Thread: WoW or FFXIV

Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I used to really like WoW and I think it could be equal or better than FF14 but it is constantly shooting itself in the foot at the moment. I think without a doubt FF14 is currently better in terms of a mmorpg, developer effort, and value for money.

That's most likely all you're going to hear in this forum though since it's the FF14 forum. Just download the free trial and see yourself, it's not for everyone.

The best thing about FFXIV is the community. It was a bit of a culture shock when I made the jump from WoW.

Honestly, the community in FF XIV alone is reason enough to dump WoW.

As noted by numerous posts already, the game has a 14 day trial, free of charge. Only major limitation is being capped at level 20 (for perspective, I managed to ding 50 in two weeks of play). There's a plethora of stuff for new players to do (I won't pretend to speak on behalf of veterans of the game).

As someone who has played WoW since EU Beta and has recently moved to FFXIV (about 3 months ago) I can honestly say FFXIV > WoW by a long long long margin.

-The community isn't full of trolls/negative a**holes
    -The content gets frequent and better updates than WoW does
    -The PvE is much more fun
    -The class system is better than WoW's (You only ever need to make 1 character as 1 character can be ALL classes)
    Last edited by Turaska; 2015-06-09 at 07:57 PM.

Personally, the issues with FFXIV were too big for me. I don't play WoW either though.

FFXIV has a 2.5 sec GCD, and everything has a 0.5 sec delay (lag) which is very annoying. It's unresponsive because of that, but everything else about the game seems fine. You just have to fix the UI a little when you start, as it looks fucking horrible with all the useless information (targeting arrows, huge target circles etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Personally, the issues with FFXIV were too big for me. I don't play WoW either though.

FFXIV has a 2.5 sec GCD, and everything has a 0.5 sec delay (lag) which is very annoying. It's unresponsive because of that, but everything else about the game seems fine. You just have to fix the UI a little when you start, as it looks fucking horrible with all the useless information (targeting arrows, huge target circles etc).
    what are you playing on that you have a .5 second lag on everything? a potato or a toaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Stayfrostee View Post
    what are you playing on that you have a .5 second lag on everything? a potato or a toaster?
    Yes, because my computer has anything to do with that.

If anything it may have been that I chose a server that was out of range, though that'd be odd as I chose on that said it was for EU.

My girlfriend and I tried really hard to get into FFXIV but just could not do it. As players who are primarily interested in competitive raiding as healers the lack of add-ons was just a huge turn off. This is the same reason we stopped raiding in SW:TOR. It just became too frustrating not to be able to build your own proper healing UI after almost a decade of having this in WoW. The lack of a combat log also prevents any sort of real analysis/theorycraft from occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by elmoe420 View Post
    My girlfriend and I tried really hard to get into FFXIV but just could not do it. As players who are primarily interested in competitive raiding as healers the lack of add-ons was just a huge turn off. This is the same reason we stopped raiding in SW:TOR. It just became too frustrating not to be able to build your own proper healing UI after almost a decade of having this in WoW. The lack of a combat log also prevents any sort of real analysis/theorycraft from occurring.
    The raiding in FFXIV is built around not needing addons (which quite honestly is a refreshing change, letting addons play the game for you has always been a terrible game design) the reason for this is because you're also playing with Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 users on the same servers.

Quote Originally Posted by elmoe420 View Post
    I feel you, but at the end of the day, the content was enough to keep me going on, i just adapted to the new UI system.

I think someone mentioned before, the lack of theorycrafting etc. helps keep the elitism down. None of that "omg you're not doing the rotation right noob l2dps", besides, the skills are pretty straightforward, press this then this, then this, then this when it pops.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you want to get out of your MMO experience.

WoW has the best hardcore raiding experience you will ever find in any MMO. Mythic raiding and mythic encounters are just beyond sublime. However, besides raiding, WoW has absolutely nothing else. Nowadays, most people just log onto raid and log right off after raid. There's absolutely nothing to do besides raiding in WoW. Wow has essentially become a lobby game - stay in your garrison, do missions, run raids, repeat. Log on alts, do garrison missions, log off. ad infinitum.... People in some WoW thread were complaining about "no flying mounts in WoD". My opinion - you don't even need a ground mount currently in WoD. All I do is stay in Garrison till raid, fly to raid, finish raid and hearth back to garrison and log off.

FFXIV is a very polished game. It is more of an MMO than WoW will ever be. When you do FATEs and other stuff, you actually feel that you belong to an MMO and you are part of a community. People genuinely help you. They won't hesitate to run all the way across the map in a zone to throw you a raise if you call for the location you died on in general chat, even if they don't know you at all. The animations and graphics are superb. Armor feels like they were designed by people who actually designs clothes and not painted cardboard boxes that I used to use for our super hero costume parties during childhood.

FFXIV can get a bit grindy at times. But is the general nature of FF games. Weirdly enough, I actually enjoy the grind. It is very soothing and relaxing to get into a rhythm of shooting arrows and moving from mob to mob systematically as a Bard.

Unless you have tons of friends playing WoW you want to play with, go ff14. As a 10 year WoW vet, have my statue to prove it, FF14 is in a MUCH better state right now than WoW has been in the past few years. FF14 is releasing a new expansion in 10 days and will bring with it an influx of new players to play with.

I'm playing both these days, I'd say I like ffxiv community, damn, I'm so surprised that people still can nicely communicate in PUGs, w/o occasionally having sexual intercourse with someone's mom. I also like class/job/whatever-you-call-it system, FATEs and level scaling, cuz I'm not a fan of having many chars. On the other hand, FFXIV gameplay is a bit dull/redundant, but manageable, and I'd kill their UX/UI designers, like seriously, wtf?

Anyway, give it a try :3

P.S. Miqo'tes are damn cute ^____^
    Last edited by ls-; 2015-06-09 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    P.S. Miqo'tes are damn cute ^____^
    Around 50% are Miqo's, another 30% Lalas. Rest 20% other races. Wondering how the Au Ra will fit into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    LOL trust me, SE is learning, the current Account Management and Mog Station, is already DECENT. You really should look into the horror that is PlayOnline which is a system they used for FFXI....

I have the PlayOnline theme playing in the back of my head again.....
    Take the WoW launcher, make it about 100x slower. Make it only runnable in full screen (not windowed fullscreen. full. screen.) then make it take about 5-7 clicks to actually get the game to launch.

PlayOnline is the fucking devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Around 50% are Miqo's, another 30% Lalas. Rest 20% other races. Wondering how the Au Ra will fit into this.
    My first char was Elezen fem, but head to body proportions were slowly killing me, by the time I reached 20lvl, I decided to reroll Miqo'te :3

15+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV is sooo slow paced. Almost like turn based. Global cooldowns are just way too high for my liking. And it's just so made for consoles. Can't even double click to equip or sell things and my extra mouse buttons aren't recognized either. And the main questline forces you to pug dungeons.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    FFXIV is sooo slow paced. Almost like turn based. Global cooldowns are just way too high for my liking. And it's just so made for consoles. Can't even double click to equip or sell things and my extra mouse buttons aren't recognized either. And the main questline forces you to pug dungeons.
    You can double click to sell things. And all of my mouse buttons work with my Razer Naga.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    You can double click to sell things. And all of my mouse buttons work with my Razer Naga.
    Isn't that amazing. I mean, considering all Razer Naga does is use keyboard keys, it'd be pretty amazing if FFXIV made it NOT work.