Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    I have also started a fiction book.... an app called "Mindly" helps me a lot....
    What does it do?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I am writing one basing it off of my definition off a "realistic" story. The plot is going to be based around a future earth sending humans to a planet 100 light years away, requiring several generations to even get there. They then create "advanced humans" on that planet as an experiment. The only special thing about these "new humans" is that they can control atomic particles in the air, bend light slightly, modify sound waves, etc. So essentially we are the "gods" of a new species. This special planet has increased gravity over Earth and is lacking several elements that would allow for earth-based technology.

It has fantasy and sci-fi elements, as well as "magic" being more of a science than a special power. It starts out like a fantasy story normally would, where mostly everyone is ignorant of their origins. I would like people to read it when I'm done, but I seriously doubt anyone would want to, and that's cool.
    Last edited by Zafire; 2015-06-14 at 06:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been working on a few fantasies that all take place in the same universe.

My current work is something like 120,000 words and 23 chapters. It's near completion, only four scenes to write. But it's also the 11th book out of 12 planned. Since the books are independent plots however, they can be written out of order, but I won't be able to revise it until the other books catch up to it.

It's about an assassin who is tired of her life and wishes to retire. She thinks she gets that wish when she inherits a bookstore from an old friend. But prophecy, which she doesn't understand or fully believe, won't let her go. A man has a job, needed a mage and his apprentice killed, and the assassin finds herself pushed back into her old life one more time. She finds out that the mage's apprentice is innocent, but the master has evil plans. She rescues the apprentice and together they flee the master, beginning an adventure together to escape both the apprentice's master and the assassin's employer. All of this sets up for the final book in the series, where a particular dark lord returns after 600 years.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    What does it do?
    http://www.mindlyapp.com/ google is your friend.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I've made it to 86 pages, but that was the maximum I've ever wrote on one story. It was a sci-fi story, and not a very good one.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    My novel is currently running 157k words, with an end expected around 200k.

The reason why it is that long, is I detail everything, because i feel my images is what should be seen, but, when I finish, I am going to go through and less detail things, to leave it more up to the readers imagination. But, in order for me to keep writing and keep going, I need to do it as I do things, otherwise, I begin hating what I write and never go back to it.

As for getting into business of writing, I wouldnt know. Agents must be a god send or something.

My story is a Sci-fi taking place around a planet larger than jupiter, that is able support life, with three different empires pushing for dominance and control of it; humans and two different aliens species. The main reason all three want the planet is for the metal that grows on it. It is a diplomatic story, with a few skirmishes, and betrayals. Also pushes, "what is best for humanity," rather than the individual.

Working on a novel right now
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It's about an assassin who is tired of her life and wishes to retire.
    Seems like assassins are always trying to 'get out of the game', I think I'd like to write about an assassin who ends up forced out of her job because she falls in love, it could be a story about how she overcomes the burden of love and learns to kill again.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Wow, 157k words is long. Even for a veteran writer. Debut novels are rarely longer than 100k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Wow, 157k words is long. Even for a veteran writer. Debut novels are rarely longer than 100k.
    Yea, i know, which has also set in and weighed on me. In the end, I decided to write the story as I saw it, and let it play out, otherwise, somethings will feel bad. For instance if I were to cut around 100k~ it will leave a massive cliffhanger, and not completely fleshed out charcters that were introduced around there. Sure, some authors like leaving them, for suspense, specially with that being the peak of the 2nd arc for my novel, but i prefer to make a complete story, that, if left alone, it can be an open and shut novel, and one off... But in essence, having a chance at creating a massive universe in the end.

General rule is 100k words is about 400 pages in a manuscript. 157k is around 600, which is never going to be published as a debut author, if you're attempting commercial publication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Really? I'm feeling short at 120,000.
    Putin khuliyo

Best I did was my maths dissertation which was around 80 pages. I'm stupid and lazy so left it until the last few weeks, I have no idea how someone can have the patience to write an actual book that requires imagination, forethought and general structure which would make that impossible to do.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Really? I'm feeling short at 120,000.
    The problem is, major publishers will not accept anything over ~125k words, that being sci fi/fantasy only, from an author whos never published anything. Its a gamble for them, if your work is good for the masses or not. It could be great for a select few, but they want to sell as many as they can. People seeing such "big" book, that costs more, and is by an unknown author, tend not to buy it.

Feeling short? well, the best solution is to keep writing then. The rewrite/editing process is where you will go back through and find unnecessary things, and remove them. And then you will have 1 or two close friends go through it. At that point, youd send it in, and then they will edit it for you, cutting even more out, well suggesting...

as for myself. I decided to split it, leaving off on a cliffhanger. The only concern left, is it will be named Part 1 of 2.
    Last edited by Skayth; 2015-06-17 at 06:38 PM.

Deleted
    I write books. They have complicated plots, and they will be published ... when they're done. :P

We haven't worked on it in a while, but a friend and I are co-writing a book together. In each google doc we have about 100 pages written, and we have about 19 documents. I can't get on drive atm, but you do the math xD

Idk if we will ever publish, but it has been fun to work on.

I've done short stories. Never published though.

I would like to do a proper 400+ page book one day though. I'm really into adult 'superhero' novels. If I were to write a proper book, it would be in this kind of genre I imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loads of times. More so fan fiction around my Mage from Warcraft. Got 132 pages of story down too but its been abandoned for like 5 years lol.

Still keep it around but re-reading it made it seem so cheesy and corny, its a pretty good read if I rerite it again and change a few of the major plot holes dotted throughout the story lol :P

Made a few short stories based around WoW, one on a Blackrock Orc and another on Forsaken Deathguards. They are still the only things I have completed and enjoyed, but still they need work.

I am always tempted to write a book but I always have trouble with writing a beginning and a conclusion to the things I write, I have ideas its just putting them onto paper.

Like even now I have an idea for something I can write but its just hard for me :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I have some ideas for stories and characters but I'm not really at a point where I feel like I should sit down and write. Before I do that I feel like I would need to know where I want the story to begin and how it should end, and what the message of the story is. All I have now is just ideas for main characters, some specific scenes, some important phrases/quotes, and a small parts of plots.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I started some stories in blogs and things like that, but I would love to start a book.