Thread: [TV] Sense8

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    The Ws have seriously done nothing good since the first Matrix, and this seems to follow suite. Halfway through the pilot, and I'm starting to feel like it's some trans manifesto by Lana, and I'm seriously missing the thread. I'll slog through a couple more but the thing is, I'm amazed the Ws got the Matrix done as amazing as they did, because every movie since they've done has been utter shit, and first impressions of this series as well as reading this thread seem to indicate this series is utter shit as well. I'm honestly done expecting that the Ws can deliver something as cool as the Matrix ever again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The Ws have seriously done nothing good since the first Matrix, and this seems to follow suite. Halfway through the pilot, and I'm starting to feel like it's some trans manifesto by Lana, and I'm seriously missing the thread.
    Tastes differ. I loved the Ws Cloud Atlas - that was an amazing film, one of my favorites ever and perhaps the most ambitious film I've seen. Matrix had a cool premise, but was pretty immature in some respects (e.g. the "loads of guns" resolution). Sense8 is a rather slow burning - I remember feeling a little underwhelmed early on in the pilot. However, I found each scene in which one character is (mentally) transported to the world of another enormously fun and very cool. As for the trans manifesto, I can stand to watch one of those on TV - it's not as if TV is overflowing with them. The trans character is rather understated, if anything, although Lito, the gay Latino actor, is a hoot.

Deleted
    Cloud Atlas was one of the worst movies Tom Hanks has ever done, and that'll definitely never be referenced when Tom Hanks is spoken of. It was all over the place, and as much "artsy fartsy" a movie can get, really. Then again, it managed to be better than Jupiter, which is weird, since Jupiter was, at least, a much more straightforward scifi flick.

Having said that, I know people who listen to jazz and claim it's music, and people who listen to horrible jazz and claim it's great music. So yeah, they eat rotten shark that has been pissed on in Iceland and call that a delicacy. To each their own, I guess.

Matrix was supposed to be "immature", that was it's whole point. So if it ever felt like that, it hit it's mark. The 2nd and 3rd movies took the whole immature shit way too seriously, and kinda failed hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Cloud Atlas was one of the worst movies Tom Hanks has ever done.
    You realize what we got, was not Cloud Atlas. That was WB's Cloud Atlas. Still an alright film, but the version I want to see is the 4 hour version of the film. The 4 hour version GOT the wachowski's the money to do Sense8, after the Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos watched the true version of the film. Literally, an hour or more of the Film was cut by the Studio.

Sigh. I want to see that film. Just like I want to watch Jodorowsky's Dune, a 12 hour adaption of the book.

Sorry, not everything is done by Michael Bay Sydanyo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    That's funny because I think the Matrix is shit. See how tastes can differ?
    Yes. Of course. However, I'm going off of the consensus here. Of course there's always going to be a few individuals who do not recognize greatness. You can't help that. The Matrix is 87% on Rotten, even 67% with top critics, which is high knowing the fact that critics typically don't know what is actually good and what isn't, or do, but have this innate need to be assholes just to get viewers and clicks and shit. It's 8.7/10 on IMDb with over a million votes (which is very high.)

Of course you can try and decide whether a movie is good or not by using some "scientific method" that you personally came about, but in the end, it's much easier just to look at what people think about it, and when most of all critics as well as the vast majority of the audience thinks something is good, it's good, and if you think it isn't, the problem is with you, not with the product. Sorry to say, but that's the truth.

Having said that, I mean, hell, some people like jazz. You'll always find people who dislike the actual good stuff and like some weird fringe shit. Like jazz. It's weird. It's fringe. It's shit.

Either way, this show definitely continued the "meh" -feeling the Ws have instilled in me with their movies. Not that I had expectations, because I didn't even know it was theirs going into it. I'll have to try and slog through more episodes though, and I'll even do so with an open mind. I know pilot woes, I've seen them before. Could be it was just that.

