Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Non-phone Android "phone" for development?

Anyone know of a good, low cost android device for development use? Looking for the equivalent of a phone, minus the phone part. So the Android version of an iPod touch.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    What about a prepaid phone with no service attached to it?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What about a prepaid phone with no service attached to it?
    Still paying for the phone components, so I'd be looking at around 600$ for an off contract phone with current OS support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I think there is a program called BlueStacks that is an android emulator for your PC.
    Well the Android dev kit includes an emulator. But I need to test code outside of emulation since it will be dependent on the accelerometer.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I use my Kindle tablet to test on android devices.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, you're making apps right? May I ask which software you're using?

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you might be interested in something like this, but sincerely, getting a cheap phone like a Moto E/G or a Oneplus One would be easier...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Still paying for the phone components, so I'd be looking at around 600$ for an off contract phone with current OS support..
    You can get a non-contract phone with Android 4.4 for $10 >.> Thats why I was asking if a non-service phone is an option
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I use my Kindle tablet to test on android devices.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, you're making apps right? May I ask which software you're using?
    Kindle Fire accelerometer is a bit jinky, and I'd need a phone form factor to play with Google Cardboard.

As for which software... just the Android Studio on OS X. Working on porting some apps from iOS.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Still paying for the phone components, so I'd be looking at around 600$ for an off contract phone with current OS support.
    ...or you could get a 64GB OnePlus One for 300$ (16GB is 249$). About as current as it gets and new ones should ship with CM12S as stock.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2015-06-08 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ...or you could get a 64GB OnePlus One for 300$ (16GB is 249$). About as current as it gets and new ones should ship with CM12S as stock.
    Yea, not a bad option I guess...

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you need root access?

Deleted
    Either a tablet or get a OnePlus One, kick ass specs & cheap off contract, infact the new prices come in from today. https://oneplus.net/

Be caureful with bluestacks it fills you account full of rubbish.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess what I really want is something like the Samsung Galaxy Player, but they went and discontinued those...

-Kujako-

If youre looking for phone-sized form factor, a used phone or a OnePlus is your best bet. If you can go tablet sized, the last model of the Nexus 7 is affordable and powerful. Really, its hard to beat that 249$ OnePlus. Its got high end specs and is easy to modify (Took me all of five minutes to unlock e bootloader and Flash CM12 Nightlies.

If it is only for development, I suggest the Moto G. Possibly Xiaomi Redmi.
    Or get a cheapo tablet.

Oneplus one is overpriced, especially for your purposes.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2015-06-08 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I think there is a program called BlueStacks that is an android emulator for your PC.
    Eclipse has the development software and an Android emulator and it is free. I used Eclipse for my Final project in college.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best value Android phone right now is the Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML. They have a 32GB version for $200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrOL2ZqEE0

10+ Year Old Account
    Notably, I believe Moto G is on sale at Best Buy for $25 with a $25 gift cert afterwards

15+ Year Old Account
    For a cheap good quality phone with all the bells and whistles JUST for developing I would see if you can find the Moto G 4G edition, the 4,5" version, not the 5" one.

And whilst I wholly disagree with TetrisGOAT... the OnePlus One is not overpriced... but it is if it's only for this occasion (just pestering TetrisGOAT here!)

I suggest staying away from the ZenFone 2 though for development as they use Intel SoC.. which means no ROMs and specific apps etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Notably, I believe Moto G is on sale at Best Buy for $25 with a $25 gift cert afterwards
    I would assume that was with a service contract given the retail cost of the phone.

-Kujako-