Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Dark Matter

The six-person crew of a derelict spaceship awakens from stasis in the farthest reaches of space. Their memories wiped clean, they have no recollection of who they are or how they got on board. The only clue to their identities is a cargo bay full of weaponry and a destination: a remote mining colony that is about to become a war zone. With no idea whose side they are on, they face a deadly decision. Will these amnesiacs turn their backs on history, or will their pasts catch up with them?

A new TV show from syfy that actually looks good and the pilot so far has obtained an IMDB rating of 7.8, User reviews on rotten tomatoes is mixed.
    First episode is out and will be watching it later today.

Anyone seen it yet? What's your opinion of the pilot?

I didn't think it was bad, so I'll keep watching it. I'm a sucker for sci fi tho...

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks good. intriguing concept, looks fairly high budget, a couple of smoking hotties and a Space Samurai. I'm in. I'll check out the pilot at an as unsure point in the future.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched the first episode myself, the pilot did not blow me away.

There's plenty of room still to build up and so i'll watch a few more episodes in to see where it goes. I did expected a bit more from the pilot and expected it to be more technical but that's just my thing with sci-fi.

10+ Year Old Account
    eh, just gone done with the Pilot, it's... Okay, I guess.

Story/concept is good, probably the best part of the pilot.

Acting is... Okay. I've seen worse but I've seen WAY better.

Character are probably the weakest point... They all seem like they're ripped off from other better shows. I mean you've got the big guya with a big gun and bad attiude = Jayne, small cute girl (and she is REALLY cute...) who's good with Tech = Kaylee, big strong commanding lady = Aeryn Sun etc.

The reveal at the end... THAT is probably what will make me come back and watch more.

Also, how did no one notice that the cute tech girl wasn't on the passenger list at the end?

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Not a bad pilot at all. I figured out the plot as soon as they started talking with the towns people. And the firefly character steals are pretty glaring. But firefly was awesome so Im all for burrowing good ideas. Will continue to watch and hope it develops.

The first few minutes I was a bit unsure. My main problem was naming themselves numbers, this is pretty uninspired and not realistic. Aside from the whole convenient writers plot of selective amnesia you think you could give yourself a nickname at the very least.

i've bitched about firefly cancellation a million times by now. there's no room for me to complain if a show copies it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    i've bitched about firefly cancellation a million times by now. there's no room for me to complain if a show copies it.
    If this show was 10% of the quality, poeple wouldn't be complaining .

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Not a bad pilot at all. I figured out the plot as soon as they started talking with the towns people. And the firefly character steals are pretty glaring. But firefly was awesome so Im all for burrowing good ideas. Will continue to watch and hope it develops.

The first few minutes I was a bit unsure. My main problem was naming themselves numbers, this is pretty uninspired and not realistic. Aside from the whole convenient writers plot of selective amnesia you think you could give yourself a nickname at the very least.
    Nick names are generally based on a bastardization of your name, your personality, or something great or foolish you've done. How can you expect someone to choose a nickname when they have no clue who they are or what they do for a living. None of the other crew members have a clue either, so actually numbers was the only thing they could come up with. Or we could go with your idea and they'd be

Big Black Guy
    Hot Bossy Woman
    Green Hair Girl
    Angry White Man
    Emo White Dude
    Sword Guy
    Fem-bot

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Nick names are generally based on a bastardization of your name, your personality, or something great or foolish you've done. How can you expect someone to choose a nickname when they have no clue who they are or what they do for a living. None of the other crew members have a clue either, so actually numbers was the only thing they could come up with. Or we could go with your idea and they'd be

Big Black Guy
    Hot Bossy Woman
    Green Hair Girl
    Angry White Man
    Emo White Dude
    Sword Guy
    Fem-bot
    Sure you can be that narrow minded. But it was a missed opportunity to flesh out some character development or even foreshadow their personality, they could have come up with names for each other quite easily outside of "big black guy". Possibly bbg for short. Also could have the last person giving themselves a simple name like doug for comedy. I'd be impressed if you can remember what characters got which numbers without rewatching it.

I get the whole anonymity thing. They dont know who they are. Lets call ourselves numbers, cool. Reservoir dogs did it better in 1992 calling each other a color. Color has more personality than numbers and in the context it made sense because they wanted to hide their real life names from each other.

This is just a lazy way of reminding the audience they don't know who they are even though the first 10mins explained this in detail.

Just watched the first episode. Thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to more

Watched it, liked it, commented here. Done.

Can't say if I like it or not yet, it feels good atleast. It's a space sci-fi though, so whatever, for me it's like cake, you can't not like cake, everything with sugar in it is sweet, therefore good. We need more of these and less vampire craptasies. I only wish it involves more science, exploration, and such, not just combat, weapons, tits, and kinky fuckery (50 shades of gray quote)

FTL looked weird, but interesting.
    Needs more in-space scenes. And aliens. There's got to be aliens.

Deleted
    Way too early to tell, yet.
    However from the first episode it looks promising, as long as they don't screw the pooch on this, it could turn into one of the better syfy (hate that branding) channels shows.

Reminder to everyone who enjoyed this, or just likes Sci-Fi shows, Killjoys starts tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Reminder to everyone who enjoyed this, or just likes Sci-Fi shows, Killjoys starts tonight.
    Fridays should be pretty sweet now. We've got Defiance, Killjoys, and Dark Matter right in row for 3 hours of sci fi.

Defiance still doing pretty well? I stopped watching halfway through season 2 because Hulu made it a pain. I have cable again so it will be easier to watch now if it's still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Defiance still doing pretty well? I stopped watching halfway through season 2 because Hulu made it a pain. I have cable again so it will be easier to watch now if it's still worth it.
    I thought the premier was pretty good. It seems like they were able to get a bigger budget too. There was probably more CGI in the first 2 episodes than there has been in the first 2 seasons.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    eh, just gone done with the Pilot, it's... Okay, I guess.

Story/concept is good, probably the best part of the pilot.

Acting is... Okay. I've seen worse but I've seen WAY better.

Character are probably the weakest point... They all seem like they're ripped off from other better shows. I mean you've got the big guya with a big gun and bad attiude = Jayne, small cute girl (and she is REALLY cute...) who's good with Tech = Kaylee, big strong commanding lady = Aeryn Sun etc.

The reveal at the end... THAT is probably what will make me come back and watch more.

Also, how did no one notice that the cute tech girl wasn't on the passenger list at the end?
    I watched the first episode based on your reveal comment. I was hoping for more, but it does show some promise. I did notice that she wasn't on the crew list (and I had forgotten you mentioned it here, so I noticed it "independent" of your comment, if that makes sense). Haven't seen the second episode yet, hopefully it moves forward quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does not. Awful awful show. I'll watch one more episode, because the three episode rule is the closest thing I have to religeon, but if it doesn't get a lot better I'll not bother with episode 4.

It's made all the worse by airing after Killjoys, which is a show with SERIOUS promise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it I want to know whats behind that damn door.