Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Navy Chaplain being removed from service for his beliefs.

I know it is somewhat old news, however I only just came across it as I was flipping channels and the 700 club came up.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...ired/24699275/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ress-responds/

http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...aith/50218.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...n-beliefs.html

I can't find anything from the officer's point of view so try to see it from both sides. I am interested in hearing from both sides.

What do you think? Do people have a right not to be morally opposed in private sessions with a counselor of professed faith? Should chaplains be forced to leave part of their beliefs at home to prevent a person being offended?

This is a sensitive topic so please remain civil and have an open mind.

Edit: some have expressed that they don't know what a chaplain is.

http://www.goarmy.com/chaplain/about.html

The Navy Chaplain Corps comprises more than 800 Navy Chaplains from more than 100 different faith groups, including Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist and many others. Each Chaplain is also a Navy Officer – meaning each holds an important leadership role.

Chaplains offer everything from faith leadership to personal advice to much-needed solace. All while living up to the guiding principles of the Chaplain Mission:

Providing religious ministry and support to those of your own faith
    Facilitating the religious requirements of those from all faiths
    Caring for all servicemembers and their families, including those subscribing to no specific faith
    Advising the command in ensuring the free exercise of religion

As a Navy Chaplain, your job spans a broad range of duties, seeing people through some of their most joyful moments to their most personally challenging. And it could include any of these responsibilities:

Conduct worship services in a variety of settings
    Perform religious rites and ceremonies such as weddings, funeral services and baptisms
    Counsel individuals who seek guidance
    Oversee religious education programs, such as Sunday school and youth groups
    Visit and provide spiritual guidance and care to hospitalized personnel and/or their family members
    Train lay leaders who conduct religious education programs
    Promote attendance at religious services, retreats and conferences
    Advise leaders at all levels regarding morale, ethics and spiritual well-being
    From the army chaplaincy:

ARMY CHAPLAIN - 24/7 (ACTIVE DUTY)

Ministry in motion. Adventure and challenge. Serving those who serve. You will accompany Soldiers all over the world as they carry out their missions. And while you minister to the Soldiers, you and your family will be enriched as you are exposed to new places, new peoples, and new cultures. Your faith will be enriched, challenged, and strengthened as you carry out your duties as the spiritual leader in the spiritual community known as the Army.

ARMY CHAPLAIN - CIVILIAN MINISTER - (RESERVE DUTY)

You're already busy in the life of your faith community. You have a clear calling where you currently serve, but you want to serve your nation. Why not expand your ministry right where you are without moving and serve our nation's Reserve and National Guard Soldiers? As a Reserve Chaplain, you'll be a preacher, a teacher, a counselor and a Citizen-Soldier. You'll serve the spiritual needs of the people in your community without leaving your current vocation.

ARMY CHAPLAIN - PART OF A TEAM

All Army Chaplains are coupled with an enlisted soldier known as a Chaplain Assistant. Together they form the Unit Ministry Team (UMT). To military types they're simply referred to as the UMT. The UMT is inseparable in duty. Due to the non-combatant status of a Chaplain, the Chaplain Assistant is responsible for the security of the team. Fully trained in Soldier tasks and religious support matters, the Chaplain Assistant rounds out the ministry of the UMT.

ARMY CHAPLAIN - FAITH DISTINCTIVE

Army Chaplains are expected to observe the distinctive doctrines of their faith while also honoring the right of others to observe their own faith. The Army is a pluralistic environment. Rabbis, Ministers, Imams and Priests serve our Soldiers with conviction and commitment. While serving their own faith groups in the Army, chaplains also ensure and provide the means for others to observe their own faith in accordance with US law and regulations.

ARMY CHAPLAIN - ARMY FAMILY

While Soldiers are at the heart of a chaplain's ministry, chaplains are also responsible for caring for the Soldiers' families, and may often find themselves serving the spiritual needs of sailors, marines, or airmen. Whether it is leading worship and preaching, administrating the sacraments, counseling young couples, establishing education classes and youth groups, or working with parish and congregational advisory groups, the Army Chaplain is never spiritually AWOL.
    Last edited by Greelix; 2015-06-11 at 05:00 PM.
    Welcome to New Blizzard where everything ages backwards, dead servers are left gasping for breath, homogenization is disguised as uniqueness, leveling mirrors the progression of travel in the last 150 years, and gold is just a nuisance.

