Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

What are your annoyances that provoke ragequit?

Saw it on massivelyop so was wondering what causes you all to rage quit, its about mmos in general but i'd rather broad it out to all games. Me personally, when the community sucks so bad its really hard to work up the nerve to play. When the developers dont listen at all to the community and nerf whatever they want despite it being a bad choice. When developers dont separate pvp and pve abilities so they can nerf them and still be viable in pve. When the port is so bad i cant stand playing it for more than a minute.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/ma...oke-ragequits/
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

In terms of quitting for good, when the game changes beyond what I want it to be or when I no longer enjoy playing it for whatever reason.

In terms of getting frustrated and saying 'FUCK YOU!' and stopping playing for a while, usually when connection gets laggy/unresponsive for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    In terms of getting frustrated and saying 'FUCK YOU!' and stopping playing for a while, usually when connection gets laggy/unresponsive for whatever reason.
    Yeah, bad connection is enough for me to punch a box of kittens.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    In terms of quitting for good, when the game changes beyond what I want it to be or when I no longer enjoy playing it for whatever reason.

This literally just happened to me in Hearthstone... Paid for an arena and lost the first game from DCing... >.<
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Unskippable cutscenes.
    You're a towel.

In City of Heroes issue 5, the Devs introduced what COH players know as the "Global Defense Nerf" and "Enhancement Diversification". The GDN basically gutted all defense and resistance powers to extremely low levels. Now enhancements in COH enhanced powers by a percentage. With the base numbers reduced dramatically so was the amount gained from enhancements. At the same time ED made it so after slotting more than 2 of the same enhancements (you could have 6 total enhancements in a power and could enhance various aspects of it such as accuracy, damage, recharge, reduced cost, etc) had diminishing returns which further limited how much you could enhance all powers. To add insult to injury, they also cut the duration of area of effect controls by half and doubled their recharge times (cooldown in wow terms), which hit my own main particularly hard. Especially since it was still profitable when it was closed.

This was when I left City of Heroes for the first (and what I thought was the last) time. Several content patches later they introduced the Invention System which gave players the ability to create enhancements of varying types which all had various set bonuses. This system allowed players to make up many of the shortfalls caused by the GDN and ED and at least partially mitigated the control nerf. That's when I returned to COH. I really miss that game. Even though the GDN and ED were horrific at the time, the Invention system made up for it and the game was ultimately better for it. I am still bitter with NCSoft for closing it down.

As far as WoW is concerned, it's been a bunch of little things that have pushed me away. The game has evolved... perhaps too much for me. More sophisticated players, theory crafters, mods, etc led to more complicated fight mechanics which made raiding more of a drag as xpacs went on. WotLK was my tolerance level and only barely. Heroic mode ruined raiding for me, because I wanted no part of it but everyone else did. The mindset transformed to if you weren't raiding heroic you weren't really raiding. Cataclysm was the last xpac where I was a full fledged raider.

There was the constant changes to classes for a time that really drove me bonkers with wow as well. Eventually that settled down unfortunately my preferred class/spec (arcane mage) got stuck with what I consider a nonsensical mastery which ruined the entire way arcane is supposed to play and its still broken even today as far as I am concerned. Arcane is designed to dump its mana... yet its mastery requires you stay near full mana all the time. Arcane lost its "mana yoyo" mechanics of burn and conserve and knowing when to do which and how to manage resources. Now its just a set rotation with little if any burn and no real resource management beyond keeping your mana in the 90% range.

Then there's the fact that, content since LK, feels (and this is purely subjective on my part) like its not even trying to hide the treadmill. I don't feel like I am progressing to anything meaningful. The game became a hamster wheel of going nowhere for me. You level to cap, your old gear becomes crap, you raid for new gear, all to have your efforts invalidated with the next xpac (which will be happening every year if Blizzard gets their way!). I know we can't just get top gear and expect it to last forever but everything just came to feel... I dunno... disposable. Nothing has lasting value anymore. Decisions like gating all the valor gear with rep in MoP was infuriating. I don't mind grinding reps for epic gear... when its bought with gold. Then there's the less than brilliant decision to gate some reps behind another rep (Golden Lotus).

Removing valor/justice altogether was a mistake imo. So was basically shitting all over dungeons just so players would do them maybe once and then ignore them. We lost incentives to do dungeons such as rep gains, valor, catch up dungeons with new/better gear). MoP did a hell of a number there and WoD made things worse. The whole no flying debacle was just another straw to the pile of ass hattery that drove me away from WoW. I get that things will change and the devs are going to do new things but sometimes... sometimes things are just fine as they are and shouldn't be messed with. Blizzard just isn't designing WoW for me anymore and that's fine. They have every right to make the game how they see fit. Just as I have every right to put the game down when its not a satisfying experience for me anymore and not worth my dollars.

