Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it worth to upgrade win 8 to 8.1...

If you think yes, plz write why...xD
    If you think no, plz write why...xD

thx and cheers...XD!!!

p.s. I got orig. win 8.1 for free so not sure is it worth to use it over win 8...

Deleted
    You got me confused. If you have Win 8 you could already upgrade it to Win 8.1 for free months ago.

And you should realy do it, you get:
    * Boot to desktop
    * A shutdown button in the start screen
    * More desktop apps instead of modern apps when you open stuff from desktop mode
    * Titlebars with close button in modern apps

Admittedly all minor convenience updates, but considering there are no drawsbacks...go upgrade. But use the windows store and save your 8.1 disk for a new pc :-)

Deleted
    Upgrade, there is literally no reason not to.

Yes. Then put your self in line for the free update to Windows 10 when you get a notification at the Task bar.

Windows 8.1 is basically Windows 8 service pack 1 and is free update. Why they named it 8.1 instead of SP1 is total mystery.

Doesn't really matter, seeing as you will be able to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it releases July 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Doesn't really matter, seeing as you will be able to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it releases July 29th.
    You need to have 8.1 Update installed to get the free upgrade.

**Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq under "What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aybar View Post
    You got me confused. If you have Win 8 you could already upgrade it to Win 8.1 for free months ago.

And you should realy do it, you get:
    * Boot to desktop
    * A shutdown button in the start screen
    * More desktop apps instead of modern apps when you open stuff from desktop mode
    * Titlebars with close button in modern apps

Admittedly all minor convenience updates, but considering there are no drawsbacks...go upgrade. But use the windows store and save your 8.1 disk for a new pc :-)
    Well the thing is old win 8 are...well...erhm...you know already what I mean ,while new win 8.1 is legal copy...

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You need to have 8.1 Update installed to get the free upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq under "What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?"
    Yeah. I forgot about that. Guess OP better upgrade to 8.1 then.

no because you are getting 10 for free

Quote Originally Posted by mhdoe View Post
    no because you are getting 10 for free
    You need 8.1 to get 10 for free.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    why not just wait for windows 10 for free?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    He cannot get 10 for free.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Windows 10 is free to windows 7.1 and windows 8.1 users. Download available July 29.

10+ Year Old Account
    8 to 8.1 should be a no-brainer... And, you'll need 8.1 to upgrade to 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    As he said, he can't get 8.1.

If it were me, I'd get 8.1 off G2A for $40
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    As he said, he can't get 8.1.

If it were me, I'd get 8.1 off G2A for $40
    He already said

Quote Originally Posted by Darchi View Post
    p.s. I got orig. win 8.1 for free so not sure is it worth to use it over win 8...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, okay, yeah. That was confusing.

Yeah, just reinstall with 8.1. Ditch the shady copy. Be done with it.

I think there's no different between Win 8 and Win 8.1. So there's no need to upgrade it if you get used to use win 8

Quote Originally Posted by Owen000 View Post
    I think there's no different between Win 8 and Win 8.1. So there's no need to upgrade it if you get used to use win 8
    What? lol

There are a lot of differences in the 2.

The biggest changes are:

*You can boot directly into Desktop mode instead of the tile-based app user interface
    *The long-lost Start button is back
    *You can snap more apps side-by-side for better multitasking
    *There's also better cross-system search, along with search that ties into cloud-based SkyDrive storage
    *8.1 now allows users to set default apps for things like the Web browser, e-mail client, music player, video player, photo viewer, calendar provider, and map address.