Or, it could be that the Ws just aren't that good at making stuff, and the Matrix (and to some extent, V for Vendetta) were just flukes.

I tried watching the first episode of this show, but couldn't get through it. It just seemed so confusing, and uninteresting, and the powers seamed really lame. I also hated the LGBT crap, they kept forcing onto the viewers.

Deleted
    While I do like the show a lot, the first couple of episodes are not its strongest. Introducing an ensemble of 8 characters in just one episode is no mean feat and the Wachowskis do not quite pull it off. So in that respect, I'd definitely advise anyone to stick it out. If slow burners aren't your thing you will probably never enjoy it.

The LGBT thing - I'm inclined to give the people who dislike this aspect the benefit of the doubt, in that I'm going to assume that they just find the gay aesop a little heavy handed. Because much as I love LGBT representation, I've found certain gay storylines in Television to be tokenistic, heavy handed and moralising too. *Cough*Gameofthrones*cough*. So I can't exactly fault people for that. And of course some people are just plain bigoted but that's their problem. But for me the LGBT aspect is a draw of the show and the characters feel so developed that it never feels forced to me. But whether you're a bigot or just looking for a bit more subtlety, the show's probably not for you. Although most of the LGBT focus is actually on Lito. After the first few episodes Nomi's trans* identity is mostly irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    But for me the LGBT aspect is a draw of the show and the characters feel so developed that it never feels forced to me. But whether you're a bigot or just looking for a bit more subtlety, the show's probably not for you. Although most of the LGBT focus is actually on Lito. After the first few episodes Nomi's trans* identity is mostly irrelevant.
    I think there's a problem too, that the original trailer I saw seemed to be a sci-fi story about folks sharing senses/knowledge and fighting something. The actual show is listed as a LGBT show and stuff, but not sure if anyone looks at that stuff when selecting the show.

So yeah, if you start watching the show from a scifi trailer, you may think "wait, why is this show focused on LGBT? Where's my evil corporation scifi!"

But I mean, if you pay attention to the description categories, see a show listed as "Gay And Lesbian TV Show" and then complain about there being too much focus on LGBT, it's probably your own fault. :-p

(Not you, Protar, but You, the guy clicking.)
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Deleted
    I have no problem with gay or trans characters, if they're done as just great and meaningful characters, and not forced plot devices. Laverne Cox's character Sophia Burset in Orange is the New Black, for example, is an amazing example. However, sometimes shit just feels forced and manufactured. It doesn't feel realistic and natural. That's how the whole trans thing in the pilot of sense8 felt to me. It felt forced and manufactured. Then add on top of that the very chaotic feel of the episode and so on, and that kind of just became the focal point, the only thing that kind of was memorable, but for the absolute wrong reasons.

Deleted
    I don't really see what's forced about it. Nomi and Neets start off at Pride. Okay. People go to pride. Then there's some discrimination from her mother and she's held unwillingly in hospital. But that actually has nothing to do with her gender identity, even though she thinks it does. Past that point, Nomi's gender and sexuality is completely incidental I'd say, outside of her one conversation with Lito about it. I do get though, how in the rushed introductions of the first couple of episodes, how the characters may initially seem a little hollow and tokenistic. However I think that gets better very quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I think there's a problem too, that the original trailer I saw seemed to be a sci-fi story about folks sharing senses/knowledge and fighting something. The actual show is listed as a LGBT show and stuff, but not sure if anyone looks at that stuff when selecting the show.

So yeah, if you start watching the show from a scifi trailer, you may think "wait, why is this show focused on LGBT? Where's my evil corporation scifi!"

But I mean, if you pay attention to the description categories, see a show listed as "Gay And Lesbian TV Show" and then complain about there being too much focus on LGBT, it's probably your own fault. :-p

I would like them to ramp up the sci-fi/conspiracy things more next season. It ties things together more. As it is the show has to spend a lot of time in rather unconnected plots to give each character the development they need.