I was a Grand Marshal... I did Naxx 60 when it was current content... I cleared Sunwell when it was current content. I cleared Icecrown when it was current content. I even managed to get a legendary staff in Cata and cleared Dragon Soul when it was current... But since WotLK the game has been pushing me further and further away until I am no longer the customer its being designed for.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2015-06-12 at 08:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to have to repeat what a few others have already said and say connection/lag problems. There is nothing more annoying than getting screwed over due to lag spikes and such randomly getting me killed through no fault of my own. Drives me utterly mental.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Saw it on massivelyop so was wondering what causes you all to rage quit, its about mmos in general but i'd rather broad it out to all games. Me personally, when the community sucks so bad its really hard to work up the nerve to play. When the developers dont listen at all to the community and nerf whatever they want despite it being a bad choice. When developers dont separate pvp and pve abilities so they can nerf them and still be viable in pve. When the port is so bad i cant stand playing it for more than a minute.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/ma...oke-ragequits/
    When my team is completely and utterly incapable of rational thought. When nobody understands a single damned thing they're supposed to do and completely lack all sense and have no awareness.
    Like this graphicly illustrates.

Pathfinding in RTS games.

Especialy when retreating troops get stuck against the reinforcements (Warzone 2100 gets a particular "FUCK YOU" in that regard. Someone on the dev team had a fetish for bottlenecks.).

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Unskippable cutscenes.
    I can sympathize with this. In Marvel Heroes there's a particularly nice upgrade recipe which only drops from a Story Mode boss fight. And to fight that boss, that means you have to endure two unskippable cutscenes every time you wanna kill him.

Extended death scenes or reloading procedures. Nothing like a "time out" when you are trying to execute a tough phase, really ripples my pond.

I also get pretty infuriated with "immersive" damage mechanics like Mass Effect 2, if you get hit a few times your screen will go so red it is nearly impossible to see anything, basically it means you need to be perfect or they will start kicking you in the nuts. I think we can thank John Carmack for this one, but they were always more subtle and only on taking damage, not blurring out your screen completely. Actually gets me angry thinking about it.

On that note though, I have never, ever rage quit an MMO. The closest I have come is....opening those fucking chests in the garrison after missions. One time list summary please
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2015-06-12 at 12:33 PM.

I've never ragequit an entire game. Boredom is usually the culprit for me.

Deleted
    Technical problems in alpha versions make me quit and non existing gameplay after uncovering alpha status being labeled as released game (Elite Dangerous, Space Base DF9).

When a game is artificially hard for no reason.

A game can be challenging without making it a "if you fail X move at random point you're dead". If the latter happens, it's only a matter of trying and trying and trying until you get it done by luck or you're played enough time to memorize patterns/counters/whatever.

There are some games purposely made this way that are actually a lot of fun (I wanna be the guy for example). However their entire goal is to be near impossible and to memorize a safe path to get to the next level.

I don't stand the games that are sold as "difficult so you will feel better than other people" or as "old games were fin because they were difficult so we made it difficult"; there is not challenge in bruteforcing things out of a game.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Complete RNG defeat is like getting kicked in my junk. Seems like Hearthstone is about the only game left I play that causes this reaction in me. I try to be collected, but I get so salty I want to kick the other player through my monitor. It's worse when I have same scenarios happen, like hunters throwing out their animal companion card and the only way they can win is if it happens to be hufferrush. 33%, happens 100% of the time. Or having Rag/Dr Balance bombs hit face when there are an entire board of minions.

Last night I had a pally toss out nefarian when I was in complete control. I killed it easily, sent some damage to his face, felt pretty comfortable. He just happened to pull mortal strike and was so low on health it killed me instantly. Like..really? Arrrrrggggh.
    BAD WOLF

Anything that forces PvP - I don't want to play against others, I have no interest in it at all.

Deleted
    Ninja pulls. The whole raid seems to leave and so we have to wait for everyone to rejoin again. The ninja puller doesn't leave of so it happens again! Why not just kick them!

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Bad connection in important moments, like in a Teamfight or a boss encounter.
    Grr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the only online game I play nowadays is Starcraft 2. I almost never quit a game that is not done yet, unless I see that I've lost completely. But I might quit sometimes if someone is harassing me: yes, I know, I can just block them and move on, but I simply don't enjoy playing with jerks.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

For me it's RNG. I despise RNG.

I quit WOW for about 2 years at one point after I kept losing the roll on BiS pants for a couple of months. When I eventually won them the group leader gave them to a hunter who complained because they had Arp on them even though they were BiS for me.