Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Homegrown terrorism?

Honestly; hope things calm down for America re: cops vs The People, and that this is the hight of the 'escalation'. Things have gone too far, it seems.
    This stuff has been going on for decades. You didn't hear about it cause the Internet wasn't a thing and we were less connected. Even like a strike between a labor union and employers the amount of violence would blow your mind. Explosions, shots fired, etc.

I'm guessing the guys who attacked the police headquarters are white and are trying to start a race war or something. Black people don't use bombs as much, they will tell you it's because they're not as crazy as whites.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    This stuff has been going on for decades. You didn't hear about it cause the Internet wasn't a thing and we were less connected. Even like a strike between a labor union and employers the amount of violence would blow your mind. Explosions, shots fired, etc.

I'm guessing the guys who attacked the police headquarters are white and are trying to start a race war or something. Black people don't use bombs as much, they will tell you it's because they're not as crazy as whites.
    Actually one of the aspects of "wikiwormholing" I have enjoyed most is reading about all these "forgotten" battles across American history between the people and, well, local law enforcement mostly but call it "government"; over strikes and other labour things. I say 'forgotten' they are probably not slightly in the US but still, never hear about it over here as its 'small news' I guess. Maybe I'm just really ignorant, and actually most people know about them, either ways

Either ways, all I really meant was that recently there seems to be more and more of a divide growing between 'civilians' (cops are civilians too) and law enforcement; with those NY cops shot dead in their patrol car earlier in the year (last year even) and other incidents. And I hope the situation calms down because if it gets much worse, it woul appear that quite a lot of your system is going to 'break down' and a lot of innocent people are going to suffer for it, on both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Either ways, all I really meant was that recently there seems to be more and more of a divide growing between 'civilians' (cops are civilians too) and law enforcement
    There absolutely is. That's what happens when the media demonizes an entire group based on the actions of a relative few members of that group (whether the group is an occupation, a race, a religion, etc.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    There absolutely is. That's what happens when the media demonizes an entire group based on the actions of a relative few members of that group (whether the group is an occupation, a race, a religion, etc.)
    This. People seem so keen to demonize the police due to the actions of a minority, yet still expect them to lay down and die for them when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    This. People seem so keen to demonize the police due to the actions of a minority, yet still expect them to lay down and die for them when needed.
    And people seem keen to demonize civilians for being unhappy about poor police conduct.

I don't support killing cops. But if you treat regular citizens like their criminals, they'll respond in kind most likely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And people seem keen to demonize civilians for being unhappy about poor police conduct.

I don't support killing cops. But if you treat regular citizens like their criminals, they'll respond in kind most likely.
    It's a vicious circle. People seem to forget that the majority of these issues are police vs criminals. Dont break the law > dont have problems with the police.

When the actions of the minority get banded around as what "they all do" they get twitchy when everyone and their wife seem out to get them.

Criminals get treated like the criminals they are. You are proving my comment in that you are assuming that the majority of cops treat everyone as a criminal. Which you could never even remotely prove

Cops need more respect.

But unfortunately its not as simple as attempting to enforce respect. As the adage claims, it has to be earned. It's regainable. But it takes a lot longer to regain trust and respect than it does to lose it. So while I think the problem lies in a lack of respect for law enforcement, I think its on law enforcement to make the changes necessary to regain this respect, because expecting it to appear among the fearmongered populace isn't going to work.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Cops need more respect.

But unfortunately its not as simple as attempting to enforce respect. As the adage claims, it has to be earned. It's regainable. But it takes a lot longer to regain trust and respect than it does to lose it. So while I think the problem lies in a lack of respect for law enforcement, I think its on law enforcement to make the changes necessary to regain this respect, because expecting it to appear among the fearmongered populace isn't going to work.
    Difficult to do though. There will always be cuntflap cops out there doing cuntish things. PArt of the problem is when one of them does something bad its turned into a national media frenzy whilst all the good they do gets ignored.

How do you combat something when its hip to hate on law enforcement and the media are out to get you?

It's a vicious circle. People seem to forget that the majority of these issues are police vs criminals. Dont break the law > dont have problems with the police.

When the actions of the minority get banded around as what "they all do" they get twitchy when everyone and their wife seem out to get them.

Criminals get treated like the criminals they are. You are proving my comment in that you are assuming that the majority of cops treat everyone as a criminal. Which you could never even remotely prove
    Except where they are encouraged to shoot first if someone "looks suspicious", which is a cover all excuse. I don't think they are just slaughtering everyone. They do have much more leeway to make "mistakes" in a country where someone wants your job for giving them a cheeseburger.

