Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should be made clear that he CANNOT upgrade to Windows 10 on his current Win 8 installation.

Outside of the fact that Win 8.1 is better, it will allow an upgrade path.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

In terms of purely looking at 8 vs 8.1 (not counting the win 10 upgrade path), it is essentially the same thing with some minor UI tweaks to make things a bit more user friendly. There is literally no reason to not upgrade, it is like getting a service pack for any previous versions of windows, it is also usually just a good idea to keep your system up to date as they usually drop support earlier on previous major release version of the OS (ie windows 7 SP0 was not supported as long as SP1). Even though they still support the previous service pack for quite some time I have always felt rather silly to complain about a security flaw or bug in a previous service pack that isn't present in the newer version.

why wouldn't you lol ??

Windows 8.1 is free upgrade for all Windows 8 users. It's kinda like service pack 1 for the OS but comes as full 3GB DVD image instead of small web download so there's no reason not to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    1) ClassicShell allowed that WAY back to Windows 8 beta.
    2) This so-called start button and menu in 8.1 is, no joke, worse than the start menu in Windows 95. ClassicShell gave us the Windows 7 equivalent back.
    ClassicShell is buggy piece of shit. Was glad to get rid of it with 8.1. Crashed desktop about every 10th boot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Windows 8.1 is free upgrade for all Windows 8 users. It's kinda like service pack 1 for the OS but comes as full 3GB DVD image instead of small web download so there's no reason not to get it.

ClassicShell is buggy piece of shit. Was glad to get rid of it with 8.1. Crashed desktop about every 10th boot.
    I've ran it since launch, I remember maybe 1-2 crashes. I think it's possible you need to check your system for other flaws.

Anyways impressive this topic has made it to 2+ page considering how simple the question and answer was

It is worth to downgrade to Win 7 and forget that Win 8 was ever released

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    It is worth to downgrade to Win 7 and forget that Win 8 was ever released
    Besides being an obviously troll, no of course not. Windows 8 is probably their best one yet. However let's not go on another 8.1 pages about that

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because if doesn't cost you anything.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is just single anecdotal... I've installed it on... a good 40-50 systems, 10 of which I use on an off, and have never had a single issue with it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

@op Use 8.1 without a doubt and use the free upgrade to 10 if you dont like it

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Sure, it brought a lot to stock, but I don't know very many people that left it at stock.

Never used 8 only 8.1. I checked a few boxes uncheck some others and done. Never felt a need to install ClassicShell but I can see how other do to each their own.

People just like to complain and be over dramatic because its "Micro$oft" I've even seen a comment in this forum the last few day complaining about how they are giving 10 upgrades away for free lol. Doesnt matter what Microsoft does somebody is going to cry murder.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I think this is just single anecdotal... I've installed it on... a good 40-50 systems, 10 of which I use on an off, and have never had a single issue with it.
    Even if it happens for 1/50 or 1/100 users, it's all positive and nothing negative in the 8.1 upgrade that obsoletes classic shell and other similar programs. Less complications and custom tools touching the desktop engine is always good thing for speed and stability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it happens for 1/50 or 1/100 users, it's all positive and nothing negative in the 8.1 upgrade that obsoletes classic shell and other similar programs. Less complications and custom tools touching the desktop engine is always good thing for speed and stability.
    I must be using 8.1 wrong, because the 'start menu' for 8.1 is just a control panel, really. Its ridiculously unintuitive, and more confusing than tiles. I install ClassicShell over 8.1 Start button.

Deleted
    However, your anecdotal evidence doesn't make ClassicShell is buggy piece of shit. as you claim. I still use it and prefer having it over stock 8.1, no stability issues, no noticeable speed degradation. Either way OP is already using Window 8 so he either fine with stock or he is already using a start menu replacement and upgrading to 81 won't change anything.

Deleted
    This questions literaly so dumb, that it smells of a troll.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I must be using 8.1 wrong, because the 'start menu' for 8.1 is just a control panel, really. Its ridiculously unintuitive, and more confusing than tiles. I install ClassicShell over 8.1 Start button.
    I use Start Menu 8 from IOBit. It's free, has no nags to upgrade to a 'pro' version, and looks pretty much identical to Windows 7 start menu (assuming you choose that option after install). I didn't like ClassicShell, don't remember why at this point.