Poll: How should parental leave be handled?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Oh yeah, child birth, don't leave work because hey, fuck your child's birth!

Is this the type of country we want to be?
    So here we have a post in reply that does not touch at all on what I was talking about going back 4-5 replies with others, and is pretty much pointless idiocy posted to flamebait.

So I am going to report this, and we will see if a nonbiased mod will infract based on forum rules. But since Themius is supposedly black, he wont be.

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT HIM NOT GIVING NOTICE. YES I WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE IF YOU TAKE OFF FOR WEEKS, OR EVEN THE DAY, YOU FUCKING TELL SOMEONE.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I thought that as well, but apparently the UK has Shared Parental Leave, which is tied to the birth and Parental Leave, which isn't. And Paternity Leave and Maternity Leave, both of which are tied to the birth.

We like to complicate things.

Indeed, my wife is self employed, so its not relevant really. But myself, I can take 4 weeks, per child under 5 years of age (although I think it may have recently changed) unpaid leave per year without question, UNLESS it would be detrimental to the firm, i.e. in an office of 4 people, and 2 people are on holiday, and 1 person is sick, they could veto my Parental Leave, but they are obliged to allow me it ASAP. It must be taken in blocks of your own working week. It has allowed us much more freedom. We recently had a holiday to Walt Disney World, due to my days off, flights, and so on, I needed 3 weeks holiday, but only took 2, and 1 week parental leave.

It is advised it is to be used for family matters, such as holidays, spending time with grandparents, or for childcare. But as a parent, you are under no obligation to inform your employer of what you are going to be doing. Therefore booking 1 week parental leave for release of WoD was just a perk to being a parent

This was my most recent letter to my employer...

Joe Bloggs
    1 Front Street
    MMO Town
    Azeroth
    Co. Durham
    AZ123ZA

9th January 2015

Dear Sir,
    I am writing to submit my request for one week parental leave. As per The Maternity and Parental Leave Regulations 1999, I am entitled to four weeks unpaid parental leave each year. I confirm I have been continuously employed for over a year. I confirm I will have responsibility for my child. I confirm my child is under the age of 5, and will remain under 5 at the end of my parental leave. My parental leave will commence Monday 27th April 2015, and end Sunday 3rd May 2015.

Yours sincerely,

Joe Bloggs
    Last edited by Stockers; 2015-06-12 at 06:52 PM.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It doesn't burden... in places where this has been implemented in the US there is little to no affect on the company. They simply do it and see no real difference.

And why would you want people to have to take off and not be paid for it? like how does that help the family at all?
    What makes you think I care about the family? If people can get paid maternity leave, people who won't ever have kids should be able to get 'Paid whatever I wanna do leave' for the same amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Yeah, lets all take an 8 week leave unpaid while mortgage, rent, food and insurances need to be paid+ Baby costs.
    In your ideal world no-one would have kids apparantly, caus no-one can afford em.

On a more personal note, i think its ridiculous moms get 8 weeks paid maternity leave and dads have to get back to work in 2 weeks.
    You have to put the faith of your 8 week old baby in the hands of a third party.
    I don't understand why people expect to be given special treatment, because they made a choice to have a kid.
    In my "Ideal World" people who had kids would be fully responsible for everything involved in having a kid, if that meant that no one could afford them anymore, then they shouldn't have them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    WE WERE TALKING ABOUT HIM NOT GIVING NOTICE. YES I WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE IF YOU TAKE OFF FOR WEEKS, OR EVEN THE DAY, YOU FUCKING TELL SOMEONE.
    I bet it was about not giving prior notice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    I bet it was about not giving prior notice.
    How are you not banned for America bashing and pulling this thread off topic? Is Endus currently inside you?

Congrats USA btw
    http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/...-leave-map.png

The more you know.
    NK beat you filthry Capitarist.

How can you post that in a thread about Sweden and not get infracted for nation bashing? It's flagrant nation bashing, clearly against the forum rules, so whose cock do you suck to get to bypass them all the time?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-06-24 at 02:09 PM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

You were wrong, relax. It's not the end of the world.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, lets all take an 8 week leave unpaid while mortgage, rent, food and insurances need to be paid+ Baby costs.
    I still don't understand why it's the companies responsibility to pay for your mortgage, rent, food, etc. when you are not working. They only pay you so that you can produce something. You being off with a kid and you are no longer producing anything, why should they still pay you? You're not entitled to money you didn't earn.

And why would you want people to have to take off and not be paid for it? like how does that help the family at all
    They aren't working, why should they be paid. You have no value to a society simply by existing. You only have value if you add in to it. If the company wants to provide such benefits to employees then great, let them. If they don't, fine as well, you aren't owed shit just because you live.

