Stress test questions

Ok so now I have the computer built.
    i5-4790k with a be quiet! Shadow rock cooler

I have seen acouple programs. LinX, AIDA64, Prime95.
    How long would you typically run a stress test 2,6,12 hours?

And can you do other things while you test, like play a game or
    Surf the web, or do you need to run the test then monitor it and let that be the only task?

Thanks

Deleted
    Use Aida64. The "standard" is 8hours without a crash. Tho i havent done it since my 2500k i run the later for 4-5hours. Had a crash about 3-4months later, gave it a 0.05v increase and all good. And no, when you stress test you leave it at it and do nothing, so if you think you got a stable clock let it do it just before you go to sleep or before you leave for school/work in the morning. Thats what most ppl do.

Is it necessary for new built pcs?

Illidari, I am no expert but I would say yes to insure all pieces are working properly and stable before I even think about overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by IllidariCouncil View Post
    Is it necessary for new built pcs?
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you're overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktok View Post
    Illidari, I am no expert but I would say yes to insure all pieces are working properly and stable before I even think about overclocking
    If you are just doing it at stock settings really not necessary but if you really want to I wouldnt go more than an hour of AIDA64. A better option imho is just use the computer for a day or two doing whatever its intended purpose is ie gaming, rendering, and etc before applying your oc if you are worried about faulty components.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    And no, when you stress test you leave it at it and do nothing
    Why should you let it do nothing? If the system is unstable then you want it to fail so that errors show up.

Doing some multi-tasking during periods of the stress test will give the machine more of a chance to show up those errors now instead of later. That's the whole point of a stress test.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2015-06-11 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Should i run my new car at maximum engine and road speed for hours to make sure its ok too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Should i run my new car at maximum engine and road speed for hours to make sure its ok too?
    And while you at it find a bumpy road to test suspension at the same time too