Deleted

Getting FPS drops in WoW

Hello,

I'm running an I7-4770k OC'd to 4.5 ghz & 2x gtx 780 and I'm experiencing random FPS drops no matter what settings I'm running the game on, have tried running on a lower resolution as well but I still get the FPS drops.

Anyone know how to find out the cause of this?

Deleted
    A few things to check. First of all obviously thermals, if cpu/gpu overheats and throttles during gaming. Second would be old drivers you haven't updated or the new ones that just released and might have screwed things instead of making it better. In this case you re-roll to previous one you had. Third but not least outdated addons. Disable all addons and run the game, go lfr or something. If it doesn't do it anymore then you know its an addon and you have to enable them one by one to see which one is it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A billion things can cause FPS drops, there's no way to know for sure with so little information.

Assuming that everything is more or less OK at the software department (no demanding background process, updated drivers, SLI profiles set up and etc), try running the game without the SLI and see if it still happens. SLI has always been buggy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    A few things to check. First of all obviously thermals, if cpu/gpu overheats and throttles during gaming. Second would be old drivers you haven't updated or the new ones that just released and might have screwed things instead of making it better. In this case you re-roll to previous one you had. Third but not least outdated addons. Disable all addons and run the game, go lfr or something. If it doesn't do it anymore then you know its an addon and you have to enable them one by one to see which one is it.
    No overheating or throttling, stays around 65-70c all the time, the fans are barely in use - spinning at around 1800-2000 rpm, I can bring the rpm up to 4200 max but there's nowhere near a need for a higher rpm since it's around 65-70c all the time. I've been running the same drivers for quite a while and this FPS drops is a recent thing, I've never had it before. Disabling addons doesn't change anything either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    A billion things can cause FPS drops, there's no way to know for sure with so little information.

Assuming that everything is more or less OK at the software department (no demanding background process, updated drivers, SLI profiles set up and etc), try running the game without the SLI and see if it still happens. SLI has always been buggy.
    Happens without SLI as well.

Deleted
    Yeah, same, basically when there is a ton of particles like smoke and dust, my fps drops to like 25-30 while I normally have a constant 95 fps with everything on ultra (if I let vsync off).

I have a geforce 680 and i7-something. Way above wow's requirements.

If you've been running the same drivers, have you tried updating them?

2) are your windows updates up to date?

3) have you tried with no addons to see if it continues?

make sure you run wow in 64bit launcher

10+ Year Old Account
    Delete the "cache" and try again. If it's still strange, make a backup of your WTF folder and launch the game without it.
    If an addon config is doing something silly this will fix. And the cache folder only bring problems.

Deleted
    There is a lot of things that could be causing this. There are issues when going into heavily populated areas then the FPS sometimes drops on a lot of PCs, are you around areas such as SW when this happens?

From personal experience, trying updating your Ethernet driver. Play WoW in Windowed mode and see if you still get the same issue, if you do then open task manager to see what spikes. Does your CPU or RAM spike? Also like previously stated, verify your Windows OS is up to date.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dufferin View Post
    There is a lot of things that could be causing this. There are issues when going into heavily populated areas then the FPS sometimes drops on a lot of PCs, are you around areas such as SW when this happens?
    Nope, happens anywhere. Last time it happened was when I was in my garrison.