... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Doom

Official Site

http://doom.com/en-us/

Publisher's site for more specific news and articles

https://bethesda.net

MAY 13TH, 2016!
    Last edited by zEmini; 2018-06-11 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Sequel is possible.

kotaku link.

Okay no.

I saw the E3 stream on twitch, it is AMAZING!

unfortunately, gaming has moved on and i think it wont be very popular. definitely wont get to re-live the hey days where FPS reigned supreme.

its all about MOBA / Open world games now.

edit: also... the number of people spamming MASTER CHIEF / HALO on twitch when Doom was playing... *facepalm*

games look awesome, still needs 10 months to go, no fps until then !
    Be feared, or be fuel

It looks like Doom 3. This is not a compliment.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    It looked amazing probably be my first Doom game
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for it. I loved every doom game. Especially doom3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post

its all about MOBA / Open world games now.
    I sure hope not I have yet to play a MOBA I can stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    edit: also... the number of people spamming MASTER CHIEF / HALO on twitch when Doom was playing... *facepalm*
    Get used to it. The Halo fanboys seem to think Bungie invented science fiction.

I watched expecting to be disappointed, after hearing execution kills and double jumping and such. Then of course after hearing that I (finally) play Brutal Doom no more than a month ago. Loving Brutal Doom too, not so much executions but its completely optional so whatever. Have to say I wasn't disappointed though, as this actually seemed to feel somewhat like classic Doom, or at least Brutal Doom. Especially compared to 3 (which was fun in its own right). I'll still get it no matter what, cause Doom is awesome.
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible! ~Kamina, Gurren Lagann

...You'll kill my dick?! What the hell does that even mean? I'll kill your dick! ~Grayson Hunt, Bulletstorm

Multiplayer - Whyyyyyyyyyy. Nobody played it in Doom 3, and nobody will play it in Doom 4.

Other than that, I mostly liked what I saw of the totally 100% legit in-game footage trailer. Not sure how I feel about melee kills (if the AI is as stupid as it was in Doom 3 then 90% of the game will be just melee killing them all for one hit kills), but they did have some fantastic animations.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Anyone see the video of it? Looks awesome! I am especially looking forward to the easy to use level editor and modding!

http://kotaku.com/doom-is-finally-co...016-1711312032
    No, it looks like a lazy update to DOOM 3. I was all excited to see the video too and a few seconds into all I can think was "this is just a graphics update to the 11 year old DOOM3". Reused art assets like weapons, the animations from fire spitting out of the pipers, environment details and even level design. All the ripping out hearts is new, but the time between DOOM 3 and DOOM 4 is actually longer than the time between 2 and 3, yet they are half assing and just reusing shit that's over a decade old.

It be different if this was just a sequel getting released a couple years after the last one. But this is supposed to be a series reboot after an 11 year gap.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I sure hope not I have yet to play a MOBA I can stand.
    me neither, but the trend now is MOBA though, just look at LoL in terms of competitions and game coverage.

my colleagues would have no problems trying out a kiddy looking game like LoL but Quake/Doom type games... nope.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Multiplayer - Whyyyyyyyyyy. Nobody played it in Doom 3, and nobody will play it in Doom 4.

Other than that, I mostly liked what I saw of the totally 100% legit in-game footage trailer. Not sure how I feel about melee kills (if the AI is as stupid as it was in Doom 3 then 90% of the game will be just melee killing them all for one hit kills), but they did have some fantastic animations.
    Speak for yourself, I love Doom Multiplayer.

The Melee Killing also required them to be damaged til they glowed before he "1 shot" them.

The Community creation editor looks amazing aswell.

I think it looks fantastic. I loved Doom/II when I was younger, hated Doom 3. This definitely looks like they went back to the faster paced style of the early games.

The first minute of the demo made it look like Doom 3, and I was thinking 'uh oh', then it really took off.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    I think it looks fantastic. I loved Doom/II when I was younger, hated Doom 3. This definitely looks like they went back to the faster paced style of the early games.

The first minute of the demo made it look like Doom 3, and I was thinking 'uh oh', then it really took off.
    It is DOOM 3, just with "executions" added to it. Otherwises its the exact same game, assets and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    It is DOOM 3, just with "executions" added to it. Otherwises its the exact same game, assets and all.
    It's clearly not. I have no idea how you can even say this. Doom 3 was a hallway crawler with monster jumps. Much slower paced, and with that damn flashlight. There certainly appear to be many more monsters, much faster paced combat, more open maps, and so on.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    I think you need your eyes checked if you think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    It's clearly not. I have no idea how you can even say this. Doom 3 was a hallway crawler with monster jumps. Much slower paced, and with that damn flashlight. There certainly appear to be many more monsters, much faster paced combat, more open maps, and so on.
    Every single thing in the game play, visually, was straight from DOOM 3. A little extra polish on the models, but that's it. Also, that video was likely the first 6 minutes of the game, which was faster paced in DOOM 3 too. We don't have enough info to know that we won't see the horror story element, "hallway crawler with the flashlight", in this game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I think you need your eyes checked if you think that.
    Go watch the video with your eyes open this time. One easy copied assets to spot is the plasma gun. Here's the DOOM 3 version for reference.

The new one has a higher polygon count, but they reused the same base asset from more than a decade ago. Which, again, would be fine for a sequel being made a couple years after the previous one, but this is supposed to be a franchise reboot.
    Last edited by Slicer299; 2015-06-15 at 05:02 AM.

I heard that the first gameplay video is from the 2nd level, and the hell gameplay video is from about half-way through the game. I have no idea how long the game is supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_XbtE6g3GM