Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    What constitutes a "large employer"? Chances are, a convenience store is going to fall short of that by a wide margin.
    My state defines it by volume of sales. Specifically $500,000 here. A "convenience store" is likely part of a larger chain or franchise ownership.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    My state defines it by volume of sales. Specifically $500,000 here. A "convenience store" is likely part of a larger chain or franchise ownership.
    It doesn't matter what your state defines it as, in regards to the ACA. Federal law supercedes state law in this matter.

I would suggest wool socks to help with standing for long periods of time. Wool socks cushion the feet as well or better than any other socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    It doesn't matter what your state defines it as, in regards to the ACA. Federal law supercedes state law in this matter.
    I guess I missed the part about ACA. Each state has its own rules about "large" and "small" employers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    So I grabbed a summer job, it's been my first, i guess "serious" job. I worked for a few summers with my moms friend about 13-20 hours a week, an under the table type of job. Now, however, i decided to get an actual job and I have a few questions. also i'm in the US
    I worked for a few summers with my moms friend about 13-20 hours a week, an under the table type of job.
    with my moms friend ... an under the table type of job.
    O.o niiiiiiiiiiiiice

Deleted
    Is this normal pratice in America with low paying jobs. 8 hour workdays with no breaks? Overhere you get a break every 4 hours (if you want one), the breaks are unpaid, and such an 8 hour workday takes 8 hours and 30 minutes for you to complete.

I'd recommend running shoes and thin socks. That pairing works for hours of running without foot pain for a reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Is this normal pratice in America with low paying jobs. 8 hour workdays with no breaks? Overhere you get a break every 4 hours (if you want one), the breaks are unpaid, and such an 8 hour workday takes 8 hours and 30 minutes for you to complete.
    No, it's actually illegal in most states. Here's New York's laws, for example. My impression is that there's not a federal law for it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    the 39 hours is so they dont have to give you any benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    O.o niiiiiiiiiiiiice
    I see what you did there.

Relevant information:

Meals and Breaks

Florida labor laws require employers to grant a meal period of at least 30 minutes to employees under the age of 18 who work for more than 4 hours continuously. Florida Stat. 450.081(4).

Florida does not have any laws requiring an employer to provide a meal period or breaks to employees 18 years of age or older, thus the federal rule applies. The federal rule does not require an employer to provide either a meal (lunch) period or breaks. However, if an employer chooses to do so, breaks, usually of the type lasting less than 20 minutes, must be paid. Meal or lunch periods (usually 30 minutes or more) do not need to be paid, so long as the employee is free to do as they wish during the meal or lunch period. DOL: Breaks and Meal Periods.
    FL does not require any employer to pay any additional benefits other than wages regardless of hours worked up to 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd recommend running shoes and thin socks. That pairing works for hours of running without foot pain for a reason.
    Running is very different from standing. My running shoes actually massage my feet a little while I run. Not so much when I'm still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow if you're seriously working for 8 hours without a lunch break that's against the law I'm almost certain. They're either taking advantage of you assuming you don't know better so I'd say ask or demand. And they do the 39 hours thing because they don't want you to get benefits that full time employees do. Just means they have to spend more money.

As for the feet thing, well it just gets easier friend. Try and get some comfy shoes with support is about the best advice I can give you. And savor every single break :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Wow if you're seriously working for 8 hours without a lunch break that's against the law I'm almost certain.

As for the feet thing, well it just gets easier friend.
    It's not illegal in Florida as already mentioned. The OP just has to be more assertive. If an employer doesn't let you at least clock out to grab a bite, I'd suggest finding a different employer.

And the standing part? Yes, it gets easier. Good shoes, as suggested. Also, mind your posture.

You're legally required a break every so often. This website will tell you the law based on what state you're in.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm

The other thing, is that 39 hours is full time. Anything over 30 is. At least, I thought so...
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    You're legally required a break every so often. This website will tell you the law based on what state you're in.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm

The other thing, is that 39 hours is full time. Anything over 30 is. At least, I thought so...
    It's full time, but 40 is benefits and such. You can be sure they're directly attempting to shaft you when you get scheduled for 39 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedia View Post
    8 hours without at least a 30 min break for lunch is brutal.
    the only time ive experienced this is working at a gas station in highschool, it was just me in a small kiosk thing, i could lock it up and run to the bathroom if i had to, but there was no one to relieve for a lunch break, you just ate/smoked/relaxed when it was slow.

also, as said, buy the most comfortable shoes you can afford then buy a pair of Dr Scholl's insoles. they will save you a lot of pain. which should subside in a week or so regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It's full time, but 40 is benefits and such. You can be sure they're directly attempting to shaft you when you get scheduled for 39 hours.
    There's no definition of "full time" at all that I know of, other than the 30 hours as defined by the ACA, and 1.5x pay for hours over 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    No you aren't FFS you could have read at least what you posted. He lives in Florida it's one of the states that do not have any laws regarding breaks.