Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why offer a seat to a young woman? She should stand so she can work out her leg muscles and keep her lower portions shapely.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    women arent special so no, i dont offer my seat to them.

pregnant women, elderly women and women with small children are differnt tho, and not giving them a seat makes you a dick. same for elderly/disabled dudes or dudes with little kids. otherwise first come first serve.
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I resolved that problem by never offering anyone a seat. That way noone will say i have preferences other than myself.

Deleted
    This thread is full on fucking derp.

Okay here goes though. You should offer your seat to people who have more trouble standing than you, if you want to be nice.

Obviously this means the elderly, pregnant, disabled, etc. I'd also apply this to women in heels though.

It can be difficult to stand in most heels, and even a small heel can put more pressure on the wrong parts of your feet. "Well! She shouldn't have come on the bus wearing heels!" I hear you all cry. Well... Yes and no. You'd be pushed to get me on a bus in heels, for sure. In most instances I'd rather wear a pair of flats, and carry some heels for when I arrive if I could. It's not always an option though. If you are going to an interview, for example, you can't very well walk in holding a pair of scruffy converse that you hopped on the bus with. If you are on a night out, There's simply nowhere to put them, you can't even stuff them in your bag because you've probably got a teeny weeny little clutch that will barely fit your phone instead of your regular bag. Maybe you were somewhere and your car broke down and you had to get the bus back unexpectedly, or you had to take an unexpected bus trip and didn't bring flats with you.

But if you're sat there, and there's a guy and a girl, both in their twenties, wearing the same pair of converse, no other real reason why they struggle to stand or anything, then yep it's a bit weird to offer your seat to the girl but not the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Holycloud777 View Post

I'm 25 year, a male and am able bodied.
    Sexist! Unless it is something against you. If so then not sexist.

NEXT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    She's not actively squeezing it out so screw that lol. Child birth is easy, raising the child is the harder part.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you giving seat to women to even begin with?! Like are they not people who can stand lol.
    Well hello thar, friend. Nice new avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post

Okay here goes though. You should offer your seat to people who have more trouble standing than you, if you want to be nice.

Obviously this means the elderly, pregnant, disabled, etc. I'd also apply this to women in heels though.

It can be difficult to stand in most heels, and even a small heel can put more pressure on the wrong parts of your feet. "Well! She shouldn't have come on the bus wearing heels!" I hear you all cry. Well... Yes and no. You'd be pushed to get me on a bus in heels, for sure. In most instances I'd rather wear a pair of flats, and carry some heels for when I arrive if I could. It's not always an option though. If you are going to an interview, for example, you can't very well walk in holding a pair of scruffy converse that you hopped on the bus with. If you are on a night out, There's simply nowhere to put them, you can't even stuff them in your bag because you've probably got a teeny weeny little clutch that will barely fit your phone instead of your regular bag. Maybe you were somewhere and your car broke down and you had to get the bus back unexpectedly, or you had to take an unexpected bus trip and didn't bring flats with you.

But if you're sat there, and there's a guy and a girl, both in their twenties, wearing the same pair of converse, no other real reason why they struggle to stand or anything, then yep it's a bit weird to offer your seat to the girl but not the guy.
    Women don't have to wear heels. I feel no sympathy for them.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

All jokes aside. Yes, but I don't think it is even a big deal. I pride myself on treating people equally. I hold the door for men as I do women. If a guy looks tired and worn down, I offer my seat. If a young lady who just got on the bus and looks fresh expects my seat, I just stare back as she looks at me waiting.

If you want to offer your seat to every female you meet then more power to ya. Just don't be an asshole (like some I have met) and get on me for not giving up mine. Only then will I get a case of the ass.
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

I call it being selfish against yourself. You first need to learn to respect yourself before you can take the next step of keeping your own seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post

Wow Erin! You're like the ambassador for the other gender!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Chivalry and sexism are one and the same, yes. You are performing a specific service towards another person because it is a woman, and you feel obliged to help women based on their gender. It isn't because of her situation, or because you know something about her like she needs to sit because of a disability.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sexism

noun
    attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of gender roles.
    It's a very plain meaning. Not necessarily negative, not to be confused with chauvinism. Ultimately you're doing a good thing, it's helpful to the other person... but if the qualifying criteria for this assistance is still whether they have a vagina or not then you are being sexist.

Yes, you should offer your seat to elderly men if you are young and fit. I always do, and I also offer it to elderly women, pregnant women, people with walking canes/crutches/braces, or people with small children. I don't do those things based on anything other than the fact that I can see something about their circumstances means the seat would better serve them. It's never simply because it's a woman.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-06-09 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That's chivalry. You're being a gentleman and it's a wonderful quality in a man, imo.

I'm sure the PC crowd will tell you it's sexist, though.
    Isn't chivalry about being respectful to your opponent before you battle to the death?

