Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd never heard the term window licker applied to anyone with mental illness before.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    I haven't heard the term used outside the context of this Brazilian TV gem (Possibly NSFW: South American game show)

Considering that Lego is a Danish company, I wouldn't be surprised if there was just some cultural or linguistic barrier here, which is certainly excusable. I don't get the Mencap rep in the article asserting that this kind of thing advances hate crime and bullying against the mentally handicapped though...
    I think their concern was it could imply saying said words towards mentally handicapped is acceptable when in reality it isn't

Richard D James and Chris Cunningham at thier finest. (Genuinely first saw this on holiday when I was awake at like 3am and unable to sleep. Needless to say this didn't help. WAsn't sure wtf I had just seen) Skip to 4 mins for the music.

Sorry only very slightly on topic. On a more related note: Surprised so many people are unaware of the phrase; but honestly I don't remember when I first heard it used, probably school playground; and maybe its just one of those things that you hear so early you assume everyone uses the phrase. Still; hard to not see the connection in context
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2015-06-10 at 07:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I think their concern was it could imply saying said words towards mentally handicapped is acceptable when in reality it isn't
    If the term wasn't used only to describe a toy that had absolutely zero characteristics relatable to an actual human, handicapped or not, then I could understand the concern. I would certainly see it as a problem if the toy was more humanoid and its characteristics were crude caricatures of handicapped stereotypes, but the toy may as well have just jumped out of Monsters Inc.

What I take from it is that the people who were offended think it's acceptable to use the term "window licker" to describe people with mental health issues, which I find more offensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phayde View Post
    What I take from it is that the people who were offended think it's acceptable to use the term "window licker" to describe people with mental health issues, which I find more offensive.
    o.O Why should they think its acceptable?
    ("back-of-the-bus window-licker")

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    If the term wasn't used only to describe a toy that had absolutely zero characteristics relatable to an actual human, handicapped or not, then I could understand the concern. I would certainly see it as a problem if the toy was more humanoid and its characteristics were crude caricatures of handicapped stereotypes, but the toy may as well have just jumped out of Monsters Inc.
    That's irrelevant

What's relevant is they mentioned it "licking windows at the back of the bus" which is the very definition of window licking

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phayde View Post
    That's certainly some miraculous mental gymnastics

People complain window licker is unacceptable whilst believing it is acceptable o.O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    People complain window licker is unacceptable whilst believing it is acceptable o.O
    I think he means the association "window-licker"+toy = mentally handycapped child is based on their intolerance that would be the case if "back of the bus" wouldn't have been included.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    I think he means the association "window-licker"+toy = mentally handycapped child is based on their intolerance that would be the case if "back of the bus" wouldn't have been included.
    TBF im kinda at a loss why they would even describe it as licking windows even without the bus reference

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    People are overacting over some slang urban dictionary expression when it is obvious it weren't meant in that way
    Coincidentally the people who complained are SJW's on the internet and jobless soccer moms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Coincidentally the people who complained are SJW's on the internet and jobless soccer moms.
    "Something something SJW... Something something BS..."

Yeah the ANYBODY THAT COMPLAINS IS A SJW is becoming an unfunny meme now. Try being edgy more

Republican and Democrats offend me, who do I complain too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Republican and Democrats offend me, who do I complain too?
    Your polling booth