THE WORLD OWES YOU NOTHING
    Last edited by ovm33; 2015-06-12 at 07:01 PM.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    This was my most recent letter to my employer...

Joe Bloggs
    1 Front Street
    MMO Town
    Azeroth
    Co. Durham
    AZ123ZA

9th January 2015

Dear Sir,
    I am writing to submit my request for one week parental leave. As per The Maternity and Parental Leave Regulations 1999, I am entitled to four weeks unpaid parental leave each year. I confirm I have been continuously employed for over a year. I confirm I will have responsibility for my child. I confirm my child is under the age of 5, and will remain under 5 at the end of my parental leave. My parental leave will commence Monday 27th April 2015, and end Sunday 3rd May 2015.

Yours sincerely,

Joe Bloggs
    If I was your boss I'd have refused your request.

That's clearly a fake address and I have my suspicions that isn't your real name either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    How are you not banned for America bashing and pulling this thread off topic? Is Endus currently inside you?
    I just stumbled upon this topic related map and it baffled me really you have the US and on the otherhand such epitomes of civilisation like Best Korea with a better stat.

Its more of an uncomfortable truth then bashing.

Assuming 70% of all people want to reproduce, that issue would be a non issue.
    Not really. The number of available jobs would go down, period. Few if any employers can salvage a viable business model out of being required to pay people to do nothing whatsoever for a year. Would be better off going short handed or scaling down the business.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just stumbled upon this topic related map and it baffled me really you have the US and on the otherhand such epitomes of civilisation like Best Korea with a better stat.

Its more of an uncomfortable truth then bashing.
    And the racist language NK part at the end, that was just you having some cultural appreciation!

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a more specific breakdown of paternal leave:

http://awesome.good.is/transparency/...ave/flash.html

There seems to be a whole lot less time available for new fathers. We established that Sweden does a combined leave thing so there is that to consider when looking at their commanding lead.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    They aren't working, why should they be paid. You have no value to a society simply by existing. You only have value if you add in to it. If the company wants to provide such benefits to employees then great, let them. If they don't, fine as well, you aren't owed shit just because you live.

^ Why we can't have nice things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    All that edge.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    What makes you think I care about the family? If people can get paid maternity leave, people who won't ever have kids should be able to get 'Paid whatever I wanna do leave' for the same amount of time.

I don't understand why people expect to be given special treatment, because they made a choice to have a kid.
    In my "Ideal World" people who had kids would be fully responsible for everything involved in having a kid, if that meant that no one could afford them anymore, then they shouldn't have them.
    because having kids is important for the economy in the long run. unless of course, you want all of your nation's growth and young people to come from immigration.
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Here's a more specific breakdown of paternal leave:

http://awesome.good.is/transparency/...ave/flash.html

Well, for Portugal that chart is not quite accurate. If the mother chooses not to take her full maternity leave, the father can take the remaining time himself (5 or 6 months i think)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    because having kids is important for the economy in the long run. unless of course, you want all of your nation's growth and young people to come from immigration.
    And its the responsibility of a private enterprise to pay someone for doing no work to ensure that some other business has a warm bodies in 20 years?

Deleted
    I think it makes sense to offer parental leave to both men and women, but not both at the same time.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I think every new parent should get one year of paid time off from work for the birth of a new child or for new adoptions of children under a certain age.
    Who should pay them to stay home for a year?
    Are you saying new parent as in first time parent? Or new parent as in just had a new baby?

If you mean 1 year off for every child then you just aren't thinking through the ramifications of your "good intentions".

A family could decide to have 10 children in a row. I per year. Both parents would not have to work for an entire 10-year period under you proposal.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    The government here in Sweden wants to intervene way too much in the parental leave in my opinion and reading about it made me think about what other people think of it.

Like, it's 480 days parental leave, 60 days are obligatory to use for each of the parent, so 120 days that they were not free to distribute by themselves. Personally I think that's too much, and the government here wants to push for more obligatory use for men of the parental leave. Personally I think the government shouldn't intervene at all in it and it should be free for the couple to decide who is going to be on parental leave. Like, if they want one to take all the leave, they should be able to, if they want to split it 50/50, then they should be able to do that as well, if they want to split it 80/20, then they should be able to do that as well.

So, what's your opinions on parental leave? Do you think it works fine in your country? How do you think it should work?
    Obligitory parental leave for men is actually a tactic to reduce gender stereotyping in the hiring process.

Most companies are somewhat reluctant in the west to hire young women, if only because they're afraid they're going to disappear for several 6-month spurts to have children across the next few years. Which is usually a good excuse to find someone who's "a better fit".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Obligitory parental leave for men is actually a tactic to reduce gender stereotyping in the hiring process.
    Will just shift to singles then well done.