Sounds like standard right-wing frothbait. I doubt it is at all significant.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Chaplains have to work with people of all faiths, and as such, must provide secular counseling. If they cannot, they should not be chaplains.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    What's a Chaplain?

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks to me like he was using his chaplain post like a bully pulpit rather than as a place of trust and comfort and advice. What this guy did is not what chaplains are meant for.

And Brietbart? Seriously?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Greelix View Post
    I know it is somewhat old news, however I only just came across it as I was flipping channels and the 700 club came up.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...ired/24699275/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ress-responds/

http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...aith/50218.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...n-beliefs.html

I can't find anything from the officer's point of view so try to see it from both sides. I am interested in hearing from both sides.

What do you think? Do people have a right not to be morally opposed in private sessions with a counselor of professed faith? Should chaplains be forced to leave part of their beliefs at home to prevent a person being offended?

This is a sensitive topic so please remain civil and have an open mind.
    His job is to act as a counselor for the US Navy; which has a policy against discrimination (including based on sexual orientation). He should be made to walk the fucking plank.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What's a Chaplain?
    Chaplains are religious leaders often used in lieu of counselors in the military. They pull double duty in leading religious observations and providing counseling for service members.

Deleted
    Anyway read the article I don't really understand why he's complaining about his dismissal. Homophobia has no place in any workplace especially the NAVY lol

He isn't removed for his believes, he is removed for his inability to respect the believes of others, more so he was trying to enforce his viewpoints onto others.

How did this narrow minded individual get the job to begin with?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Chaplains are religious leaders often used in lieu of counselors in the military. They pull double duty in leading religious observations and providing counseling for service members.
    Ahh honestly never heard of one, cheers for clarification. Is this common worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I wanted to be a Chaplin's Assistant back in the day. Easiest job in the Military, I hear.
    If it's a catholic ship you have to be a boy.

This absolutely right. This should be a dishonorable discharge at the very least. A court martial might even be in order.

You cant be apart of an organization then completely go against what it stands for. It would be like someone working in PITA with racks of animals heads mounted in their office.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Ahh honestly never heard of one, cheers for clarification. Is this common worldwide
    I think it's pretty unique to the US military in terms of modern armies.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know whether it is part of counselling to exercise Christian belief by judging people. Thus he can't be kicked for Christian beliefs because it seems he doesn't seem to hold them in high regards anyways. At the very least it was abuse of his position.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole concept of a nondenominational chaplain is that they're supposed to help people navigate their own spiritual needs, not to impose beliefs on others. It's not the job of the chaplain to sit in judgment of others.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's the military.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you mean PETA(people for the ethical treatment of animals)... Pita is a type of bread or, as an acronym, pain in the ass.
    HAHA u are right. I always thought for some reason it was PITA because I thought in my head Pain In The Ass.

a good laugh nonetheless
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Sengiratolom View Post
    He isn't removed for his believes, he is removed for his inability to respect the believes of others, more so he was trying to enforce his viewpoints onto others.

How did this narrow minded individual get the job to begin with?
    Less then 10 years ago what is getting him fired now was the walking order for the military. Since the military has reversed its position on this I am sure many people who supported the bigotry have kept that same mindset. He has had the job for 20 years so for over half of his career if somebody was gay in the military they were dishonorably discharged, which is pretty much a professional kiss of death for future employment.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    HAHA u are right. I always thought for some reason it was PITA because I thought in my head Pain In The Ass.

a good laugh nonetheless
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    Putin khuliyo

From the looks of the articles, the chaplain seems to have more or less admitted to being a preacher, and not an actual chaplain.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I can't find anything that implies a chaplain has to provide secular counseling or counseling that is based on the beliefs of another. Everything points to chaplains being able to freely hold services for their particular faith also.

As for other counsel, the navy provides other options:

http://www.navy.com/careers/healthca...sponsibilities
    Welcome to New Blizzard where everything ages backwards, dead servers are left gasping for breath, homogenization is disguised as uniqueness, leveling mirrors the progression of travel in the last 150 years, and gold is just a nuisance.