Lightbulb Want to revert back to the old drag-and-drop Blizzard UI raid frames?

Do you guys remember back when you were able to pull out raid frames from the Raid tab? The steps to do this were:

1) Open up your friends list, or type 'O'
    2) Click on the 'Raid' tab
    3) Click on any Group number and drag it onto your screen

This is how they looked:

Upon lots and lots of research, I have finally figured out how use these raid frames yet again. In fact, I have seen over a dozen threads of frustrated people, just like me, trying to figure out how to do this, ever since Blizz incorporated the new Raid UI (which I despise). To those of you, say no more!

Instructions:

1) Copy and paste this script in chat:
    /script RaidPullout_GeneratePulloutFrame(1);
    2) Your Group 1 frame should now be visible. To make other group frames visible, just replace the number '1' within the script to the group number you would like to make visible.

3) Rinse and repeat.

4) Enjoy!

Update:

Thanks to mmo-champ user meribold, we now have an addon for those of you that rather pull out the frames straight out of the raid tab (like in the good ol' days), rather than typing out the script. I have already tested the addon and it works great! Here is the link:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/oldraidframes
    Last edited by Suyakang; 2015-06-15 at 06:26 PM.

Since most of the code to create those frames is still there, it should be possible to write an AddOn that re-enables dragging group labels or player names to get the old raid frames. I think I'll look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by meribold View Post
    Since most of the code to create those frames is still there, it should be possible to write an AddOn that re-enables dragging group labels or player names to get the old raid frames. I think I'll look into this.
    That would be great if you can make that happen. Beats having to copy paste the script whenever you close one by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Suyakang View Post
    That would be great if you can make that happen. Beats having to copy paste the script whenever you close one by mistake.
    Check wow.curseforge.com/addons/oldraidframes in a few hours (I also can't post links or images).

According to Wowpedia one could also somehow get a group with raid frames for all players of a particular class. I don't recall how that worked and my AddOn doesn't support that yet.
    Last edited by meribold; 2015-06-09 at 04:21 AM.

Check wow.curseforge.com/addons/oldraidframes in a few hours (I also can't post links or images).
    /thumbsup

According to Wowpedia one could also somehow get a group with raid frames for all players of a particular class. I don't recall how that worked and my AddOn doesn't support that yet.
    Hmm... I do seem to have a faint memory of that capability, but that's all it is. I dont see how having players of the same class in a group can be useful either way, so don't worry about it too much.

Oh, I guess you can actually download it here: curse.com/addons/wow/oldraidframes

I thought uploads tagged as Beta don't show up on Curse.

This is sort of what irks me about Blizz's habit of making "improvements" that fail to retain the functionality of what they're replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Abajaba View Post
    This is sort of what irks me about Blizz's habit of making "improvements" that fail to retain the functionality of what they're replacing.
    I'm honestly surprised nobody made an AddOn to get that functionality back yet. Maybe I just didn't find it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm... I do seem to have a faint memory of that capability, but that's all it is. I dont see how having players of the same class in a group can be useful either way, so don't worry about it too much.
    Apparently, at some point, there used to be class buttons to the right of the Raid List that showed how many members of that class your group has (also "Main Tank" and "Main Assist" buttons). Dragging those would create a group with raid frames for everyone of that class. I think these buttons might have been hidden somewhere around patch 4.1.0 (maybe build 13812). I'm not sure if they existed in Vanilla or were added later.

Unfortunately I'm still not allowed to post images.

I'm honestly surprised nobody made an AddOn to get that functionality back yet. Maybe I just didn't find it.
    I'm pretty sure no one made an addon because I read a TON of threads where people were clueless as to how to make the frames visible. In all the responses, people would say that the capability was gone. I knew it couldn't be fully gone because I had my frames from the WotLK days and I mistakenly closed out two of the groups recently. Eventually, I found out what the script for it was.

Apparently, at some point, there used to be class buttons to the right of the Raid List that showed how many members of that class your group has (also "Main Tank" and "Main Assist" buttons). Dragging those would create a group with raid frames for everyone of that class. I think these buttons might have been hidden somewhere around patch 4.1.0 (maybe build 13812). I'm not sure if they existed in Vanilla or were added later.

Unfortunately I'm still not allowed to post images.
    It was definitely after WotLK. I was on hiatus during Cata and MoP. When I started playing again during WoD, my frames were still there. I didn't even know this capability was gone until recently when I closed them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Abajaba View Post
    The only reason they removed it was because they wanted people to only use their new and unimproved Raid frame UI. Not sure if I've made enough emphasis on how bad the new raid frames are...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I guess you can actually download it here: curse.com/addons/wow/oldraidframes
    I actually just downloaded and tested it. It works like a charm. Thank you so much for this!

The only reason they removed it was because they wanted people to only use their new and unimproved Raid frame UI. Not sure if I've made enough emphasis on how bad the new raid frames are...
    What's wrong with the new raid frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Antilurker77 View Post
    What's wrong with the new raid frames?
    For starters, all the groups are piled together, so if you're in a 40 man raid, the raid frames take a whole side of your screen. The old ones are divided into groups, so you can put half the groups on one side of your screen and the other half on the other. Secondly, they are WAY too big. Not only are the old ones smaller, but you can also make a portion of the frame invisible for better visibility. Third, you can't hide the stupid arrow that comes out of the side of the screen. Unless there is an addon that I have not heard about that hides that, its really annoying. I am a neat-freak when it comes to my UI and that dumb arrow makes me go all OCD.

I actually just downloaded and tested it. It works like a charm. Thank you so much for this!
    It should mostly manage to make things work like they used to. The main limitation is that it won't let you drag out (create) new raid frames while in combat; allowing this was causing all kinds of tainting issues.

I also re-enabled the class, "Main Tanks" and "Main Assists" buttons that were to right of the Social Frame when having the Raid Tab selected. Dragging these should also work as expected.
    Last edited by meribold; 2015-06-10 at 05:43 AM.

It should mostly manage to make things work like they used to. The main limitation is that it won't let you drag out (create) new raid frames while in combat; allowing this was causing all kinds of tainting issues.
    Nobody should be adjusting their raid frames in combat either way lol.

I also re-enabled the class, "Main Tanks" and "Main Assists" buttons that were to right of the Social Frame when having the Raid Tab selected. Dragging these should also work as expected.
    Thanks for this. A simple yet very useful addon.

Quote Originally Posted by computershop View Post
    very good idea
    Thank you! Be sure to check out meribold's addon, it works great:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/oldraidframes