Also, I am FAAAAAAAR from PC. Like, you have no idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Chivalry and sexism are one and the same, yes. You are performing a specific action because it is a woman, and you feel obliged to help women based on their gender. It isn't because of her situation, or because you know something about her like she needs to sit because of a disability.

Yes, you should offer your seat to elderly men. I always do, and I also offer it to elderly women, pregnant women, or people with small children. I don't do those things based on anything other than the fact that I can see something about their circumstances means the seat would better serve them. It's never simply because it's a woman.
    This. I usually don't offer them my seat tho, I have Scoliosis and I can't be arsed to stand up and fuck up my back.

That's chivalry. You're being a gentleman and it's a wonderful quality in a man, imo.

Chivalry stems directly from sexism. It's they idea that men are weaker, so it's noble for a man to help the weak woman.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Chivalry stems directly from sexism. It's they idea that men are weaker, so it's noble for a man to help the weak woman.
    I know this is a typo, but I still find this hilarious

Deleted
    You think that she is thinking "oh what a gentleman!" when in reality she is thinking "Thank god I can sit down and talk to my partner / friends on facebook"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I'd sooner give up my seat to an old crippled dude than some random middle aged woman. Same as I'd sooner give up my seat to a random middle aged or younger woman, than some kid.

I just avoid the shit in general and stand the whole time anyway, since the train is usually full.
    I lived in Vancouver for three years while going to graduate school and the biggest lesson I learned in that time is that you don't ever give up your seat to anyone, regardless of age, gender, or race. The reason for this is because once you do, tiny asian ladies wearing medical masks half a bus length away from you will stampede over each other towards the empty seat in an effort to sit down before the person you were offering it to can get there.

If there was an 10th circle of hell it would be fucking Vancouver public transit.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

always stand up for older people... dont care if other girls look at me weird... the men (most of them very young .. around university age) dont get up....

i have also gotten up to offer my seat to women with children...

tbh, i dont care how old the person is or their sex... if it seems they are having a tough time, i offer.... even if it means going all the way to the front of the bus to tell the person to take my seat.. as i make my way there, i smack a few heads

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Women don't have to wear heels. I feel no sympathy for them.
    Awww, that's adorable.

Yes, darling. In many cases, women do have to wear heels.

Depends on the country of course, but you would be hard pushed to find a job in many offices, particularly the flashy slick corporate ones, or in client / customer facing jobs, if you turned up to interview without wearing heels.

Statistically speaking, women in heels are more attractive than without to a majority of people. Companies are even legally allowed, depending on the job, to hire based on attractiveness, and would do it in most cases even if it wasn't legal (either subconviously, because attractive women are more likely to get any job than unattractive but equally skilled etc women, or conciously, because a stereotypically attractive woman will perform better than an unattractive equivalent in most jobs - people buy from attractive people more than unattractive people, people are less willing to rate companies badly if the customer service person they speak to is attractive, etcetc). Men don't HAVE to wear a suit for an interview, but many interviewers in many jobs will not hire you if you are not wearing one. It's the same thing. It's part of the attire you have to wear in a lot of cases. Again, YMMV based on type of job, country, etc.

The same sort of thing applies to going out places or whatever. Virtually every part of our society favours attractive people over unattractive people. It's easy to say "Well, you don't have to do this thing that everyone else is doing to get a leg up in society" as a dude in this scenario (sitting on a bus) because none of the things guys have to do make it difficult to stand on a bus or walk long distances, but you've got to understand that suppose you and your friend set out to do an identical task, whether that's going to work or going to an interview or doing just about anything, you're both in the exact same position, but to be on equal footing with you, she has to wear heels and you do not... it makes sense for her to sit and you to stand. It's not her fault that society thinks less of her if she's not wearing them. It's not your fault either of course, but since neither of you can change it and she's the one wearing heels, let her sit the fuck down.

Most of the people on the bus though, you have no idea what they are up to, what their story is, what they've just been doing. Most people aren't going to be getting on the bus wearing heels, so you know if they have to, they don't want to be doing this shit either. Like, seriously, they are fucking uncomfortable to stand in or walk long distances in or whatever, no one wears them just to be a special snowflake, they wear them because that's what they've got to do to look good to the largest number of people, or to look good for themselves which they have just as little control over as they do over what society finds attractive.

Seriously, shit like this just drives me crazy. People just can't see beyond the ends of their nose. Don't even think for a second about what it's like to be someone else. Don't think for a second "oh, maybe getting on a fucking rammed bus for 30 minutes wearing 5 inch heels isn't what she actually wanted to do today? Maybe, just maybe, she didn't have a choice or maybe she didn't plan for something to happen" - nope, just go straight to "well, you didnt have to wear them lol"

Like, I'd offer a seat to a guy who's obviously going to or from some kind of job involving physical labour or lots of standing up. If you're in clothes with paint on them and shit, or you're carrying a hard hat or something, then like, fuck you've probably been on your feet all day, or are about to be on your feet all day, you deserve a rest man. None of that "oh well you didnt have to get a job as a painter or a builder so I feel no sympathy for you" shit.