But you don't need to micro manage them, or even use them if you are good.
    Last edited by Tanro; 2015-06-16 at 09:24 PM.

I am Shaman - Play Free Online Games
    FML... Shamans suck.

I really liked SWOTOR, but as others have said, don't f2p it. It's a total drag and makes you just dislike the game.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I definitely think so, the stories are amazing, I really like the companions as well (who all have their own stories). Buy one of the 60 days cards for $30 and see how you like it, playing it for free is not really so good. Personally, to me, it's worth the money where WoD isn't right now.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

I gave it a shot and re-installed the game last night and got a sub for 60 days, I don't think the F2P options are enjoyable enough for me. Can't wait to get home and play some

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be able to play SWTOR as F2P. Subscription or I'm not playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziddy View Post
    Oh yeah, it's definitely a WoW clone! I hate how they took all of the in-depth individual class storylines and basically just copied them from WoW... /s
    And they certainly didn't just copy+paste all the class mechanics and just changed the name of abilities! /s
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2015-06-17 at 01:36 PM.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I quit WoW, SWTOR has been my game of choice. Just can't get into anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    And they certainly didn't just copy+paste all the class mechanics and just changed the name of abilities! /s
    Yeah I hate how Sith warrior is just a paladin. And how inquisitor is just warlock. And how agent is just a rogue with guns. Stupid stealhers....

I am Shaman - Play Free Online Games
    FML... Shamans suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
    Yeah I hate how Sith warrior is just a paladin. And how inquisitor is just warlock. And how agent is just a rogue with guns. Stupid stealhers....
    Not sure if serious...

Both SWTOR and World of Warcraft base 100% of the class design from earlier games.

SWTOR - is loosely based on the class design of KOTOR, which used a modified D20 Star Wars game system and the source for class designs.

D20 Star Wars is based on SRD/OGL D&D licences, aka Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition.

World of Warcraft - is loosely based on Diablo 2, which was derived from AD&D, aka Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, aka second edition D&D.

So yes both games have at the core concepts that derive from Dungeons and Dragons.

But it's even crazier than that, any game where you level up a character, is loosely based on core concepts that D&D invented.

This includes every RPG ever made, most Action Adventure games today, even Saints Row (#) and Pokemon(#) are based on this core RPG mechanic.

(#)- insert extra parts to the name.

So SWTOR has classes which are similar to classes found in every fantasy based RPG ever, same with WOW.

I should now point out something, because Sith Warriors are not like Paladins.

Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight is akin to the Fighter Class of D&D
    The Sith Inquisitor/Jedi Consular is similar to either the Thief Class, the Wizard Class, or the War Wizard hybrid class, unless you take the healing spec which like any healer in any game you are basically a priest.

Smugglers/Agents are essentially a Bard class, Buffs, Heals, Stealth, or lots of damage.

For slightly unique game play, the Trooper/Bounty Hunter is a strange mix of Paladin and Ranger.

Conversely, WOW flat out copied the classes from D&D with a few synonyms to mix it up.

Fighter =Warrior, technically Fury is the Barbarian Kit.
    Thief = Rogue
    Anti-Paladin/Necromancer = Death Knight
    Ranger = Hunter & Shaman (enhance melee Ranger)

Cleric = Druid, Shaman(Resto), Monk, & Priest (all kits in the Clerics book, later they became their own classes)
    Wizard = Mage, Shaman(elemental), Priest (shadow) & Warlock

So yah, who copied who?