As for whether it's been labelled right- honestly, this should just be about the default level of representation for LGBTQIA characters. I mean okay, not every TV has to be set partially at gay pride (and of course no TV show has to have anything) but I mean, there's 8 main characters - one is gay, another is trans*. Only one season long subplot is about homosexuality. That shouldn't be a big deal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

I binged this show over the last week.

Unless you make it the focus of your watching, the LGBT stuff is so minor in the grand scope of the show. It's not forced, on the contrary, it feels organic and it actually pushes the story lines to make for some interesting characters, instead of the typical 2d action heroes. I will honestly say that this show has some of the best characters of any current show. Characters you can actually care about.

Bring on S2

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, the show is just shit. All the latte drinking hipster piss in the world doesn´t change that. Doesn´t grasp it, lol.
    Yea, no. Wrong. Just wrong.

Getting closer to season 2 and I'm super hyped.

I finally got around to watching the first season after hearing about it a while back. There's so much going on it's hard to summarize. Overall I think the best summary is its powerful stuff. It has intense violence, beautiful love and sorrow, mystery, abject poverty and apathy, etc. Some of the segments are more miss than hit but overall I felt it was a wonderful experience.

The story of the guy in Nairobi, the Korean lady, the Indian lady, the Mexican actor guy and the American cop were first-rate stories. The German guy was decent. I felt the Icelandic woman and the Hactivist American woman were lacking. I think the Mexican guy's story was my favorite. The overall combined story comes together more towards the end and it leaves me interested for a second season which is coming out in a few months.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It was so good you couldn't remember a single character's name...
    I never remember names :P
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I dig it. The action scenes are super well done and the writing is interesting. I dislike Nomi's character. It's such a forced "look at me Im such a leet hacker geek and Im trans omg it's so hard for me but look at me im so cool" type of deal. To me anyway. Lito is one of my favorites though.

I do think that season 2 wasnt in need of another orgy scene. It seems theyre just doing it for the shock value and the thirsty viewers to rave about it on social media. I mean, the first one was understandable since theyre all linked or whatever.... but ANOTHER one in season 2 seemed like they were just beating a dead horse. The scene was way too long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    I do think that season 2 wasnt in need of another orgy scene.
    Whatever you are smoking: Season 2 aint out yet (that is to come in may)

I dig it. The action scenes are super well done and the writing is interesting. I dislike Nomi's character. It's such a forced "look at me Im such a leet hacker geek and Im trans omg it's so hard for me but look at me im so cool" type of deal. To me anyway. Lito is one of my favorites though.

I do think that season 2 wasnt in need of another orgy scene. It seems theyre just doing it for the shock value and the thirsty viewers to rave about it on social media. I mean, the first one was understandable since theyre all linked or whatever.... but ANOTHER one in season 2 seemed like they were just beating a dead horse. The scene was way too long.
    Yeah Nomi wasn't done very well. She had a decent setup. Yeah I'm sure she went through some bad shit, but she came off as kind of whiny and uninteresting. On the other hand, Lito the actor had being a coward as part of his character and it came off really well. He was so good. Maybe its just the better actor but the way it was addressed and his character growth was really well done. It was also interesting how him being a liar was used as a strength.

With regards to the action, the story made a lot of neat things possible that made over the top action believable. Like some bus driver in Nairobi kicking the shit out of African gangsters with martial arts. Damn that was cool. Also having an actor's story as part of the group they were able to juxtapose over-the-top movie action with more believable action. I'm sure they must have had a ton of fun making the Mexican gun fight scenes. They were really entertaining to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Whatever you are smoking: Season 2 aint out yet (that is to come in may)
    Yeah I was being super dumb. I was referring to the christmas episode. My bad.

Yeah I was being super dumb. I was referring to the christmas episode. My bad.
    To be fair on Netflix that is listed as Season 2. : P

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    To be fair on Netflix that is listed as Season 2. : P
    I knew I wasn't completely crazy XD