Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question What Can We Not Taste?

Weird question, I know :P

But it stems from the bit about cats not being able to taste sweet things, because their evolution went a certain route over another. Other animals can taste more flavors, and we're one of them. But are there more flavors we're unable to taste? What would they be?

This is also similar to vision, where some animals see less colors than we do, but birds can see more than us, even UV light. It's fascinating to think about, but kind of hard to imagine, when we're unable to see or taste something it makes it almost intrinsically unimaginable to us. (Can you imagine a color outside the ones you know?)

Air, like if you breath through your mouth.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Pure distilled H2O with no additives.

But does pure water and air actually HAVE a taste, and we're not able to taste it? Or are they naturally bland?

Our elbows.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    What you do not smell is called iocane powder. It is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadlier poisons known to man.

Deleted
    I can't taste purple.

Yellow as well but red is possible If I try reeeal hard.

On a serious note we probably cant taste the majority of things.
    Since we can only taste 5 things in the firstplace and everything else is smell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our tongue?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Irony.

At least on a technicality.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

how would we know what we cant taste? we...cant...taste...it...

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    how would we know what we cant taste? we...cant...taste...it...
    You could look into the science of why things have taste, science on our senses has to be objective after all.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    molten lead.
    Yes, you can. Very, very briefly.

Tastes like burning.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    You could look into the science of why things have taste, science on our senses has to be objective after all.
    that just shows things we know, not the things we will never know...like, things we cant taste?

10+ Year Old Account
    For not being able to taste sweets, my cat sure does love her some peppermint candy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Our elbows.
    Now I have to resist the urge to try it again.

Maybe things changed.

There is a small chance that you can't taste rat-poison.
    Seriously, I learned that in biology class along with other fun-facts like that there is
    a small percentage of people who can't roll their tongue.
    What I forgot though was which rat-poison this was exactly and I won't try some. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    What you do not smell is called iocane powder. It is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadlier poisons known to man.
    Good man

Tears of Joy from a WoW-Player.

am i doing this right?