Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You said continent and that´s what got him and he doesn´t understand that with continent you didn´t actually mean the european tectonic plate.
    Ohh god not this again I watched a video about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of patriotism being defined by which tectonic plate you happen to be standing on though - nevermind which you were born on, or which your ethnic group hails from - whatever tectonic plate you are on, that's the one to which you now swear fealty people!
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe
    Apparently, you think non-continental Europeans don't have the right to feel proud of European accomplishments. Sucks to be British, Irish, Faroese, Icelandish, etc.
    Nowhere I said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    When I say I'm a proud European I don't say so because I'm proud of our tectonic plates.
    British have traditionally identified themselves as British instead of Europeans (who are the people across the pond). Also, Nordic people have traditionally identified as Nordic instead of European.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You said continent and that´s what got him and he doesn´t understand that with continent you didn´t actually mean the european tectonic plate.
    Thanks for your insightful input.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Also, Nordic people have traditionally identified as Nordic instead of European.
    The two are not mutually exclusive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Sounds fun.

Maybe this will kickstart US space interest (probably not), would be nice to see NASA get more funding and do cool stuff.
    No terrorists on the moon to bomb.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    The two are not mutually exclusive.
    They used to be, being two different things after all.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I like the idea of patriotism being defined by which tectonic plate you happen to be standing on though - nevermind which you were born on, or which your ethnic group hails from - whatever tectonic plate you are on, that's the one to which you now swear fealty people!
    My family is patriotically drifting away from my adopted motherplate :S.
    Anyhow, we don't get to annex the moon as a state of our glorious plate?

Deleted
    Nowhere I said that.
    No, just implying it.

British have traditionally identified themselves as British instead of Europeans (who are the people across the pond). Also, Nordic people have traditionally identified as Nordic instead of European.
    So do the French, Germans, Hungarians, nationality comes before everything else. That doesn't mean they're exclusive or that every british person has to feel the same.

Thanks for your insightful input.
    Now you're just being snappy. Lets not forget that you derailed the thread with "European cherrypicking".

15+ Year Old Account
    No, just implying it.
    nope!
    So do the French, Germans, Hungarians, nationality comes before everything else. That doesn't mean they're exclusive or that every british person has to feel the same.
    They used to be exclusive.
    Now you're just being snappy. Lets not forget that you derailed the thread with "European cherrypicking".
    Yes I derailed, but I wasn't putting words in others' mouth, though.

America is currently on Mars while Europe is talking about a future project to the moon. Stuff like this makes me proud to be an American.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Basically by living underground. The plan appears to be to use inflatable habitats, and cover them over with a thick layer of lunar regolith put in place using 3D printing techniques.

A few feet of what is basically moon cement will provide significant protection against radiation and objects falling from the sky.
    No amount of 3D printed objects or a few feet of lunar soil is going to protect against lunar impacts. They also don't fall from the sky, the moon has no "sky". They are hurled through space anywhere from 80,000 miles per hour and up, way way up. A 10 inch rock traveling at 80,000 miles per hour did as much damage as 8,000 pounds of TNT: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...lunarsporadic/

Imagine a 2 foot wide rock traveling at 500,000 miles per hour. That's nuclear levels of destruction. Nobody would survive that, and the moon has had countless types of such impacts over its lifetime.

Odds are, if an actual moon base comes to be (it probably won't, because it's a stupid idea), people will die, repeatedly.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Odds are, if an actual moon base comes to be (it probably won't, because it's a stupid idea), people will die, repeatedly.
    The whole thing should be built underground.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    What are the odds for an individual site being hit?

Deleted
    nope!
    Really? Cause it sure came off that way.

They used to be exclusive.
    They never were exclusive, just that the people with that kind of mindset were the majority at that time. And it's not surprising considering the history of European relations in the last few centuries.

Yes I derailed, but I wasn't putting words in others' mouth, though.
    I didn't put words in other people's mouths either. But if someone from Iceland considers himself european then who are you to stop them? Them identifying as such would not be incorrect from either a geographical or ethnic point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    America is currently on Mars while Europe is talking about a future project to the moon. Stuff like this makes me proud to be an American.
    Yeah but are you geographically a real American.

On topic, this can be a great if they pull it off.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really?
    Yes.

I didn't put words in other people's mouths either.
    .....I never said you did?

But if someone from Iceland considers himself european then who are you to stop them?
    idk, voice of reason perhaps?

Them identifying as such would not be incorrect from either a geographical or ethnic point of view.
    But culturally, it would be incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    What are the odds for an individual site being hit?
    Higher than you think. On Earth, most are destroyed by our atmosphere. The Moon does not have that layer of protection. Think about the various yearly meteor showers we have here on Earth. What you are seeing is those particles burning up in our atmosphere. Now imagine the same thing happening on the moon. Meteorites with diameters of about 1 mm strike the Earth's atmosphere about once every 30 seconds. to give you an idea.

Sounds amazing, and I hope it comes to pass. What worries me is the gravitational pull of the moon putting the lunar base in danger of asteroid impact. The ISS hadn't that much of a problem.
    How could the lunar station possibly deal with a large asteroid coming close at high speed? My thought it, they could only pray and hope I'm wrong on the existence of god.

They used to be, being two different things after all.
    Definitely never were mutually exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

But culturally, it would be incorrect.
    No, why would it be incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Part of me suddenly wanted to join the ESA.

Then I realised, terrible ping from the Moon.

Damn those Moon terrorists.
    The Nazis are on the dark side of the moon, does that count?