And there's a man named Lavar in SC that has a bullet in him for not being a criminal. Not everyone who gets cuffed or shot is a criminal. (Or they weren't one until they were designated as one.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad to see they shot the guy. I get tired of seeing attempts to negotiate with insane criminals when a bullet could end the situation so quickly an easily. Kudos to the cops.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

How do you combat something when its hip to hate on law enforcement and the media are out to get you?
    This isn't the most ethical answer; but the first one that comes to mind would be "throw a few of your own to the wolves". Sate the media, until it goes seeking other prey.

Lock up a few officers responsible for 'questionable' use of force leading to fatalities. At least until the media frenzy has moved on a little, then you can run an appeal. I appreciate this comes with the additional problem of strike action and resignations as officers no longer feel protected (which I'd agree they ought to be to an extent, same as firefighters and anyone else with a duty to serve the public). I don't know how much communication occurs up the police ladder and across state borders with regards to *how* the whole system operates; but I'm sure that this issue isn't unknown to police officers themselves, and they surely will be wanting a solution that works.

I dunno its really a bit beyond me anyways. The right answer is "the media should be held more responsible for the crap they publish" but you may as well try and fight the banks

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'm sure there's at least one reporter who doesn't know that tank means treads.
    Not all tanks have treads.

So far this year we're around 3 people being killed by cops in the US every day. Our entire law enforcement/prison complex is out of control and needs to be dealt with.
    Yet with this stat that people seem to think shows a problem, the only one that seems obviously unjustified is Walter Scott. When you actually read about the circumstances involved in these, instead of making an opinion off of what is a meaningless number on its own, it seems pretty clear cut why these people were shot and you realize there isn't a problem at all.

So far this year we're around 3 people being killed by cops in the US every day. Our entire law enforcement/prison complex is out of control and needs to be dealt with.
    Using the most conservative numbers, around 270 people die every day due to a medical professional making a mistake.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Using the most conservative numbers, around 270 people die every day due to a medical professional making a mistake.
    I bet they are all black too! Those evil racist power hungry doctors!!!
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Deleted
    Actually one of the aspects of "wikiwormholing" I have enjoyed most is reading about all these "forgotten" battles across American history between the people and, well, local law enforcement mostly but call it "government"; over strikes and other labour things. I say 'forgotten' they are probably not slightly in the US but still, never hear about it over here as its 'small news' I guess. Maybe I'm just really ignorant, and actually most people know about them, either ways

Either ways, all I really meant was that recently there seems to be more and more of a divide growing between 'civilians' (cops are civilians too) and law enforcement; with those NY cops shot dead in their patrol car earlier in the year (last year even) and other incidents. And I hope the situation calms down because if it gets much worse, it woul appear that quite a lot of your system is going to 'break down' and a lot of innocent people are going to suffer for it, on both sides.
    Whilst I can agree, the difficulty comes when they havn't actually broken any law in it. We cant just throw some in jail for borderline issues where its not 100% either way.

I don't really have an answer myself either. Suppose the first step would be for them to be fully transparent with their investigations so that there cant be any accusation of coverups. BUt then you still have to fight the social issues in demographics where "fuck the police" will always be prevelent

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Except where they are encouraged to shoot first if someone "looks suspicious", which is a cover all excuse. I don't think they are just slaughtering everyone. They do have much more leeway to make "mistakes" in a country where someone wants your job for giving them a cheeseburger.

And there's a man named Lavar in SC that has a bullet in him for not being a criminal. Not everyone who gets cuffed or shot is a criminal. (Or they weren't one until they were designated as one.)
    Whilst i agree they should never shoot first for "looking suspicious" there seems to be too much of an opinion that police should wait until they get shot first before taking actions.

IMO part of the problem is allowing the public to have guns. But that's a different topic altogether. You will always have police brutality and fuckups regardless of the weapons used, but I couldn't honestly say i would feel too secure in some of the situations i see when you never know if they are going to shoot you.

Not everyone who gets sho or cuffed is a criminal no, but not every police officer is an abusive dickwipe either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    I bet they are all black too! Those evil racist power hungry doctors!!!
    Actually according to the guardian link from earlier half the people killed this year so far are white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Actually according to the guardian link from earlier half the people killed this year so far are white.
    I would have thought it would be more than that honestly with whites being almost two thirds of the population. I wonder what causes the departure from a relatively uniform per capita distribution in accidental medical deaths.

Deleted
    to continue in the "mmo champion" syle... If they weren't black they must have all been poor...

15+ Year Old Account
    1/5 of all the US cops kill are unarmed.
    Kindergarten cops by western standards.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.