Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    And we need to eat steaks... lot's of steaks.. We've gotta get rid of those cattle herds.
    Yes!

Vegans are bad for the environment.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    You gotta be pretty long on the road though.....

http://earthsky.org/space/milky-way-rotation

But...... When you leave right now this very moment, and travel through time..... When you come back, to the exact same time, the galaxy should be in the very position it was before, means our solar system is still in the same spot.
    That says the Solar System travels at 800,000 kmh, so if you went back in time 1 hour then the Earth would be 800,000 km away. Or am I understanding that wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Well, I said inefficient, and Grummgug admits it's expensive too, so that's kind of a moot point.
    What was the other one? debris? nothing that can't be solved with more Sun tax.

I mean, this is a thread about having the Earth orbiting higher up... some suspension of disbelief might be needed :].

I'm not sure what do you mean by "orbiting against the Earth rotation": you park it there, with some -absurd- amount of fuel to adjust the orbit and collect taxes like a mad man :P.
    the fact that the earth is constantly moving....unless the device your using to anchor it can move too it's really pointless and the asteroids and what not would just wreck it constantly forcing you to rebuild it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Well, I said inefficient, and Grummgug admits it's expensive too, so that's kind of a moot point.
    What was the other one? debris? nothing that can't be solved with more Sun tax.

I mean, this is a thread about having the Earth orbiting higher up... some suspension of disbelief might be needed :].

I'm not sure what do you mean by "orbiting against the Earth rotation": you park it there, with some -absurd- amount of fuel to adjust the orbit and collect taxes like a mad man :P.
    You mentioned taxes..... that's a forbidden word.
    Profits, call it profits... that gets them on board.

And yeah, I didn't mean that literally with countering as in flying... Holding the position between sun and earth
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The Earth's orbit widens and shrinks naturally by about 5000km between its aphelion and perihelion every year and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Shoving us a bit further isn't going to change anything.

Not to mention that blasting a million rockets would likely contribute even more to the problem than this ridiculous notion would hope to solve.
    I'm pretty sure that number is off by at least a few zeros.
    The AU is the average distance from the Earth to the sun. Earth makes a complete revolution around the sun every 365.25 days *— one year. However, Earth's orbit is not a perfect circle; it is shaped more like an oval, or an ellipse. Over the course of a year, Earth moves sometimes closer to the sun and sometimes farther away from the sun. Earth's closest approach to the sun, called perihelion, comes in early January and is about 91 million miles (146 million km). The farthest from the sun Earth gets is called aphelion. It comes in early July and is about 94.5 million miles (152 million km).
    So that was off by at least 3 orders of magnitude. And that's the first time I've ever gotten to say "orders of magnitude".
    Last edited by Beery Swine; 2015-06-13 at 12:20 AM.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    That says the Solar System travels at 800,000 kmh, so if you went back in time 1 hour then the Earth would be 800,000 km away. Or am I understanding that wrong?
    That depends whether you leave Earth at all.
    Fuck that's mind blowing really lol
    The travel back in time is a risky matter. You have to do the math where is or better say where was Earth when you wanna touch down. The way back to where you started is simpler.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Well, space also isn't static, either, ever expanding and such, so presuming you would occupy the exact same space you were before travel . . . hell idk, you'd probably just need to factor that in as well to get a good estimate. Still, nowhere near the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the fact that the earth is constantly moving....unless the device your using to anchor it can move too it's really pointless and the asteroids and what not would just wreck it constantly forcing you to rebuild it.
    Erm. Lagrangian point.
    We have observatories hanging there. In particular we have a couple solar observatories in between Earth and Sun: they hang in there because it's an equilibrium point, and move alongside the Earth around the solar orbit. That's exactly where this screen would go, with some spare fuel for station keeping.
    It's also a particularly asteroid-free zone, unlike L4 and L5.

- - - Updated - - -

You mentioned taxes..... that's a forbidden word.
    Well, Grummgug was mocking the concept: because the point to make such screen, in his dystopia, was to create faux needs to justify taxation.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-06-13 at 12:31 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another thing to consider is the differing trajectories of current earth and future/past earth. We've all played Portal: speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out, and on the orbital scale, you'd be liquified if something wasn't just right.

That makes me think just how impossible Portal would actually be, too. Also teleportation, like Nightcrawler or the movie Jumper.
    Last edited by Beery Swine; 2015-06-13 at 12:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    You propose a solution to stop the climate from changing? I don't know if anyone has had the heart to tell you, OP, but you can't stop the climate from changing.
    I figured it was obvious that he was referring to the current man-made event of rapid warming, not this Republican conjured new definition of natural climate change to confuse their constituents about the nature of it or the difference between the two.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you didn't even think that through because that would be impossible. you also seem to have no clue how space works.
    since the earth is constantly MOVING AROUND THE SUN your sunscreen would be a colossal waste of money time and resources.
    there are also numerous asteroids and other debris and bodies moving through space that would continually destroy it.
    and exactly where are you going to anchor it to since there IS NO GRAVITY IN SPACE?
    Stationary orbit.