sample vs plagiarism

So when does it stop being a "sample" and is just "ripped off?" Not necessarily in a legal sense, but in your personal opinion. And do you have examples of songs that you think crossed that line?

For me:

I guess I'm just one of those silly people who thinks you should probably have to do more than just add a base track to a preexisting song... But maybe it's different for rap/hip hop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sampling is an art form and shouldn't be looked down upon.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Sampling is an art form and shouldn't be looked down upon.
    It seems you missed the point of the topic. He didn't say anything was wrong with sampling. But what point does it go away from sampling and into being a shameless rip-off?

This example is literally the exact song as it sounds on the SNES playing along with the music. This guy also did it with at least one other Chrono Trigger song.

I'm not sure why it's so funny to me that this motherfucker would use something from Chrono Trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

I was just listening to this, and part 2 which also samples another song from chrono trigger lol :P I think that if the original creators don't have a problem with it, then why should anyone else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    It seems you missed the point of the topic. He didn't say anything was wrong with sampling. But what point does it go away from sampling and into being a shameless rip-off?

This example is literally the exact song as it sounds on the SNES playing along with the music. This guy also did it with at least one other Chrono Trigger song.
    It's a sample of about 8 sounds looped. Not the entire song.

How many songs have you heard this in?
    Last edited by SL1200; 2015-06-10 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    It's a sample of about 8 sounds looped. Not the entire song.

[video=youtube;rvCZ-HmXtCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvCZ-HmXtCc[video]

How many songs have you heard this in?
    It's pretty much the entire song playing through.

So what are you trying to say, anyway? That there is no line, and you can take as much as you want from somebody else's song and call it sampling? There has to be a line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know that a lot "hit" songs produced actually come from samples made individually by others?

I don't got my good head phones on but i hear a slight alterations to the sample some more echo to. I'm completely fine with this honestly as plagiarism for me is literally taking the whole song and using it to make the same thing, merely relabeling. In this case the original song goes in a completely different direction of the song it is sampled in.

But having grown up with the Belgian electronic music scene (New beat, techno, electro) and later french house and electro, especially having found a new love for neo-80's synth sound my opinion will be heavily biased in favor of sampling.
    You would be surprised how often that happens, a few second sample being used. While here it is being looped as good as constantly which is pretty much the way hiphop and rap music is generally produced. You also find it other styles that do it, it simply doesn't get noticed since its from songs most people don't know all to well.

Hell if Nile Rodgers had to get upset every time someone used a sound from him he probably would've gotten a few dozen strokes by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    It's pretty much the entire song playing through.

So what are you trying to say, anyway? That there is no line, and you can take as much as you want from somebody else's song and call it sampling? There has to be a line.
    Yes you can take as much as you want and it is more often than not seen as a compliment.

It is only an issue if as good as literally you taking the same song and use it by simply sticking your name on top of it than rather the original producer, that's something that also happens but is heavily frowned upon.

Here rap got added and the sample was altered sightly and used in a complete different context.