Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Interracial Adoption

Hello everyone,

So a while back I read an interesting book by Randall Kennedy:an african American faculty member at an Ivy League Law School. He has written several books about race in the U.S. His most recent title is Interracial intimacies:A book about the history of interracial relationships in the U.S (couples, families, and adoption.) In the last couple of chapters, Kennedy talks about and argues against lobbying groups that either have (or still do) advocate for laws that disallow or hinder white couples from adopting black children.

According to Mr Kennedy, the National Association of Black Social Workers are behind the lobbying. According to him, they give the following rationale: Black children should be paired with black parents because white parents are unable (or would have difficulty) in nurturing the child with issues related to racial identity and racism directed towards them. (I'm paraphrasing here. I can't find my copy and I haven't read it again in about a month or so)

After considering their argument, I just cannot get behind it. I was objective as I could be. Here are my reasons:

1. Just because black parent experiences racism that is different from the white experience does not mean they can help their child cope with it. This is like saying that parents who have experienced domestic abuse can better teach and nurture their children in that regard. The argument assumes that the victim comes out the other side a better person and then can teach their child the same lesson.

2. Even if their assumption was true, the fact remains that there aren't as many black couples to meet the demand for black children.The Socioeconomic status of blacks isn't as great as whites, so it makes sense that they cannot afford to adopt and care for a child. I think that people are also inclined to be around people that are similar to them, so it's fair to say that white couples are more likely to adopt white children. By either hindering or preventing such adoption from economically capable white parents that are willing to adopt black children, you are keeping black orphans in the system longer than they have to be, possibly wedging the chance they have to live a better life.

I didn't even know that this was an issue until I read the book, and Mr Kennedy seems like a genuine guy. He seems firmly in the center with race issues. Because of this, I wanted to share it with you guys and gather your thoughts. I'll probably only give time to people who give input that isn't business as usual (Dat's racist, nuh-uh etc) because I really want to pick your brains about what you guys think. Do you agree with me? Am I overlooking anything? What do you think?

Here's an article about Randall Kennedy. It's a pretty good summary. http://harvardmagazine.com/2013/05/b...shades-of-gray

Here's the book in question for those interested: http://www.amazon.com/Interracial-In.../dp/0375702644

TLDR: Are interracial adoptions (white parents and black orphan) good or should we encourage uniracial adoption?
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-06-15 at 02:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think recognizing your ethnic roots is important, and a multiracial family may face some challenges in that regard, but if they're prepared to meet those challenges, I don't really see the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I think recognizing your ethnic roots is important, and a multiracial family may face some challenges in that regard, but if they're prepared to meet those challenges, I don't really see the issue.
    How hard is it to recognize your ethnic roots? I don't think that's much of a challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    It comes right down to 3 things love, saftey and security. Those are the only things important race is unimportant any argument I've ever seen to the contrary is moronic and soft bigotry at best.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I am against it.
    Against what? White parents adopting black children?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Against what? White parents adopting black children?
    All of it, any combo.

All of it, any combo.
    May I ask why?

May I ask why?
    Numerous reasons, I don't see any good in it all from any angle.

It's important for someone to tell a kid about what it means to be black in the US. But it only takes an hour and you could probably find some black person willing to do it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    May I ask why?
    Unless you have a large bottle of ibuprofen you're better off not asking.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    A loving and stable home is what matters most.
    This. These children desperately just need somewhere to be safe and a person to call mom and dad, who gives a damn what color their skin is.

inb4 raise-by-white privilege becomes a thing

Barak Obama didn't have a lot of black influence in his life and he seems to have done pretty well for himself.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmage View Post
    This. These children desperately just need somewhere to be safe and a person to call mom and dad, who gives a damn what color their skin is.

inb4 raise-by-white privilege becomes a thing
    I mean, there can be a disconnect there, which is why i'm not firmly against it yet. I used to know a black girl who was adopted by a white family. Looking back at it, there was a disconnect. Whether it be because she lived outside the metro area or went to a catholic school, something was there, though I cannot pin just what.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    How hard is it to recognize your ethnic roots? I don't think that's much of a challenge.
    I don't recognize my Germanic roots, so I am somewhat confused by the need for non-whites to recognize their "ethnic roots". The kid obviously didn't come from another country (assuming for the moment, they're an american child regardless of color). It is unlikely that their immediate family did. So their "ethic roots" are what, American?

What "ethic roots" do all black children have in common that need to be recognized?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    A loving and stable home is what matters most.
    I agree. His argument would seem to suggest that black people and white people are inherently different and completely incapable of understanding each other. In other words it seems to be very pro-segregation. I think the "racial identity" thing is bullshit too though. People shouldn't be defined by their race. That said, as with most things regarding adoption, I'm biased. I was adopted by white people. I'm Asian though not black-don't know if that matters any in this context.

Deleted
    Raising a black child is exactly the same as raising a white child. There are no race specific inherent problems that make some skin colors unsuitable to raise differently colored children. Black roots is not a thing for the same reason that white roots is not a thing. It's important to some people on a personal level to know where their ancestors came from but it's not relevant or vital information. It's nothing of importance when raising a child unless that child explicitly asks. All children of all colors needs love, security, shelter and food, that's it, nothing more and nothing less.

And teaching a child about racism(Meanies) is not difficult for any race. Some people are assholes and they'll do their very best to keep you from succeeding in life. All humans of all colors experience this shit in one form or another. For black people it's predominantly racism based on color, for whites it's classism. The only thing that differs between black and white problems is what the meanies have on you and what they use to get to you. But it's essentially the same shit and you deal with it in the same way. There's no special code of conduct for different races on how to handle assholes or how to succeed against the odds.

This whole black and white thing is silly as shit. It's like people think you need a special license to understand another human being. We get how you work, same as everybody else, not a single fucking difference. It's like when you crash a friends couch for a few days and they show you where the shower is and then they feel it's necessary to instruct you how it works as if it's a super special magical shower you wouldn't be able to figure it out by yourself. What's the difference between a black and a white toddler? Aren't they both blank slates waiting to be programmed by their parents?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't recognize my Germanic roots, so I am somewhat confused by the need for non-whites to recognize their "ethnic roots". The kid obviously didn't come from another country (assuming for the moment, they're an american child regardless of color). It is unlikely that their immediate family did. So their "ethic roots" are what, American?

What "ethic roots" do all black children have in common that need to be recognized?
    Being of mixed racial descent myself, I decided to look into my heritage. I was disappointed by what I found, and want nothing to do with it on any count.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

"Race" is an artificial construct. I think humans will eventually move beyond it, but probably not in any of our lifetimes.

I can't believe that any sane person in 2015 would argue against interracial adoption.

Note that I'm excluding the internet in that remark, due to the word "sane".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.