Thread: New build

New build

Sup guys, I need your advice about my new build.

So far I decided to go with that.

CPU: i7 4790k
    Mainboard: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer Gaming
    Grafikkarte: MSI GTX 970
    Ram: G.Skill TridentX DD3 2400 CL 10
    SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo
    Netzteil: Corsair CS550M Gold

I'm thinking about to change the CPU to a Xeon E3-1231v3/i5 4690K. It is going to be used for a lot of rendering, streaming and wow (raids ect.). So the question would be if it makes sense to change to the xeon or i5 and if its going to be a significant difference.

I'm not quite sure about the motherboard, should I change it to another Z-H (if i take the xeon) one? What about the ram? Should I stick with the 2400 (10 lantecy) or go with two 1600s (lat.8)? And last but not least, case and cpu cooler. I took the Noctua NH-D14 so far.

greetings tianhe

First off, Xeon is not a rendering/streaming CPU, they are used mainly for servers for being stable. Your best bet is i7-4790k unless you want to triple the price and go for an extreme CPU(which are not worth it), and with extreme CPUs, you have to opt for DDR4 ram, which cost a fortune still(and bring no performance benefits for streaming/playing).

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    First off, Xeon is not a rendering/streaming CPU, they are used mainly for servers for being stable. Your best bet is i7-4790k unless you want to triple the price and go for an extreme CPU(which are not worth it), and with extreme CPUs, you have to opt for DDR4 ram, which cost a fortune still(and bring no performance benefits for streaming/playing).
    While that is the main use of Xeons, yes, they are still a 4-core/8-thread chip and since they do not have built-in video they can be cheaper than an i7 and perform extremely well for rendering tasks. That said, you can not OC them as easily either(if at all, unsure) as they are not unlocked, so game performance can suffer. the DDR4 RAM may also help with rendering? Not sure here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tianhe View Post

I'm thinking about to change the CPU to a Xeon E3-1231v3/i5 4690K. It is going to be used for a lot of rendering, streaming and wow (raids ect.). So the question would be if it makes sense to change to the xeon or i5 and if its going to be a significant difference.

I'm not quite sure about the motherboard, should I change it to another Z-H (if i take the xeon) one? What about the ram? Should I stick with the 2400 (10 lantecy) or go with two 1600s (lat.8)? And last but not least, case and cpu cooler. I took the Noctua NH-D14 so far.

greetings tianhe
    The RAM speed will not make a difference in gaming, but may for rendering, not sure.

For a case, the Fractal Design R5 in a highly recommended case around here for it's silence. The Corsair Obsidian series has some nice stuff in the higher end.

There is a Noctua NH-D15 now as well which is better than the 14. It is one of the best air coolers on the market and I highly recommend it. I love my 14.

The Xeon E3 1231v3 is a socket 1150 part, and does not use DDR4.

Xeons are not solely "server chips" - they are also high end workstation chips (in Socket 2011v3, at least, the lower end Socket 1150 parts are for low-end servers or use as budget CPUs for low-end workstations). Support for ECC RAM is the primary difference in Socket 1150 Xeons and i7s (and lack of an iGPU).

The Socket 1231v3 is usually substantially cheaper than the i7 4790K, depending on where you buy, and is still an extremely solid part if you need 4 cores/8 threads on a budget and still want solid gaming performance (3.5Ghz vs 4.0Ghz isnt going to suddenly drop your framerates into the toilet).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tianhe View Post

greetings tianhe
    Looks good overall, similar to what I'm building right now (see signature)

I'd swap the RAM for 1866MHz CAS 9, seems like the sweet spot for Haswell and pricing right now.

Swap the PSU to an RM550 from Corsair, Antec HCG-m, XFX, Seasonic, EVGA GS.

The Noctua cooler is fine, I personally prefer something from Be Quiet or Phanteks.